SiouxSports.com Forum

Far too early, but what the hell...Bracketology

petey23

30 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

If I recall correctly, having a defecto home game last year didn't help UND very much.  I also wouldn't call a game 3 1/2 hours from home , a home game.

Minneapolis is closer to Grand Forks, than Grand Forks is to Sioux Falls. And people are still complaining about UND having a de facto home game.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

North Dakota is a lower seed, it gets a de facto home game when it doesn't deserve it.

I mean, outside of putting a bid in which was organized and backed by the REA, they really haven't done anything to "deserve it", particularly in the ice. However they aren't the first to have it work in their favor and they won't be the last but it doesn't change that it had an effect on the top overall seed which was the larger part of his overall point.

But let's continue to give him what he wants (clicks and exposure) and overreact to any comment that might be construed as negative. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I mean, outside of putting a bid in which was organized and backed by the REA, they really haven't done anything to "deserve it", particularly in the ice. However they aren't the first to have it work in their favor and they won't be the last but it doesn't change that it had an effect on the top overall seed which was the larger part of his overall point.

But let's continue to give him what he wants (clicks and exposure) and overreact to any comment that might be construed as negative. 

Much ado about nothing

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Anytime you read Wodon's articles, keep in mind he was adamant in his belief that Seth Jones committed and de-committed from UND. Was literally willing to die on that hill rather than admit a mistake.  Speaks volumes to his character. 

Didn’t Wodon also report that ASU to the NCHC was signed and sealed, and got all butthurt when western reporters said they weren’t hearing that?

28 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Didn’t Wodon also report that ASU to the NCHC was signed and sealed, and got all butthurt when western reporters said they weren’t hearing that?

I remember the former but not the latter, can only imagine the refusal to backpedal when proven embarrassingly wrong. Bet his "source" got a good laugh.

2 hours ago, siouxweet said:

If I recall correctly, having a defecto home game last year didn't help UND very much.  I also wouldn't call a game 3 1/2 hours from home , a home game.

This one in Sioux Falls will be a de facto home game if we get in. Don't forget Froz4 @ the X. We need 2 W's this weekend.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

You don't think UND at 14th in the PWR deserves to play in Sioux Falls then. 

But PSU at 12th PWR playing only two hours away in their home state, No problem! 

Clint Eastwood as William Munny probably said it best...

" Past precedent says the number one overall seed gets the most preferable, usually meaning closest regional. Sioux Falls is 223 miles from St. Cloud, while the other three regionals might as well be on the moon.

The problem with that is that North Dakota is still floating around near the bubble of the NCAA Tournament. "

by Chris Dilks  

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2018/3/13/17114672/2018-ncaa-hockey-tournament-bracketology-notes

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

Minneapolis is closer to Grand Forks, than Grand Forks is to Sioux Falls. And people are still complaining about UND having a de facto home game.

Well that’s not entirely accurate. Miles yes but I would say time Sioux Falls is closer. 

Source: many drives home from Sioux Falls. 

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I decided I feel content that all these people are bothered about UND causing issues for their bracket. 

Anything that makes them mad, makes me happy. 

Haters gonna hate.... 

Precisely. It's a compliment, to me :)

image.png.cc833fb60334d7cc4a1c4e2c30a40bd7.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Well that’s not entirely accurate. Miles yes but I would say time Sioux Falls is closer. 

Source: many drives home from Sioux Falls. 

I tend to agree with you.

REA to Xcel Energy Center: 325 miles. Estimated time: 4 hours, 43 minutes (assuming good traffic).
REA to Target Center: 314 miles. Estimated time: 4 hours, 33 minutes (assuming good traffic).
REA to Denny Sanford Premier Center: 316 miles. Estimated time: 4 hours, 28 minutes (there is no traffic).

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I tend to agree with you.

REA to Xcel Energy Center: 325 miles. Estimated time: 4 hours, 43 minutes (assuming good traffic).
REA to Target Center: 314 miles. Estimated time: 4 hours, 33 minutes (assuming good traffic).
REA to Denny Sanford Premier Center: 316 miles. Estimated time: 4 hours, 28 minutes (there is no traffic).

