SiouxSports.com Forum

Far too early, but what the hell...Bracketology

petey23

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If what happened to Providence in 2015 isn't going to change their minds about "neutral site" regional s, not sure what would.  Remember, Providence wasn't a host school but got put in the regional in Providence as a 4 seed to help boost attendance.  Basically playing a home game when they didn't earn it.  Not because they were the 4 seed, but because they did not bid for a regional but got a regional in their backyard.  And they obviously benefited by it by advancing to the Frozen Four and eventually winning it all.

Its an unfair advantage if UND get in the tournament and  a #1 seed has to play basically a road game.  But that's the reality of it.  And if no other team west of Allentown PA is going to make off campus bids to host, UND will continue to make the playoffs and be playing "home" games in either Sioux Falls or Fargo. 

Of course, to do it, they had to beat Boston U at TD Garden in Boston to do it, so, yea, props to Providence College.

Where was UND sent in 1998?  I can't remember...

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Wonder why he didn't write:

"All of this is well and good, except that when Penn State is a lower seed, it gets a de facto home game when it doesn't deserve it."

Same rules apply.

Not really. PSU fans don't show up in the numbers UND fans do, which was a big part of his point on what makes it a de facto home game.

I don't think there's any issue with the points he made. The NCAA has laid out the rules and no one is blaming UND for having a large fan base that travels. Nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious that a higher seed (likely a #1) could have a the possibility of playing in a hostile environment.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not really. PSU fans don't show up in the numbers UND fans do, which was a big part of his point on what makes it a de facto home game.

I don't think there's any issue with the points he made. The NCAA has laid out the rules and no one is blaming UND for having a large fan base that travels. Nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious that a higher seed (likely a #1) could have a the possibility of playing in a hostile environment.

UND travelling to Michigan in 1998...Denver as a #1 seed doing the same thing the very next year (I think it was 1999)...this isn't exactly ground-breaking news here.  

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Penn State will have a pretty good home advantage. If UND gets a de facto home game, so does Penn State. No doubt about it.

He claims UND doesn't deserve it. Penn State then also doesn't deserve it.

The article wasn't about yeah North Dakota will have a bigger home advantage than Penn State. That wouldn't have made much interest. It was about:

If North Dakota doesn't make it, which is possible, St. Cloud clearly plays the WCHA/Atlantic champ in Sioux Falls, and all problems solved.

St. Cloud traveling to the East was the "problem" for him.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Penn State will have a pretty good home advantage. If UND gets a de facto home game, so does Penn State. No doubt about it.

He article wasn't about yeah North Dakota will have a bigger home advantage than Penn State. That wouldn't have made much interest. It was about:

SCSU wouldn’t have to go east if the Midwest Regional was actually in the West. This is the real issue if you ask me. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

SCSU wouldn’t have to go east if the Midwest Regional was actually in the West. This is the real issue if you ask me. 

Wait, Allentown, PA, 81 miles by road  from the Atlantic Ocean isn't in the midwest?

28 minutes ago, Cratter said:

He claims UND doesn't deserve it. Penn State then also doesn't deserve it.

The article wasn't about yeah North Dakota will have a bigger home advantage than Penn State. That wouldn't have made much interest. It was about:

But Penn State's ranking isn't causing problems like UND's is. UND making it as a 4 seed causes the #1 overall seed to have to travel halfway across the country instead of to the closest regional. Not UND's fault, it is what it is and pointing it out isn't a slight. As someone else stated, if the Midwest regional wasn't in Pennsylvania, it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

40 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Exactly. We just need to stop feeling so slighted. He wrote this as a compliment to us.

In summation... UND is good, our fans travel, everyone hate us for these two reasons and that kind of messes up the regional. Done lol.

46 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think there's any issue with the points he made.

You don't think UND at 14th in the PWR deserves to play in Sioux Falls then. 

But PSU at 12th PWR playing only two hours away in their home state, No problem! 

In fairness, I don’t recall offhand what the other bids were but it sounds like other venues aren’t interested in hosting in the “west”? So SCSU may have had to go out east anyway if UND didn’t win this regional. Don’t like the outcome, then bid to host. If you don’t, you’re stuck with the results no matter who you are, at least it’s 100% objectively laid out. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

You don't think UND at 14th in the PWR deserves to play in Sioux Falls then. 

But PSU at 12th PWR playing only two hours away in their home state, No problem! 

It had nothing to with deserving and the issue isn't UND playing in Sioux Falls,  the issue is the #1 seed having to travel so far because of it. Not sure if people are looking to be offended or just argue dumb points. Penn State isn't relevant to the point, they aren't causing an issue for the top overall seed, which the committee has always done the best job of accommodating they can. Pointing out that might be an issue this year and why is not that big of deal. Until more places bid, it is what it is. 

21 minutes ago, Brett0909 said:

In fairness, I don’t recall offhand what the other bids were but it sounds like other venues aren’t interested in hosting in the “west”? So SCSU may have had to go out east anyway if UND didn’t win this regional. Don’t like the outcome, then bid to host. If you don’t, you’re stuck with the results no matter who you are, at least it’s 100% objectively laid out. 

Bingo.