SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

You can call it luck if you want, but I think it is fair to say NDSU has more talent players 1-10 than UND and most others in the Summit right now. With what is coming back next year from their current rosters, I don't see UND overtaking NDSU next year. UND's most pressing need may be a point guard.  Stewart is talented, but if he is your team leader you may have issues. 

We will never really know what would have happened if SDSU didn't get knocked off.  The bottom line is NDSU played the teams they had to play and won.  They could have lost against WIU or ORU or Omaha.  Was it fortunate that they didn't play SDSU? Well yes, but any team in the league would say the same thing in the same position.  Lucky? I think every team that makes it to March Madness needs a little luck in their season, but I wouldn't call it a fluke what NDSU did,  they played well enough against the teams they played and won the tournament. 

On paper yes, because NDSU brings everyone back and UND loses two players in Avants and Seales. (As of right now, I'm picking NDSU to win in next year).  I wouldn't say the gap is insurmountable however.  We will see what both teams add or lose here in the off-season and we can reassess at a later date.  I think its a 1A 1B situation in need for UND with PG and another big (prefer someone who can play the 5 spot). 

Your Marlon point is spot on, he needs to step it up and be an 1st team All-Summit type player and play the ENTIRE season. 

12 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

You can call it luck if you want, but I think it is fair to say NDSU has more talent players 1-10 than UND and most others in the Summit right now. With what is coming back next year from their current rosters, I don't see UND overtaking NDSU next year. UND's most pressing need may be a point guard.  Stewart is talented, but if he is your team leader you may have issues. 

Don't forget that they have that 7 footer from Dickinson (Meidinger) siting in the wings.  If he gets healthy, he will add to the post presence greatly.

5 minutes ago, Really? said:

Don't forget that they have that 7 footer from Dickinson (Meidinger) siting in the wings.  If he gets healthy, he will add to the post presence greatly.

Watching a bit of him in high school and considering his injury history, he's a long way off from being a contributor.

If you actually saw NDSU play in person at any point this season going to the Dance should shock you. I saw them live twice.......brutal. $1000 of gfhockey's money even Richman didn't see this coming.

21 hours ago, Stockdamhockey said:

My guess is Sara will be back on the roster at NDSU. She is currently enrolled there. Would be a HUGE get for UND, but doubt Momma would let it happen.

She would be a huge get for Moorhead State.  I don't see her as a DI athlete. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I wouldn’t go that far. We had our chance to bear Omaha and didn’t.  Bisons played three solid games. Luck?

They beat 300 RPI Oral Roberts, 334 RPI Western Illinois in the SEMI FINAL, and 130 RPI Omaha.  That's not necessarily a high achievement to win all three of those games.  They are lucky the summit sucks this year.  And they are also lucky Crandall left UND, because I think he would have put us at or near the top of the weak summit this year.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

SDSU has 2-3 players that carry their team.  when they are off, you can see what happens.  NDSU has the deepest bench in the league.  that is why they won the Summit Tournament.

NDSU won because they shot 10-20, 14-26 and 10-24 from 3's (48.6%) over a three game stretch, significantly above their season average of 35.5% heading into the tournament. That calculates out to three extra 3-pointers per game. Tough to do in three games in three days. They did and beat the teams they faced regardless of who it was, congrats to them.

30 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

They beat 300 RPI Oral Roberts, 334 RPI Western Illinois in the SEMI FINAL, and 130 RPI Omaha.  That's not necessarily a high achievement to win all three of those games.  They are lucky the summit sucks this year.  And they are also lucky Crandall left UND, because I think he would have put us at or near the top of the weak summit this year.

Ndsu is lucky that your program can’t hold on to players? I guess that’s one way to spin it and make yourself feel better!

24 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Everyone saying NDSU got lucky blah blah blah needs to shut up. Yeah sure SDSU losing was fortunate but we had the same opportunity to take advantage and we didn’t. 

...to take advantage of playing Oral Roberts and Western Illinois to reach the championship game?  Sign me up next year for that.

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

...to take advantage of playing Oral Roberts and Western Illinois to reach the championship game?  Sign me up next year for that.

Ndsu got hot shooting at the right time and took advantage of their situation.  They beat Omaha, we didn't.  It's that simple.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't North Dakota also have a chance at beating 130 RPI Omaha in this tournament?  If NDSU is "lucky" to have had the opportunity to play such a poor team, what's your excuse for the Fighting Hawks blowing the exact same opportunity?  Surely you can do better than "Crandall left."  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't North Dakota also have a chance at beating 130 RIP Omaha in this tournament?  If NDSU is "lucky" to have had the opportunity to play such a poor team, what's your excuse for the Fighting Hawks blowing the exact same opportunity?  Surely you can do better than "Crandall left."  