The UND contingent, however, would be larger in the Target Center or Exel simply because they hold more, not to mention the very large fanbase that lives in the TC

17 minutes ago, bale31 said:

In any case, it's as close to a home ice advantage as anyone will get this or many other years. It sucks for other teams and it is an unfair advantage for a lower ranked team to have, but it is the system that was set up. UND has nothing to apologize for and I suspect those writers that are mentioning it are only doing it because they know it gets under UND fans' skin. The reality is that UND is one of a few schools that is willing and able to rationalize bidding and hosting a regional. It's good for larger OR wealthier schools, but can be a real hindrance for a lot of schools that don't have the large fan base or where money isn't an issue. 

All that being said, I'd still love for MSU to end up in Sioux Falls along with UND. The atmosphere will be great in any game that UND plays and that should be the ultimate goal. Make it a good event for the players and fans. I'd prefer that the high seeds host regionals, but this is what we've got for now.

UND stands to lose $$$ this year if the team is ousted. There has been support from UND to have regionals at college sites to improve the atmosphere. Of course that is again an advantage in bidding on a site with an arena that holds 11000+ seats. I'd be in favor of the four 1 seeds hosting regionals. Would guess the NCAA will require guaranteed $$.  Would every school pony up those $$$ to host?

9 minutes ago, sprig said:

UND stands to lose $$$ this year if the team is ousted. There has been support from UND to have regionals at college sites to improve the atmosphere. Of course that is again an advantage in bidding on a site with an arena that holds 11000+ seats. I'd be in favor of the four 1 seeds hosting regionals. Would guess the NCAA will require guaranteed $$.  Would every school pony up those $$$ to host?

Do they though? They've already almost completely sold out the lower bowl. I'd guess they've already collected more revenue than either year at Scheels Arena in Fargo due to the increased capacity.

image.thumb.png.d0a49abc6a1ff9c82a9d38c9a629631f.png

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Do they though? They've already almost completely sold out the lower bowl. I'd guess they've already collected more revenue than either year at Scheels Arena in Fargo due to the increased capacity.

image.thumb.png.d0a49abc6a1ff9c82a9d38c9a629631f.png

You're  right.  Lots of fans have had tickets for awhile.

It's the fan base that supports the bidding. Doubt the NCAA is just going to give it to a 1 seed without cost. 

Even allowing exceptions for campus sites (like with Notre Dame) would help.  Why couldn't the West Regional be in Fargo/Sioux Falls and the Midwest in Madison?  For that matter, even not using campus sites, couldn't Fargo/Sioux Falls and St. Paul host regionals in the same year?  If Worcester and Bridgeport or Manchester and Providence can host in the same year why can't we do that in the west?

Without any changes, it seems likely that the West Regional will be in a rotation between Fargo, Sioux Falls and St. Paul and the Midwest regional will continue to be a big question mark.

1 hour ago, streetsahead said:

Even allowing exceptions for campus sites (like with Notre Dame) would help.  Why couldn't the West Regional be in Fargo/Sioux Falls and the Midwest in Madison?  For that matter, even not using campus sites, couldn't Fargo/Sioux Falls and St. Paul host regionals in the same year?  If Worcester and Bridgeport or Manchester and Providence can host in the same year why can't we do that in the west?

Without any changes, it seems likely that the West Regional will be in a rotation between Fargo, Sioux Falls and St. Paul and the Midwest regional will continue to be a big question mark.

the east schools whine about having to get on a plane.  Look at BC's record away from Worcester or Bridgeport.

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

#1 seeds should host.  They have earned that advantage.  It would end all the complaining about lower seeds hosting and getting an advantage over higher seeds.  Want to play a home regional?  Have a better season and earn the right to host. 

I'd agree,  but would all pay the ncaa's price to host. There are some very small arenas out there 

22 minutes ago, sprig said:

I'd agree,  but would all pay the ncaa's price to host. There are some very small arenas out there 

I had a big long response to that earlier and then remembered that very important detail. It's not necessarily just about whether they can sell tickets. It's about the guaranteed money. It's a heck of a lot harder to justify those costs when you have a 2,000 arena rather than a 10,000 or even 4,000 seat arena. I'm certain any #1 seed COULD sell out their arena, but would it be enough to cover the costs of hosting the NCAA?

• Upvote 1