SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

2 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Typical MafiaMan response. Point out his inaccuracy and right away its "salty." Wow. I suppose I should just let you talk sh*% and walk away.

"Mom, we're outta chips...."

And here we go...another keyboard tough guy.  

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The Bison are 18-15.  They are pretty much a guaranteed 16 seed in the tournament.  Would not be surprised to see them play in the First Four games in Dayton.  

A play in game may not be all bad. If you win that game, you get more money and get two games on National TV. They are a much better team right now than early in non-conference season. They would most likely be favored in a play-in game.

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

And here we go...another keyboard tough guy.  

Hardly. You said I didn't give credit to NDSU. I pointed out that I did and you were wrong. Pardon me for ignoring you psychology degree...you diagnosed that my congratulations was sarcastic. How any of this makes me a keyboard tough guy, I don't know. If you don't want to be challenged, I suggest you read all my posts on the subject first. That is all.

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

If UND WBB would get Sara Jacobson on the roster that would at least make me feel a little better about BB at UND.

My guess is Sara will be back on the roster at NDSU. She is currently enrolled there. Would be a HUGE get for UND, but doubt Momma would let it happen.

12 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Hardly. You said I didn't give credit to NDSU. I pointed out that I did and you were wrong. Pardon me for ignoring your psychology degree...you diagnosed that my congratulations was sarcastic. How any of this makes me a keyboard tough guy, I don't know. If you don't want to be challenged, I suggest you read all my posts on the subject first. That is all.

I agree with your assessment that AJS' comment about North Dakota being a "complete loser" is a bit of overreaction.  It wasn't that long ago that the Fighting Hawks were playing on national TV against Arizona.  However, when NDSU has been to the dance now four times (2009, 2014, 2015, and now this year), North Dakota's lone appearance is easily forgotten.  "Complete loser"?  No.  A more successful program needed?  Yes.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I agree with your assessment that AJS' comment about North Dakota being a "complete loser" is a bit of overreaction.  It wasn't that long ago that the Fighting Hawks were playing on national TV against Arizona.  However, when NDSU has been to the dance now four times (2009, 2014, 2015, and now this year), North Dakota's lone appearance is easily forgotten.  "Complete loser"?  A more successful program needed?  Yes.  

There you go. All I was saying... "Low Sodium" Stockdamhockey.:)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stockdamhockey said:

What is astonishing to me is the roller coaster ride that this forum can be. If the Bison lose last night, probably wouldn't see a "complete loser" post from you. The outcome of single games dictate the hyperbole that we see from posters. Overreactions are common. THE BISON ARE A .500 BB TEAM. They got hot, the Rabbits lost, they're in the Dance. Congratulations. Welcome to March BB. Your post is complete emotion, no rational thought. In year 2016, UND won a National Hockey Title, AND Big Sky Conference Titles in FB, VB, MBB, WBB (had never been done before in the Big Sky. It is 2019 --- and you now choose to call our Athletic Dept. "complete losers." Really? Is this rational? No argument that its been a tough year, but "complete loser?" Hard to take you seriously.

You're correct there. That single game though is a microcosm of how I see things currently between the two athletic programs. As a #4 seed, is anyone surprised by the outcome of the Summit league tournament after SDSU lost? Could anyone picture if the roles were reversed, UND being able to string together three in a row and winning the conference tournament? 2016 was a great year, but also clearly an outlier. Things after have been really bad, like as bad as I can remember. They weren't that great before for non-hockey related sports either.

This is far from "luck" obviously, so I don't want it to come off like that, but it's just frustrating watching NDSU during big games, close games, always seems to come out on top and UND (outside of 2016) is the complete opposite. Yes, it's one game, but like I said right away. UND plays Omaha last night, do they win?

*I take back the complete losers comment*

St Mary's beat Gonzaga last night by 13 (60-47) to advance.  It was just over a month ago that the Zags beat the Gaels 94-46 in Spokane.  March Madness indeed!  A #1 being upset (like what happened in the Summit) happens more often than you think.  And most of those #1 seeds are playing on their own court, too.  

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Correct, the group of fans I hang around with went to UND in the 70's where BB had good crowds. In our eyes, this new seating capacity made a statement. 

