SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

7 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Thanks for proving one of my points:

"Dropping the name" bickering was inevitable. 

"Having to pick a name" bickering would have been resolved by not having one. 

"Which process" bickering, again, not needed if the majority's wishes  would have been listened to. 

That "solution" just creates a different set of issues that are, in my opinion, worse than what we currently have.

11 hours ago, UND1983 said:

yah, they are protected by federal law I think and also not pre-trained by their mother to land on some dude's arm.  At least I don't think so.

So actually as far as owning a hawk goes, it depends on the state and the Species of Hawk. You can't just own one as a pet, but if you have a Falconry license you are allowed to trap and keep a Hawk or Falcon, or other raptors for the purpose of hunting.  I know in Minnesota Apprentice falconers are allowed to take and keep Red-tailed Hawks, while Master Falconers can keep Red-tailed Hawks and Falcons.  Now there may be different rules for institutions, UND does offer majors in Wildlife Managment, presumably, this means that the biology department would be able to keep animals that could serve both educational and mascot purposes.

Both the Ferruginous Hawk and Swainsons hawk are found in North Dakota and could offer an opportunity to salvage something more regionally unique out of an otherwise bland nickname.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So actually as far as owning a hawk goes, it depends on the state and the Species of Hawk. You can't just own one as a pet, but if you have a Falconry license you are allowed to trap and keep a Hawk or Falcon, or other raptors for the purpose of hunting.  I know in Minnesota Apprentice falconers are allowed to take and keep Red-tailed Hawks, while Master Falconers can keep Red-tailed Hawks and Falcons.  Now there may be different rules for institutions, UND does offer majors in Wildlife Managment, presumably, this means that the biology department would be able to keep animals that could serve both educational and mascot purposes.

Both the Ferruginous Hawk and Swainsons hawk are found in North Dakota and could offer an opportunity to salvage something more regionally unique out of an otherwise bland nickname.

+1 for some serious bird knowledge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

+1 for some serious bird knowledge

I looked into falconry awhile back, very cool but lots of work.. keeping hawks or falcons puts owning a dog to shame as far a time commitment goes. Still, I think to have an actual hawk as the mascot would be loads better than a guy in a fursuit, and possibly UND could use said hawk or hawks, to educate the public on wildlife conservation. Not sure what the cost would be or if the Bio department already keeps live animals, but I would rather see the university pay for that than flush more money down the toilet on out of state firms creating more designs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

As are RT's, which are just as common as Swainsons. Friend I worked with had a gryfalcon, great looking bird. He and other hawk/falcon hunting enthusiasts often hunted grouse in NWND.

I banded peregrines on S. Padre Island along the south Texas coast. Had to be careful as there were always some raptor owners trying to sneak off with a peregrine.

19 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Sure seems non inclusive, if you ask me ;) 

Unacceptable.  they should have narrowed it down to 5 species of hawks that we could all vote on.  Narrow that list down to 3 and then have one more vote for the final 2.  Seems like that would have been such a better idea!! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

FWIW.... The UND Fighting Hawks logo was/is based on the Red-tailed Hawk, according to folks in the know at a recent Alumni Association meeting I attended.

OMG, we could have had a jelly donut 

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Thats just a recipie for jealously, misplaced avian self esteem, and potential for bird on bird crime.

21 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I still find it odd that it looks like the choices for the new mascot won't be revealed till the voting starts 10am on Monday.  Seems like they would have released them today to give people time to look at them.  Oh well.  I guess we wait till Monday!

That's exactly why they didn't release it. They'd be mocked mercilessly and I doubt they want that.

22 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

That's exactly why they didn't release it. They'd be mocked mercilessly and I doubt they want that.

Yeah, it is too bad people can't be mature enough to take things seriously without making some dumb comment on social media or a message board.  But that would be fun now would it!! :)

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

He missed the Cooper's hawk. Nasty buggers chase the song birds away from my feeders. I wish the great horned owls or the bald eagles that have been around lately would chase the Cooper's away. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_North_Dakota 

Coopers Hawks are pretty fearless, even in urban environments.  I came a home a few summers ago to find one munching on a Starling on the roof of the garage.  I had to hose down the roof to get rid of the "leftovers".  ;)

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Yeah, it is too bad people can't be mature enough to take things seriously without making some dumb comment on social media or a message board.  But that would be fun now would it!! :)

I think social media is ONLY for dumb comments :D