SiouxSports.com Forum

New Hospital Facility in GF

The Sicatoka

7 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Indeed.  If there has been any structural progress since my post in early October, it's virtually impossible to detect from Columbia.  The site looks essentially untouched.

This is the longest construction process ever lol.  Thanks to both of you for updates

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Just an observation: 

• Weiser (MD) out as president
  • Forkel (not an MD) coming in as CEO (and has previously held president/CEO titles at other hospital systems) 

Makes ya wonder if that comes into play. 

36 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Just an observation: 

• Weiser (MD) out as president
  • Forkel (not an MD) coming in as CEO (and has previously held president/CEO titles at other hospital systems) 

Makes ya wonder if that comes into play. 

On the record, Altru states it doesn't have anything to do with it. But maybe? 

When the Herald asked if Weiser's separation was voluntary, Bonzer said it was the Altru Board of Directors’ decision.

“These changes are not related to Todd Forkel’s arrival,” she wrote, referring to Tuesday’s full announcement. “We are thrilled to welcome Todd to our executive team next week.

Strange timing considering Dr. Weiser was just named the Chair of the ND Hospital Association.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/altru-leader-named-chair-of-north-dakota-hospital-association

• 1 month later...

Sanford will confirm the rumors of a new hospital by saying "It's ALL TRUE!" (sorry couldn't resist)

That's some of the most expensive land in GF - you don't buy 67 acres to put up a couple clinics.   Altru !@#$ their pants and payed out a ton to buy out their other potential competitor (Remember "Doctors Hospital"?) several years ago?  Now they're doubling down by re-starting the new hospital construction with the original 7 story building plans and not the scaled down building.  Competition is coming to GF Healthcare and should be good for consumers.

4 hours ago, dmksioux said:

This is interesting...

Seems like an unusual approach for Sanford, whose strategy has been to buy up clinics and hospitals, often when the seller is distressed / losing money.  Starting from scratch, if that's what they do, would be interesting.

I also wonder how much Canadian traffic they might expect in a GF location.

My last question is about their potential relationship to UND Athletics.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Sanford, buys open dirt, along an interstate, in an area ripe for future development, ... I've heard that somewhere before ... 

Now I bet an interchange between 32nd Ave S and Thompson gets completed. 

Sanfords goal is to take over the whole state, good or bad.

‘they are putting a hospital in Williston to compete with the catholic hospital that’s is there that is aging and not really bringing anything new to Williston.  The new Williston hospital will bring new services to western ND.  

the one thing in health care that competition doesn’t do is bring down prices. 

in the long run this is good for GF and UND medical school, just my 2 cents. 

On 4/7/2022 at 10:38 AM, FSSD said:

What happened to the Sanford merger with a hospital system in Utah?

Fell through when Krabbenhoft got fired over the refusal to wear a mask back in Nov of 2020. He was the lead Sanford person behind the merger, and Sanford decided that trying to do a leadership change and a merger at the same time was a bad idea. There was talk about the same time about Sanford acquiring some local CHI assets like the hospital in Breckenridge/Wahpeton, but that also faded away in December 2020/January 2021. All of this was about a year(Nov 2019) after another big merger failed when UnityPoint Health of Iowa backed out after months of talks.