SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

There it is... I figured some would actually have this mindset. Just ignorant and delusional.

There is nothing about a mascot, a pathetic overpriced forced mascot, that comes close to bridging that gap. IN FACT i predict this will have the opposite effect for a bit longer now. 

You delusional few... VERY FEW..... just will never have the capacity to understand that....  but hey..... keep buying those magic hawks t-shirts

At least we're adding jobs, or maybe workstudy options....

Actually maybe cut a pointless athletic scholorship and give that bird suit guy a full ride!

I never said the mascot would bridge the gap. Time will bridge the gap. Just look on the UND Facebook page there are tons of Fighting Sioux forever comments, that won’t change but maybe in the next 5-10 years it could. Just look at GF Central, no Redskins chants, no Redskins forever on social media. They have a mascot too. 

Complaining about the Fighting Hawks name is not going to change the name.  Complaining about the Fighting Hawks logo is not going to change the logo.  Complaining about the Fighting Hawks mascot is not going to change the mascot.  Moral of the story?  Complaining is not going to change anything.  So why waste your time.  

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Complaining about the Fighting Hawks name is not going to change the name.  Complaining about the Fighting Hawks logo is not going to change the logo.  Complaining about the Fighting Hawks mascot is not going to change the mascot.  Moral of the story?  Complaining is not going to change anything.  So why waste your time.  

Are people more pissed that the Sioux name or no nickname is never coming back, or the fact that more and more fans are liking the current name and logo and will enjoy the new mascot. 

11 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Are people more pissed that the Sioux name or no nickname is never coming back, or the fact that more and more fans are liking the current name and logo and will enjoy the new mascot. 

There is a lot of "I will never accept any new nickname besides the Fighting Sioux" pride out there.  I guess people feel like they are standing up to whever they feel is going against that.  Instead of directing their frustration at the NCAA, The Standing Rock tribal council leaders, Wayne Stenjehm for agreeing to a settlement that he knew would never happen, etc, they take out their frustration on the tangible, visible symbol of everything that they feel represents the Fighting Sioux being retired.  And that is anything Fighting Hawks.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

There is a lot of "I will never accept any new nickname besides the Fighting Sioux" pride out there.  I guess people feel like they are standing up to whever they feel is going against that.  Instead of directing their frustration at the NCAA, The Standing Rock tribal council leaders, Wayne Stenjehm for agreeing to a settlement that he knew would never happen, etc, they take out their frustration on the tangible, visible symbol of everything that they feel represents the Fighting Sioux being retired.  And that is anything Fighting Hawks.  

I still feel very strongly that this kind of sentiment would have been significantly less prevalent had the process not brought a new nickname that is generic and bland. The logo is not unique, not wholly UND or North Dakota and is boring. Had something come along that everyone could get behind, the transition would have been much easier, IMO.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I never said the mascot would bridge the gap. Time will bridge the gap. Just look on the UND Facebook page there are tons of Fighting Sioux forever comments, that won’t change but maybe in the next 5-10 years it could. Just look at GF Central, no Redskins chants, no Redskins forever on social media. They have a mascot too. 

I think its going to take at least 5 years and then the financial difference can be compared fairly.

The Sioux logo is never coming back, but will always be celebrated. 

Heres a question for ya....

in 35 years or so say maybe  3 generations from when the the change was demanded...

Say the tribes and rubberspined backbone of political correct libralism swings back in the gentle wind of needing a new cause and suddenly....

There's mass butthurt over the rasist and bigoted genocide of Native imagery in sports is the outrage of the privledged elite...... What happens then?

Does the head of the NCAA demand the reinstatement of previous native created images....who knows what zhe will enforce at that point...

Altgough by that time I suspect all mascots & logos will be banned along with competative contact sports.

In morbid reality it may very well be that the concept of athletics associated with higher education may ne a thing of the past, so it all wont matter.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Lol let's be clear, here. You're still in the super-minority on this issue, my friend.

People Hockey fans don't seem to be even close to the second option, IMO.

FYP.  The other fan bases are warming up slowly as evidenced by the gear in the stands.

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

accurate.

4 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I think its going to take at least 5 years and then the financial difference can be compared fairly.

The Sioix logo is never coming back, but will always be celebrated. 

in 35 years or so say maybe  3 generations from when the the change was demanded...

Say the tribes and rubberspined backbone of political correct libralism swings back in the gentle wind of needing a new cause and suddenly....

There's mass butthurt over the rasist and bigoted genocide of Native imagery in sports is the outrage of the privledged elite...... What happens then?