The size of the Betty was decided by the Ralph.  In fact, when construction began, Coach Glas understood that the seating would be for 4,100.  Still too small but would have been much bigger/better than what we ended up with!

4 hours ago, AJS said:

I knew my post would probably hit a nerve with some people, but I'll never understand responses like this. Like not at all.

I guess you're taking offense to the term "complete loser", probably harsh, but again,  have no idea how anyone could correlate that to quitting, but I guess there's at least one.

My overall sentiment stands, UND athletics is in as bad of a spot as I've ever seen it, it's genuinely concerning. Could anyone even picture what happened to the NDSU basketball team this year  happen at UND? Never. It's an overall culture thing.

I didn't take offense to your post as it has been a rough year

....but as soon as SDSU lost to WIU my first thought was holy crap, if UND can somehow get by UNO tonight we could actually make the tourney! 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But some people on this forum and elsewhere act like everything is just fine as is. Well, it isn't "just fine as is". Bill Chaves, you have your work cut out for you. I hope you are up to the challenge.

I recommend that anyone concerned about the men's BB program or the overall status of athletics at UND send Chaves a well-written letter of concern.  Bill is a good guy who doesn't like to lose.  I believe he will do all he can to address the issues.  However, it won't be accomplished overnight.  That said, he should know the level of concern that so many of us share. 

UND.AD@und.edu

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Correct, the group of fans I hang around with went to UND in the 70's where BB had good crowds. In our eyes, this new seating capacity made a statement. 

In hindsight, it looks like the people who chose the Betty seating capacity pretty much nailed it.

• Upvote 1

Halfway pulling for NDSU to get to Dayton and win against the MEAC or SWAC.  Each appearance at the NCAA is worth $1.7 mill, divided by nine teams.

Bozoville also has 88 pages demanding Richman get fired.  Larsen will have no choice but to richly extend his contract now.

I look at this win by NDSU in  the summit conference is very similar to the Big Sky conference in that there's not that much separates the teams in the conference usually one player in basketball.  I have followed on NDSU form and same thing they were wanting coach fired and program in complete failure. That was less than 2 weeks ago and look now there going to dance of NCAA but all we here on this site is they are going as 15 or 16 seats. That is what Summit and Big Sky conferences are fill in teams with seats as high as 12 but never meant to win much in the tournament but I do congratulate NDSU on putting it together at the end of the season. The small mid major conferences provide programing for TV to sell final four to the public but real fact is 90% of teams are one and done showing and remaining maybe can win opening round game but are usually beaten in next round.  So many on the site are wanting major changes from year to year and I look at this year as it was going to be difficult year for UND sports. The changing of conferences alone is hard to learn how to win in your conference and your never get any breaks on scheduling the first year and no breaks on officiating compared to long term members.  I think we could be in position next year to win this tournament and also compete for the conference if we can find right missing pieces. The only sport in this Conference right now that has evaluated themselves nationally now is Women's basketball because the South Dakota schools are now competing in top 25 nationally the big question is can the conference sustain this level or are we going to fall back.  The Question I have is going to be possible for either NDSU or UND to have facilities to host Conference tournament in sometime in the future. I could see where they could split Men's and Women's tournament from each other if some other host facility could handle and provide comparable turn out and revenue to the conference. I think we will have better idea on the direction of sports programs after next year when we see how coaches have recruited for this conference if we see improvements for the various sports. Also we will be either on final year of their contract or close to final year on their contracts for the coaches.

• Upvote 1

I'm still in shock over the Bison getting to the dance again.   I mean, a week ago they were talking about firing the coach.   At any rate, they have proven once again to be the luckiest people around, and they've proven you don't have to be good to win, just lucky.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

I'm still in shock over the Bison getting to the dance again.   I mean, a week ago they were talking about firing the coach.   At any rate, they have proven once again to be the luckiest people around, and they've proven you don't have to be good to win, just lucky.

I wouldn’t go that far. We had our chance to bear Omaha and didn’t.  Bisons played three solid games. Luck?

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

You can call it luck if you want, but I think it is fair to say NDSU has more talent players 1-10 than UND and most others in the Summit right now. With what is coming back next year from their current rosters, I don't see UND overtaking NDSU next year. UND's most pressing need may be a point guard.  Stewart is talented, but if he is your team leader you may have issues.