SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

3 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I own Fighting Sioux apparel, I own University of North Dakota apparel, and I own interlocking UND apparel. I attend pretty much every home hockey game and football game and several basketball games every year....won't ever own an item with the ridiculously bad postage logo on it....sorry, not sorry.

That's outstanding.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

In which I broke it out to hockey fans and non-hockey fans.  The latter being much more supportive of the new name and logo as evidenced by the merchandise worn at games.  It's pretty much only hockey fans that are fighting it tooth and nail now.

"Much more" is still incredibly low. Most UND football, basketball, etc., fans are also UND hockey fans.

5 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I own Fighting Sioux apparel, I own University of North Dakota apparel, and I own interlocking UND apparel. I attend pretty much every home hockey game and football game and several basketball games every year....won't ever own an item with the ridiculously bad postage logo on it....sorry, not sorry.

But, but, but... the University is going to get hurt by this!! :silly:

• Upvote 2

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

"Much more" is still incredibly low. Most UND football, basketball, etc., fans are also UND hockey fans.

Are you happy to think your right even though I am at a good majority of these games and witness the truth?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Are you happy to think your right even though I am at a good majority of these games and witness the truth?

Do you honestly believe that there's a close number of people who have fully embraced FH over the old nickname? Or are you grasping for the argument that "the number is growing"?

• Upvote 1

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

Do you honestly believe that there's a close number of people who have fully embraced FH over the old nickname? Or are you grasping for the argument that "the number is growing"?

Read what I previously wrote.  You are not paying attention and turning into 'hockey hate logo guy'. 

Hockey fans are in their own world - they aren't even a part of this conversation.  The rest of the fan base for other sports is growing quite well.  Hard to tell what ratio it is because unless they distinctly wear Hawk gear that day we wouldn't know.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

FYP.  The other fan bases are warming up slowly as evidenced by the gear in the stands.

You beat me to it. 

Fact is, you see more and more Hawks gear around town and on campus as the months go by.  Some will never move on, some are negative people regardless of the "issue".  They have that right.  

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I still feel very strongly that this kind of sentiment would have been significantly less prevalent had the process not brought a new nickname that is generic and bland. The logo is not unique, not wholly UND or North Dakota and is boring. Had something come along that everyone could get behind, the transition would have been much easier, IMO.

I have a solution for you: Invent a time machine.

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Read what I previously wrote.  You are not paying attention and turning into 'hockey hate logo guy'. 

Hockey fans are in their own world - they aren't even a part of this conversation.  The rest of the fan base for other sports is growing quite well.  Hard to tell what ratio it is because unless they distinctly wear Hawk gear that day we wouldn't know.

Ok, so you were diverging from the original point by Darrell, which I disagreed with... ok then. Moving on, I suppose. 

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Never said I intended to fix the problem. Just a simple observation, buddy.

I keep hearing a lot if what ifs, buts, if only...

If only I had asked Mary to the prom back in high school.  If only I had scored that touchdown in the big game in 82...

Sioux forever people and their arguments remind me of the Hillary supporters who say Trump is not their president.  "Hawks is NOT my logo!" Haha.  *Disclaimer: not a political post

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

So the UNMITIGATED SUPERULTRAMAJORITY of UND fans are "not even part of the conversation????   

Basically summed up the entire failed process right there. Draws the line of division in the fan base right nicely too.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

So the UNMITIGATED SUPERULTRAMAJORITY of UND fans are "not even part of the conversation????   

Basically summed up the entire failed process right there. Draws the line of division in the fan base right nicely too.

If you would take time to read what the point was you wouldn't have even posted. 

11 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Don’t you remember though? It’s the SIOUX FOREVER crowd that’s dividing the fan base 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I still feel very strongly that this kind of sentiment would have been significantly less prevalent had the process not brought a new nickname that is generic and bland. The logo is not unique, not wholly UND or North Dakota and is boring. Had something come along that everyone could get behind, the transition would have been much easier, IMO.

I agree 100%.  Ed should have been smart enough to pick a logo that somehow could have been associated with UND or the state or GF.  How about a military theme? (I know, I'm a broken record).   Maybe in 10 years or so, we will have a UND president that can figure it out and flush the one we have down the drain.

2 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

Don’t you remember though? It’s the SIOUX FOREVER crowd that’s dividing the fan base 

I mean, yeah. They are the ones literally booing their own team's mascot at every mention at the REA and posting the continue negative comments on social media... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I mean, yeah. They are the ones literally booing their own team's mascot at every mention at the REA and posting the continue negative comments on social media... 

Those comments on the UND Facebook page are a complete embarassment.  Bunch of petulent babies whining.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Other than at hockey games, we'll have to agree to disagree. For how much everyone keeps repeating how no one will accept it, I've been surprised at the amount of FH gear that I've seen in public and at community events. Parents are even dressing their kids in it!!

Also, I'd like to know where all this free stuff is handed out at so I can get some as well. Other than Junior Champions Club (which has always given out free shirts and paid for by a sponsor business), I can't think of any great examples of mass amounts of free gear being given out or at least anything outside what was previously done.

I was at my daughters soccer game on Saturday in Moorhead and saw a bunch of FH gear throughout the field, with one guy with a Fighting Sioux blanket but even he had a FH jacket on. As time goes on more and more FH gear will be out there keep in mind the logo is only 2 years old. I also would like free gear, the only free stuff I have seen was a FH t-shirt in 2016 with the schedule printed on the back with the logo on the front along with a Hawkerchief at the Potato Bowl game. 

I saw 

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Those comments on the UND Facebook page are a complete embarassment.  Bunch of petulent babies whining.  

I saw at one time on the page today, of 226 comments, 7 were pro hawks or at least ambivalent.  That's 3 percent of comments positive, and there is no segregated "hockey" only conspiracy on the general Facebook or social media audience, so don't even try to spew anymore of your "petulent" bullshyt.

It doesn't matter if its a university or a local business or a big corporation.  IF you have a 3% approval for a campaign it is an unimaginable FAILURE.

So go take your doucheLaRue attitude and hang out with your free hawk towels and trash bin bound t-shirts giveaways and be embarrassed for the 97% of people who find this asinine. 

Have a great day, enjoy yourself, but remember for every one Hawkzi you know or screen name you log in with there are 9.7 people who do not feel the same as you. May want to consider that before you go calling the ultra majority a bunch of "petulant babies".... 

Maybe even try and win yourself that $5000 scholarship they have to try and bribe students with to show up at the footyball  games, take some marketing classes and maybe you too can understand why this is a train wreck.

I'm going to sit back and laugh, cry a little, and just be disgusted really,  at the pathetic PR & marketing campaign that birthed this travesty of an experience, Name, Logo, Mascot and all.

Hopefully I'll get it on video when as one commenter stated he was going to " thunderpunch that mascot in the throat if it comes near me"  ...  they still let you mail in tapes to America's Funniest Home Videos?

• Like 1