SiouxSports.com Forum

New Hospital Facility in GF

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Last three Altru presidents (Weiser, Lunn and Ryan) go back nearly 25 years. Did Brown precede them?

Altru formed in 1997 when United Health and GF Clinic merged. Pretty sure Ryan was the CEO at inception. Seems like an odd shot at Brown. The mayor thing is a stretch as well. Not a fan of plenty he has or hasn't done but it's not like he's had much for formidable challengers, that isn't exactly his fault. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

In order to focus on COVID-19, the hospital has reduced most general-elective surgeries by 60%, a huge drain on its revenue. Construction of its new $250 million facility has been put on hold, and hours of operation at some Altru locations are being reduced. The hospital is also moving to reduce pay and furlough some staff.

So Altru is gonna have trouble paying for the new hospital?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

So Altru is gonna have trouble paying for the new hospital?

They're going to roll out a pilot program in which each patient presenting at the ER will be asked to weld a few beams before triage.  Unless they have COVID-19 symptoms, in which case they'll have to pour a few yards of concrete as well.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

They're going to roll out a pilot program in which each patient presenting at the ER will be asked to weld a few beams before triage.  Unless they have COVID-19 symptoms, in which case they'll have to pour a few yards of concrete as well.

I thought the nurses and staff were doing that.

Dr. Steven Weiser, president of Altru Health System, said in the hospital's announcement. “We don’t know exactly how COVID-19 will impact our community, only that it will. Pausing construction allows us to direct our focus to caring for patients and supporting the Altru team members who provide that critical care. 

Reduced staff and paycuts usually dont go together with "all hands on deck to fight this pandemic!"

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, yzerman19 said:

Better to scale back than live with a bad decision...kinda like getting married.  

On 12/15/2019 at 11:30 AM, MrEdway said:

When a project shrinks by 25% just months after it is announced, I have to wonder about the competence of those in charge. 

Now that another change was announced today for the new hospital...

Which one is the bad decision?

Or are they incompetent?

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/7110664-Altru-announces-expanded-hospital-plan-going-back-to-a-seven-floor-facility-construction-is-set-to-begin-in-fall

No re-work will be necessary on the hospital, as the site was properly secured when construction was temporarily stopped.

That steel has been exposed a long time.  Any engineers on here care to weigh in?

Calculated risks are one thing, but given that the impetus for this construction was a near-catastrophic structural failure, one might wonder if it's worth the chance.

The article in the Herald was awfully light on tech...surely they would have asked the tough question and/or sought comment from an independent expert.  'Cause journalism, right?  I mean, I can't be the only one thinking about it.

9 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/7110664-Altru-announces-expanded-hospital-plan-going-back-to-a-seven-floor-facility-construction-is-set-to-begin-in-fall

That steel has been exposed a long time.  Any engineers on here care to weigh in?

Calculated risks are one thing, but given that the impetus for this construction was a near-catastrophic structural failure, one might wonder if it's worth the chance.

The article in the Herald was awfully light on tech...surely they would have asked the tough question and/or sought comment from an independent expert.  'Cause journalism, right?  I mean, I can't be the only one thinking about it.

Not an engineer and its a fair question because I've wondered (and heard) various things on it, but you have to assume there is a builder's risk involved and if it needed to be replaced, it would be required before any reputable firm would touch it again. Unless it has changed, PCL Construction is the firm overseeing the construction management and they aren't exactly a mom and pop shop (among plenty of other sizable project, the Rogers Place, home of the Edmonton Oilers, is in their portfolio).

47 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not an engineer and its a fair question because I've wondered (and heard) various things on it, but you have to assume there is a builder's risk involved and if it needed to be replaced, it would be required before any reputable firm would touch it again. Unless it has changed, PCL Construction is the firm overseeing the construction management and they aren't exactly a mom and pop shop (among plenty of other sizable project, the Rogers Place, home of the Edmonton Oilers, is in their portfolio).

According to a structural engineer I asked they “should be fine”

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

According to a structural engineer I asked they “should be fine”

Y'all'd be surprised how much steel sits around outside in weather before being put to use. 

And there could be a hidden benefit: Visible/measureable settling if there is any. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2021 at 7:29 PM, Cratter said:

Now that another change was announced today for the new hospital...

Which one is the bad decision?

Or are they incompetent?

I'm not close to it to know which is the bad decision.  I was trusting that those doing the math didn't see the original plan as viable and therefore scaled back.  More time gives you more info.  Could be a good decision or a bad decision.  You make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time.  Time will tell.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Hows progress looking?  Do they have a live webcam for construction?

9 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Big crane there not moving costing dollaz 

Indeed.  If there has been any structural progress since my post in early October, it's virtually impossible to detect from Columbia.  The site looks essentially untouched.