SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

after seeing a lot of empy seats at the denny and even tho it's pretty much a home game for sdsu i think it's dumb not have the #1 seed host on campus...the whole point of the post season tournament is to get the best team to represent your confernece at the NCAA's...neither ndac or omaha have much of chance of winning a game...sdsu (if daum shows up) could pull off a shocker...or two and make some $$ for the summit (and it's conference members)

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

after seeing a lot of empy seats at the denny and even tho it's pretty much a home game for sdsu i think it's dumb not have the #1 seed host on campus...the whole point of the post season tournament is to get the best team to represent your confernece at the NCAA's...neither ndac or omaha have much of chance of winning a game...sdsu (if daum shows up) could pull off a shocker...or two and make some $$ for the summit (and it's conference members)

Totally disagree, but I guess we are both entitled to our opinions.   PFW or Western hosting, entirely possible under your scenario would be utter disasters.  Think about that possibility.  On campus in Brookings?  Not great either.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Herd said:

Totally disagree, but I guess we are both entitled to our opinions.   PFW or Western hosting, entirely possible under your scenario would be utter disasters.  Think about that possibility.  On campus in Brookings?  Not great either.

Most here would probably agree with you.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Believe it or not, there have been many upsets by mid majors in the NCAA tournament.  And, many of those mid majors weren't the #1 seed in their conference tournament.  #16 seed UMBC that beat Virginia last year didn't win their conference last year.  They were the #2 seed.

Big Sky had campus games. Then went to a neutral site that was a disaster in Reno.

Teams and fans have time to plan for neutral site. Get a tradition like St. Paul for hockey going in Sioux Falls. (South Dakota schools are leading the way. Like UND does in hockey.)

4 Dakota teams in the semifinals would be a blast. Sioux Falls seems like the perfect place if you cheer for a Dakota school.

58 minutes ago, Herd said:

what's wrong with Frost?

the goal of the post season tournament should be to get your best team in to the ncaa's...that team hosting the tournament on campus in front of a partisan crowd....packed to the rafters is what the summit should go to.  

don't feel too sorry for sdsu bc it is basically a home game for them in terms of fans but this tourney should have been in brookings.

Went to the championship game last year between USD and SDSU. Atmosphere was great obviously with the two schools close location but I don’t think Bismarck or Billings would provide a better option. The only way I see it leaving SF anytime soon is if they elect to go to campus sites but I would prefer to see it stay as is. 

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what's wrong with Frost?

Dining, logistics, hotel rooms.  Everything bad, including a small arena.  If you could sell 12k tickets, why have it in a 5k arena?

nothing wrong with Frost, but it’s not the premier Center on tv.  Hosting on campus, yuck.  Do you see the NEC arena?  Small time.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the goal of the post season tournament should be to get your best team in to the ncaa's...that team hosting the tournament on campus in front of a partisan crowd....packed to the rafters is what the summit should go to.  

don't feel too sorry for sdsu bc it is basically a home game for them in terms of fans but this tourney should have been in brookings.

No it shouldn’t.  If that was the goal, you wouldn’t even have a tournament. Sdsu is the best team, but the tournament is used to choose your representative.

The goal is to have a fair/equitable tournament for all teams to generate fan interest, money, and crown a champion. 

7 minutes ago, Herd said:

No it shouldn’t.  If that was the goal, you wouldn’t even have a tournament. Sdsu is the best team, but the tournament is used to choose your representative.

The goal is to have a fair/equitable tournament for all teams to generate fan interest, money, and crown a champion. 

yes...it should.  As a conference you want your best team in the tournament to win games, win money, and increase  the profile of your conference.

Fair?  You win the regular season conference title you get to reward your team, school, and town with a nice weekend tourney.  Didn't know Brookings was the end of the road...if so, why are we losing so many recruits to them them?

18 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yes...it should.  As a conference you want your best team in the tournament to win games, win money, and increase  the profile of your conference.

Fair?  You win the regular season conference title you get to reward your team, school, and town with a nice weekend tourney.  Didn't know Brookings was the end of the road...if so, why are we losing so many recruits to them them?

One of the biggest reasons for the big sky moving away from on campus arenas is because it is a disaster when trying to make last second travel arrangements in small towns.  The Summit tournament also makes tons of money for the conference and has better attendance than many high major conf tournaments.   No reason to move it.  I hope your argument is at least consistent and you want the NCHC to move to 100% on campus sites.  

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

One of the biggest reasons for the big sky moving away from on campus arenas is because it is a disaster when trying to make last second travel arrangements in small towns.  The Summit tournament also makes tons of money for the conference and has better attendance than many high major conf tournaments.   No reason to move it.  I hope your argument is at least consistent and you want the NCHC to move to 100% on campus sites.  

BSC tourney in RENO, NV=disaster

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

if attendance keeps slipping at the x...yes

Tourney needs to stay in Sioux Falls. Within easy driving distance for SDSU, USD, UNO, NDSU, and UND fans and has an airport/hotels/amenities for people who go.

Even the old venue was good, I havent been to the new one but it looks good on tv. Gives folks time to plan trips. All in all, probably one of the better setups for conference tourneys.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1