SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

2017-18 Summit MBB attendance numbers.

If I remember we were like 1,600 - 2,000 fans for most conference games, for the Bison we had 3,000.

Home Attendance Average – Conference Games
1. North Dakota State       3,159
2. South Dakota State      2,968
3. Omaha                          2,737
4. South Dakota                2,702
5. Oral Roberts                 2,588
6. Fort Wayne                   1,622
7. Denver                          1,190
8. Western Illinois              618

Home Attendance Average – Overall
1. North Dakota State         2,757
2. Oral Roberts                   2,412
3. Omaha                            2,367
4. South Dakota                  2,335
5. South Dakota State         2,292
6. Fort Wayne                     1,415
7. Denver                            1,204
8. Western Illinois                603

39 minutes ago, FSSD said:

If I was In charge of the Slummit:

1)  Change name of conference----NORTH CENTRAL CONFERENCE

2)  Double header games - women/men games travel together.----YES BRING BACK THE TRIPLE HEADER...WBALL, MBALL, HOCKEY

3)  Talk to NMSU versus Augie--YES

4)  Start football--YES

FIXED

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

If I remember we were like 1,600 - 2,000 fans for most conference games, for the Bison we had 3,000.

Would be interested in the women's attendance too.

NDSU is leading and that program for both basketballs are in the dumps, according to their own fans.

Surprised that SDSU isnt higher because their fans on some board have been such braggarts.

Have they already scheduled for nine teams?  Or do they have a schedule if IPFW drops out before July 1st?

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

Would be interested in the women's attendance too.

NDSU is leading and that program for both basketballs are in the dumps, according to their own fans.

Surprised that SDSU isnt higher because their fans on some board have been such braggarts.

That part also surprised me - the SD's, I'll try and find the ladies #'s

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Man, that just blows my mind.  As good as men's hoops is at S Dak St (#12 seed in NCAA tourney) and they barely average 1/4 (all games) of what UND averages attendance-wise for ice hockey.  Wow, speaks volumes about UND hockey support/fan base in GF area.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Man, that just blows my mind.  As good as men's hoops is at S Dak St (#12 seed in NCAA tourney) and they barely average 1/4 (all games) of what UND averages attendance-wise for ice hockey.  Wow, speaks volumes about UND hockey support/fan base in GF area.

You hit a soft spot with our friends to the south.

How is the Summit League going to schedule UND?  MBB and WBB seemed to get some off days in the Summit, at least when they had nine teams.  Sunday and Monday were often scheduled in the Summit.  Women were basically on the road in the Summit, but not at a mirror image schedule like the Big Sky.  Because we have hockey, Friday and Saturdsy nights are off limits if we have a home hockey series.  That means Friday afternoon games, which are horrible for crowds.  The Big Sky schedule did Thursday night and Sat afternoon home games, which was perfect for us.  Don’t see that happening in the Summit, even if they loose the ninth team, IPFW, which would cause weird scheduling anyway. Maybe Sat afternoon, rather than Friday, followed by a Sunday game, since our travel partner is merely an hour bus ride away.  But a lot of schools would object to that, as they want a day rest between games.

10 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Brookings is like the size of Jamestown lmao.

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

How is the Summit League going to schedule UND?  MBB and WBB seemed to get some off days in the Summit, at least when they had nine teams.  Sunday and Monday were often scheduled in the Summit.  Women were basically on the road in the Summit, but not at a mirror image schedule like the Big Sky.  Because we have hockey, Friday and Saturdsy nights are off limits if we have a home hockey series.  That means Friday afternoon games, which are horrible for crowds.  The Big Sky schedule did Thursday night and Sat afternoon home games, which was perfect for us.  Don’t see that happening in the Summit, even if they loose the ninth team, IPFW, which would cause weird scheduling anyway. Maybe Sat afternoon, rather than Friday, followed by a Sunday game, since our travel partner is merely an hour bus ride away.  But a lot of schools would object to that, as they want a day rest between games.

I believe they play Thursday nights and Saturday afternoons already.  

12 hours ago, FSSD said:

If I was In charge of the Slummit:

1)  Change name of conference

2)  Double header games - women/men games travel together.

3)  Talk to NMSU versus Augie

4)  Start football

Not sure why mid major conferences who are all trying to save money don't do this.  You would think it would be much cheaper to send both teams on a road trip as opposed to sending them on two separate road trips.  I get it that schools would likely only sell 1 ticket for 2 games and they are worries that would hurt their ticket sale revenue.  But you never know, it could increase overall attendance.  

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Nice find of average attendance, with the 2018 numbers of the 1st post in this thread, there are the last 12 years. NDSU apparently peaked in 2017, attendance came down in this season(2,757), and may slip some more for 2019. NDSU basketball is having some challenges, Bisonville is really ripping the 2 BB programs.

42 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Thanks,                      WBB 2017

Games Attendance Avg

North Dakota       15    25,706     1,714

North Dakota St. 13      9,745        750

South Dakota      14    25,636     1,831

South Dakota St 15    28,622     1,908

Omaha                 13      5,850        450

Oral Roberts       13      8,236        634

Denver                 13      5,562        428

Fort Wayne         13    10,632       818

Western Ill.         14    10,721       766

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not sure why mid major conferences who are all trying to save money don't do this.  You would think it would be much cheaper to send both teams on a road trip as opposed to sending them on two separate road trips.  I get it that schools would likely only sell 1 ticket for 2 games and they are worries that would hurt their ticket sale revenue.  But you never know, it could increase overall attendance.  

If the travel is by plane...don't you have to by a plane ticket for each player/coach/support staff regardless?  So, I'm not sure a double-header is the solution, it's not like you are saving on air travel by having them travel together. It's not like they can share hotel rooms. D1 coaching MBB & WBB staffs are not going to bus all-together on one bus because in fact, even if it were a WBB & MBB double-header are on the road, the women's team following the game is not going to wait for the Men's game conclusion before departing, they are going to get on the road.  So in my mind, double-headers make little or no sense.  I do not miss double-headers.  The nights and days got way too-long.  As a fan, I like, 1 game...go watch, cheer, and get home in about 2 1/2 hours (give or take)

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, the green team said:

If the travel is by plane...don't you have to by a plane ticket for each player/coach/support staff regardless?  So, I'm not sure a double-header is the solution, it's not like you are saving on air travel by having them travel together. It's not like they can share hotel rooms. D1 coaching MBB & WBB staffs are not going to bus all-together on one bus because in fact, even if it were a WBB & MBB double-header are on the road, the women's team following the game is not going to wait for the Men's game conclusion before departing, they are going to get on the road.  So in my mind, double-headers make little or no sense.  I do not miss double-headers.  The nights and days got way too-long.  As a fan, I like, 1 game...go watch, cheer, and get home in about 2 1/2 hours (give or take)

Couldn't that be used as a recruiting tool!!