SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

7 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

And if they can get by NC Central and play Duke Friday in prime time, they will be on CBS with Jim Nantz, Bill Rafferty and Grant Hill. That is a pretty big deal. And there is a small chance they can keep it interesting for half of a half or so. Everybody they put on the floor can make a three, so if they are on they may be able to stay close for a little while.  

If they can hang with them like they did Kansas that would be something. Duke is too powerful.

14 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Little different animal than that, but I'll safely say if they pull it off its the greatest athletic feat a North Dakota team has pulled off and nothing would top it.  It would trump any national title. 

Besides Oklahoma was grossly overseeded that year :p

OU was an unathletic team that relied on the jump shot. Most prognosticators had them circled as an upset candidate before the brackets came out. NDSU gets the credit for beating them though...especially after not closing them out in regulation as they probably should have. Most of the time the underdog who lets the favorite come back late in a game ends up folding and NDSU regrouped and took them out. Very impressive win.

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

OU was an unathletic team that relied on the jump shot. Most prognosticators had them circled as an upset candidate before the brackets came out. NDSU gets the credit for beating them though...especially after not closing them out in regulation as they probably should have. Most of the time the underdog who lets the favorite come back late in a game ends up folding and NDSU regrouped and took them out. Very impressive win.

Buddy Hield, Isaiah Cousins, Spangler . . . Not athletic?  You have no clue what you are talking about.  That was by far the best bison team in recent history.  Bjorklund, Braun, Wright, Brown, LA and some good backup bigs.   Good team, good win . . . Not a fluke.  That team would rough up 2019 team.

NCAA says the play in game is part of the tournament but I just filled out the ESPN Tournament Challenge there they start with the field of 64 for filling out the brackets. They are not using the four play in games as part of the Tournament. If that is the case most people are going to treat the teams in play in games same way as they not part of the bracket. I think its a shame that they are putting our conference into playoff game it just diminishes the conference on national scene. Tv wanted to have conference tournaments but when they get upset then they want to move conference tournament champion to a play in game. These mid major conferences only get one selection at least let them have there day in the Tournament. Like I say mid majors have about zero chance to get into final 16 let alone even final four the last true mid major school to get into final four was Indiana State when they had Larry Bird. I will here about other mid major programs but some them are more closely related to big schools or are independent school that plays big  time schedule. I find it so interesting its fine that we have our own separate division in football but not basketball. I guess I will never get appeal of playing with large schools when you know you have zero chance of winning. 

2 hours ago, ND-fan said:

NCAA says the play in game is part of the tournament but I just filled out the ESPN Tournament Challenge there they start with the field of 64 for filling out the brackets. They are not using the four play in games as part of the Tournament. If that is the case most people are going to treat the teams in play in games same way as they not part of the bracket. I think its a shame that they are putting our conference into playoff game it just diminishes the conference on national scene. Tv wanted to have conference tournaments but when they get upset then they want to move conference tournament champion to a play in game. These mid major conferences only get one selection at least let them have there day in the Tournament. Like I say mid majors have about zero chance to get into final 16 let alone even final four the last true mid major school to get into final four was Indiana State when they had Larry Bird. I will here about other mid major programs but some them are more closely related to big schools or are independent school that plays big  time schedule. I find it so interesting its fine that we have our own separate division in football but not basketball. I guess I will never get appeal of playing with large schools when you know you have zero chance of winning. 

Loyola last year, Butler with a final four run.   Lots of sweet 16s.   Actually it happens with some regularity.

3 hours ago, Herd said:

Buddy Hield, Isaiah Cousins, Spangler . . . Not athletic?  You have no clue what you are talking about.  That was by far the best bison team in recent history.  Bjorklund, Braun, Wright, Brown, LA and some good backup bigs.   Good team, good win . . . Not a fluke.  That team would rough up 2019 team.