Does the head of the NCAA demand the reinstatement of previous native created images....who knows what zhe will enforce at that point...

Image result for let it go elsa meme

4 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The Sioix logo is never coming back, but will always be celebrated. 

Altgough by that time I suspect all mascots & logos will be banned along with competative contact sports.

In morbid reality it may very well be that the concept of athletics associated with higher education may ne a thing of the past, so it all wont matter.

Since there was a settlement with a timeline for approval, wouldn’t the legality of bringing back the Sioux name be in question even 35 years from now? 

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Had something come along that everyone could get behind, the transition would have been much easier, IMO.

Everyone knows the only name everyone was going to get behind was the Fighting Sioux. So don’t kid yourself in thinking there is a better name that would “bridge” everyone together.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

Since there was a settlement with a timeline for approval, wouldn’t the legality of bringing back the Sioux name be in question even 35 years from now? 

How dare you misappropriate your bigoted laws of the past to the assumed identity of victimism of the future.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

FYP.  The other fan bases are warming up slowly as evidenced by the gear in the stands.

No doubt, but much of that stuff has been handed out for free by the University...It's all part of the plan to transition and I don't blame them for that, but I don't think its being accepted as much as some on this forum want to believe.  A simple check at retailers will show you the merchandise doesn't move very fast - bad for the University and the program, but I wouldn't blame the customer for not buying a product they don't like or for the certain portion of the population that feels it's been disregarded during the whole process.  In the end, the transition will be occur regardless, but I'm not sure the fan base will be the same nor will the University.  Case in point, the looming additional 10% budget cut to the NDUS will have a bigger impact on sports and academics than the current acceptance of the new logo and mascot IMHO.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

No doubt, but much of that stuff has been handed out for free by the University...It's all part of the plan to transition and I don't blame them for that, but I don't think its being accepted as much as some on this forum want to believe.  A simple check at retailers will show you the merchandise doesn't move very fast - bad for the University and the program, but I wouldn't blame the customer for not buying a product they don't like or for the certain portion of the population that feels it's been disregarded during the whole process.  In the end, the transition will be occur regardless, but I'm not sure the fan base will be the same nor will the University.  Case in point, the looming additional 10% budget cut to the NDUS will have a bigger impact on sports and academics than the current acceptance of the new logo and mascot IMHO.

Accurate. The only response from the Hawkzis and Hawkpologists should be...

egqn7cp.gif

2 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

I have gone to a bunch of football, basketball and volleyball games over the years and have never been given free merchandise.  Would love to get some, though!

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

This was mentioned earlier, but the "tank top" is a placeholder of sorts.  It "can be changed for other attire", according to the document released.

That would work. The Hawk could just wear the jersey/uniform of whatever team was playing.

11 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Everyone knows the only name everyone was going to get behind was the Fighting Sioux. So don’t kid yourself in thinking there is a better name that would “bridge” everyone together.

Hawks was a nice generic choice. There were easily 10-12 better and unique names. I think it would be more palatable if they hadn't royally f*cked up the logo....it is as bad as their is in college sports.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Lol let's be clear, here. You're still in the super-minority on this issue, my friend.

People don't seem to be even close to the second option, IMO.

Other than at hockey games, we'll have to agree to disagree. For how much everyone keeps repeating how no one will accept it, I've been surprised at the amount of FH gear that I've seen in public and at community events. Parents are even dressing their kids in it!!

Also, I'd like to know where all this free stuff is handed out at so I can get some as well. Other than Junior Champions Club (which has always given out free shirts and paid for by a sponsor business), I can't think of any great examples of mass amounts of free gear being given out or at least anything outside what was previously done.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Comparing the two population sizes of fans, my post didn't need fixing, whatsoever. While the growth may be happening, the people who have fully embraced the FH logo and name is still tremendously lower than the opposite.

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

I disagree. I think there were several names in that list that the community would have gotten behind much quicker than Birdie McGeneric Bird.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Comparing the two population sizes of fans, my post didn't need fixing, whatsoever. While the growth may be happening, the people who have fully embraced the FH logo and name is still tremendously lower than the opposite.

I just wish that our No. 1 sport was one that most of America actually cared about. I mean, I love hockey.... but, meh, it's not exactly moving the needle for us.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

In which I broke it out to hockey fans and non-hockey fans.  The latter being much more supportive of the new name and logo as evidenced by the merchandise worn at games.  It's pretty much only hockey fans that are fighting it tooth and nail now.

• Upvote 1