SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

22 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

NAIA or D2?  Whomever said that didn't have a clue Gundy.  Didn't develop here much beyond his Soph year.  Great kid. I would agree we didn't utilize his strengths and we also didn't try and minimize his weaknesses.  I believe Herm Edwards said if you don't adjust your game plan to your players you will fail.  I don't think we have done that very well.  I said before with our talent at RB and lack of depth and strength in the Oline, we need to have a run option package that gets quick reads and as you have said get the ball to our playmakers in space.  Easier said than done but power running game requires power up front first and foremost.

Could of been a slight exaggeration by my source but I think the point was we didn't use Keaton like we should have.   Plus, he never stayed healthy enough in any given year.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2018 at 12:35 PM, gundy1124 said:

I was told Keaton would have been All American if we did hurry up, check with him, screens with lots of play action and dink n dunk passing game with TEs.  Not fibbing, very good source had that opinion. 

We did none of that, didn't play to the strengths of the most important offensive person on the field.

Completely agree. 100%

Especially with the defense hurting in ‘17, Bubba and Rudolph kept their head in the sand and didn’t adjust. 

So frustrating to see weapons on offense (Santiago, Oliveira, Johannesson, Cloyd) with a senior quarterback not being utilized correctly at all. This is where my faith in UND football under Bubba got torched the most last season. 

The offensive line didn’t gain any studs over the off-season, so I would sure hope the offense will be adjusted for ‘18. If not, it will be another brutal offensive season with the weight being put entirely on the defense.

17 minutes ago, AJS said:

Are the weights current on the roster page? Anybody notice anyone who sticks out in a good / bad way?

I think Mason Bennet is 255, not 235.

Our heaviest OLB is Palmberg at 215.  Seems too light at OLB.

ILB we have 3-4 key guys with size.  Rodgers-235, Williams-245, Larson-230, and Verde is borderline at 220.  If 2 of these guys are lost we won't be stopping the run, not with our teeny tiny OLB's we have.

Blair on the OL at 270 looks like he's finally going in the right direction.  There was a post that said 'they' figured something out with his lack of weight gain.  He has great feet!!

Ventrelli is listed at 260 coming in as a true freshman, will likely redshirt on the o-line.  This kid is athletic as hell, give us a 20 lb gain and we'll see this kid playing next year.

24 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

ILB we have 3-4 key guys with size.  Rodgers-235, Williams-245, Larson-230, and Verde is borderline at 220.  If 2 of these guys are lost we won't be stopping the run, not with our teeny tiny OLB's we have.

Blair on the OL at 270 looks like he's finally going in the right direction.  There was a post that said 'they' figured something out with his lack of weight gain.  He has great feet!!

Ventrelli is listed at 260 coming in as a true freshman, will likely redshirt on the o-line.  This kid is athletic as hell, give us a 20 lb gain and we'll see this kid playing next year.

I don’t trust the listed weights. They have been horrible at keeping them current. Hopefully they give an accurate account at the beginning of fall camp.

Our prototype at OLB should have been Labat. 6’2” 230lbs. Having fast guys out there is fine but we don’t run a 4-3 so we need guys that are bigger than 220 at LB.

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don’t trust the listed weights. They have been horrible at keeping them current. Hopefully they give an accurate account at the beginning of fall camp.

Our prototype at OLB should have been Labat. 6’2” 230lbs. Having fast guys out there is fine but we don’t run a 4-3 so we need guys that are bigger than 220 at LB.

I hope we're bigger at backer, overall, than what is listed.  

Agree, we do a horseshit job of weights from roster to roster as we've all seen thru the years.

35 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Ive mentioned on here couple times that Zeke would make a fantastic OLB.  Great size and twitch to go along the foot speed.  He seems to carry the leverage point regardless of size of the opposing player.   Kids going to special IMO.  Would love to see him get a chance at OLB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Ive mentioned on here couple times that Zeke would make a fantastic OLB.  Great size and twitch to go along the foot speed.  He seems to carry the leverage point regardless of size of the opposing player.   Kids going to special IMO.  Would love to see him get a chance at OLB

I would agree and at his size he could help us this season.  Give us a big body coming off the edge.

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Are the weights current on the roster page? Anybody notice anyone who sticks out in a good / bad way?

Normally, the weights listed are from last spring for players who were on campus and "recruited" weights for all newcomers.  With players just arriving on campus this week, they will be weighed in the next couple of days and the roster page should be updated soon.  Hopefully, we will see some significant weight gains!

• Upvote 1

It's at least 7-4 and making the playoffs this year or it's a Bust for me this year I think, and a disappointment.  Unlike some I do think we make the playoffs if we go 7-4 this year, even though it may hurt us not having a conference sticking up for us to the committee.  We aren't going to lose a game this year to a team with 1 win like we did last time.  Also we are playing in the Big Sky which is one of the better conferences, and we have a tough non conference schedule in Sam Houston and Washington.  We will have some injuries this year but I think we have better depth than we've had for a while so that we can hopefully avoid the really 'Bad loss'.  If all of our safeties go down or something though who knows.  But at least we appear to have 3 legit QB's that even if 2 should go down we will still hopefully be able to put up some points and win with our offense if needed.  

It will be a rare occasion but I will be pulling for Montana.....to beat UNI, so that we can then beat Montana.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

Looking at the recruiting list from this year,  whatever happened to OG Kyle Hergel from Canada? What happened to safety Omerron from Netherlands?

I swear to God, if we have another Canadian OL not show up I’m going to never consume maple syrup again

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Nice!  So was that the QB's throwing to them?    I'm so ready for some football....this was a good appetizer though!  Hoping the WR's and the passing game can have more of an impact for us this year earlier in games instead of waiting until we need them to make a play.  

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I would agree and at his size he could help us this season.  Give us a big body coming off the edge.

With the size/speed combination his assets would be best utilized at OLB. Not that he wont do well at DE but he would be a disadvantage for opposing Os lined up on the outside.

Like gundy mentioned the heaviest OLB is 215.  A lot of drop down safeties.  Need more beef!    With a 3-4 front und needs all the beef they can get behind the drop down 3.   Having another couple of safeties up close is very rarely an advantage. Good teams will (and have) expose them.  

• Upvote 1

Santiago / Harris named to the Preseason All-Americans list by STATS.

What is everyone's actual expectations for Harris this year? Nationally they are as if he is going to pick off where he left off pre injury. Is he fully healthy? Will he be anywhere close to where he was? If he is, that's a real game changer for the defense.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

What is everyone's actual expectations for Harris this year? Nationally they are as if he is going to pick off where he left off pre injury. Is he fully healthy? Will he be anywhere close to where he was? If he is, that's a real game changer for the defense.

10+ interceptions, 5+ TDs, Top 5 Draft Pick

reasonable?

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

These injuries do take time but it has been over a year since the injury and right around a year since his surgery. I have to imagine he has been rehabbing hard as well. He's probably not 100% right now but the season is still one month away.

11 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Noticed Santiago listed with all the Jets..... does this mean something?!?

I wouldn’t read too much in to it, but they have practiced and have formations with him out wide!