Spangler was a bruiser. Buddy Hield and Cousins were shooters. By unathletic I was talking about OU and  I mean they didn't have guys who were a threat to finish at the rim. Over half of Hields attempts in his college career were from behind the 3 point line and Cousins took around 40% from behind the arc as well. Teams that rely on the jump shot often die by the jump shot. I didn't call it a fluke that NDSU won....I gave them about a 40-45% chance at winning the game as did most of the "tv experts". Like I said, the talking heads were calling them vulnerable before they even knew who they would play. They went 13-42 inside the arc that game.

3 hours ago, Herd said:

Loyola last year, Butler with a final four run.   Lots of sweet 16s.   Actually it happens with some regularity.

Gonzaga would also never be where it is if there was a subdivision like ND-Fan suggests.  The WCC is as mid major as it gets.  Also, Wichita was also a #1 seed if I remember correctly and made it to the final for as a member of the MVC. 

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Well, at least some of the media that covers NDSU doesn't even try to hide their bias:

I will cheer for NDSU against Duke. I would cheer for the Russians against Duke. If Thanos would put a team together I would cheer for them against Duke. 

20 hours ago, petey23 said:

Spangler was a bruiser. Buddy Hield and Cousins were shooters. By unathletic I was talking about OU and  I mean they didn't have guys who were a threat to finish at the rim. Over half of Hields attempts in his college career were from behind the 3 point line and Cousins took around 40% from behind the arc as well. Teams that rely on the jump shot often die by the jump shot. I didn't call it a fluke that NDSU won....I gave them about a 40-45% chance at winning the game as did most of the "tv experts". Like I said, the talking heads were calling them vulnerable before they even knew who they would play. They went 13-42 inside the arc that game.

It's interesting that the three "unathletic" players you mentioned averaged 47.8 ppg and reached the final 4 just two years after losing to NDSU. 

The first four games typically get 1-2 million viewers, even though they are on a network like TruTV that isn't super common in households across the USA.

The FCS title game typically gets 750K to 1 million views. 

NCAA hockey final gets around 400K to 700K.

These numbers are all available through some simple searches.  One site is here:  https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/

They don't call it March Madness for nothing. NDSU making the dance is HUGE. 

13 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

The first four games typically get 1-2 million viewers, even though they are on a network like TruTV that isn't super common in households across the USA.

The FCS title game typically gets 750K to 1 million views. 

NCAA hockey final gets around 400K to 700K.

These numbers are all available through some simple searches.  One site is here:  https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/

They don't call it March Madness for nothing. NDSU making the dance is HUGE. 

Highlights of the first four games will also be shown during every first-round game, ESPN Sports Center, and national and local sports programming all over the country. NDSU will be seen by many millions of basketball fans over the next week even if they lose the play-in game.

28 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

I guess that depends on your point of view. Does kinda blow away the idea that NDSU beat a dull, unathletic team in 2014, doesn't it? 

You are definitely here to convince this board that you're right the day before NDSU'S tourney game.  

Personally, I am not buying it.  Need more data.....

7 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Highlights of the first four games will also be shown during every first-round game, ESPN Sports Center, and national and local sports programming all over the country. NDSU will be seen by many millions of basketball fans over the next week even if they lose the play-in game.

Right, just like NCCU will...and UND was in 2016.  And every other team who has ever played in the tournament. 

Just now, UND1983 said:

You are definitely here to convince this board that you're right the day before NDSU'S tourney game.  

Personally, I am not buying it.  Need more data.....

You're not buying that 3 players who turned out to be the core of a final four team weren't unathletic cupcakes? OK.

8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Right, just like NCCU will...and UND was in 2016.  And every other team who has ever played in the tournament. 

Of course.

The point is that there is no other sporting event that will provide schools like NDSU or NCCU, or UND with even close to the media coverage of a one and done appearance in the Big Dance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gothmog said:

It's interesting that the three "unathletic" players you mentioned averaged 47.8 ppg and reached the final 4 just two years after losing to NDSU. 

It is about the match up not necessarily the talent. It was a good matchup athletic wise and style wise for NDSU and most were not shocked when they won. Only need to look back earlier in the season when NDSU was completely overmatched and unable to guard a certain team in Grand Forks that year.

• Upvote 1