I mean, not a stretch to say Geno would have been an all-conference player this year considering he did it his sophomore and junior years and that would have made a significant difference for a team that didn't really have a true point guard.

Yes, UND had their shot at Omaha and they couldn't quite get it done. If they could gotten "lucky" and managed to shoot 48.6% from 3 instead of right in line with their season average of 37%, they would have had 6 additional points, which would have worked out nice since they lost by 5. But they didn't.

Just for reference, NDSU didn't have a single 3 game stretch all season where they hit over 40% from 3 in each game until the Summit League tourney. They did it at the right time, hats off to them.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Correct, the group of fans I hang around with went to UND in the 70's where BB had good crowds. In our eyes, this new seating capacity made a statement. 

I would like to find the GF Herald article that was written when the Betty was announced.  If memory is correct, It stated that it would seat around 4,300.  Was that figure correct?  If so does that mean that additional seats can be added if needed?  Currently, 3.200 is sufficient as it barely, if ever sells out and is usually between 1,500-2,500...If either MBB or WBB gets back to more winning, maybe attendance will increase.

Also, in the 90's when Hyslop was getting crowds of 5,000, the men were much more comperitive in the NCC and the women won three National Championships.  Also, they played double headers, so you could watch 4 games over 2 days, not 4 days.  And not many games were on TV.  Now many games are on TV and people like me  say home and watch on TV.  How much does UND get from Midco?  Does the TV income replace the lost ticket sales?

I like the Betty, not sure if additional seats are necessary.

2 hours ago, HAWKS1 said:

I would like to find the GF Herald article that was written when the Betty was announced.  If memory is correct, It stated that it would seat around 4,300.  Was that figure correct?  If so does that mean that additional seats can be added if needed?  Currently, 3.200 is sufficient as it barely, if ever sells out and is usually between 1,500-2,500...If either MBB or WBB gets back to more winning, maybe attendance will increase.

Also, in the 90's when Hyslop was getting crowds of 5,000, the men were much more comperitive in the NCC and the women won three National Championships.  Also, they played double headers, so you could watch 4 games over 2 days, not 4 days.  And not many games were on TV.  Now many games are on TV and people like me  say home and watch on TV.  How much does UND get from Midco?  Does the TV income replace the lost ticket sales?

I like the Betty, not sure if additional seats are necessary.

I posted the following last week.  You are correct that the original capacity of the Betty was to be in the low 4,000s.  It was built quickly as they wanted it done before UND hosted the World Junior Hockey Tourney in December, '04.  There was not much planning that went into it and seating was scaled back significantly at the last minute. 

"The size of the Betty was decided by the Ralph.  In fact, when construction began, Coach Glas understood that the seating would be for 4,100.  Still too small but would have been much bigger/better than what we ended up with!" 

3 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I posted the following last week.  You are correct that the original capacity of the Betty was to be in the low 4,000s.  It was built quickly as they wanted it done before UND hosted the World Junior Hockey Tourney in December, '04.  There was not much planning that went into it and seating was scaled back significantly at the last minute. 

"The size of the Betty was decided by the Ralph.  In fact, when construction began, Coach Glas understood that the seating would be for 4,100.  Still too small but would have been much bigger/better than what we ended up with!" 

So once again hockey and the Engelstad family were the bus drivers on a pretty major decision at a public university regarding other sports?  That gift has to be one of the most controversial gifts in the history of college gifts!  You never hear of crap like this from schools like Oklahoma state with t Boone Pickens donation to name one example.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

So once again hockey and the Engelstad family were the bus drivers on a pretty major decision at a public university regarding other sports?  That gift has to be one of the most controversial gifts in the history of college gifts!  You never hear of crap like this from schools like Oklahoma state with t Boone Pickens donation to name one example.

Ummm, T Boone makes plenty of decisions down in Stillwater. 

NDSU just spent 50 million dollars on a hodge-podged misfit. The Betty was free, we'll take it and it's 3300 seats..

44 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Ummm, T Boone makes plenty of decisions down in Stillwater. 

NDSU just spent 50 million dollars on a hodge-podged misfit. The Betty was free, we'll take it and it's 3300 seats..

Link where his daughter has gotten into a pissing match with the president playing out in the media, I’ll wait.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Apparently, according to the two SMSU Basketball coaches after Miles (Stemen and Bigler), this wasn't the first time he has done this. LOL

Tim has the tuck and roll down pretty good.   If basketball doesn't work out he could teach gym.