SiouxSports.com Forum

Injuries

Longtime fan

11 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I think it was a good conversation until Bison06 was accused of trolling.  It's just like politics.... not all conversation is bad.  And homers here say way worse stuff.

I didn't think he was out of line, but we are all P##%ed off here with the way the season has gone.

QUESTION: Which of the wounded medical RS eligible.

I'll say it......

Nobody would be giving Johannesen a second thought if he weren't A) a local kid, and B) a Gopher transfer.  The two guys ahead of him both ran for over C-Note last game.  He's not seeing the field because he's not as good as the guys ahead of him.  He will probably be a factor in 2019.  Until then, he's a depth guy.......

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, shep said:

I didn't think he was out of line, but we are all P##%ed off here with the way the season has gone.

QUESTION: Which of the wounded medical RS eligible.

I agree, I think it was a legitimate question and some of us have been wondering it too.   Thinking everybody is just extra touchy given the way things have gone this season.  

17 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

backhanded snear, that's pretty correct. A troll without a home. Mostly bringing up stuff with a negative aspect about UND. Just like the last one about not going to the FB games  because UND lost

Careful he's just here to have positive informative conversations and anyone who thinks otherwise is just negative about guests from Moo U.  In my mind it's like tailgating at UND when the guy in full SU regalia walks up and says "Oh ya well Sioux Suck".

The good thing is there is plenty of other sources for reading about UND sports. Sadly this isn't one of them anymore. It has digressed into second guessing, calls for coaches heads and allowing bison trolls to run amok. When it turns into defending the trolls and bashing the supporters it's time for me to move on. I wish you all the best.  

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Careful he's just here to have positive informative conversations and anyone who thinks otherwise is just negative about guests from Moo U.  In my mind it's like tailgating at UND when the guy in full SU regalia walks up and says "Oh ya well Sioux Suck".

The good thing is there is plenty of other sources for reading about UND sports. Sadly this isn't one of them anymore. It has digressed into second guessing, calls for coaches heads and allowing bison trolls to run amok. When it turns into defending the trolls and bashing the supporters it's time for me to move on. I wish you all the best.  

You confuse "bashing supporters" with pointing out problems with one of our teams and a desire to see them fixed. I was hard on Mussman because I saw where he was taking the program. I am not there with Bubba yet, but I do think he needs to make some staff changes (especially with regard to offensive coordinator and special teams). If that is just too negative for you, by all means go someplace else.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree, I think it was a legitimate question and some of us have been wondering it too.   Thinking everybody is just extra touchy given the way things have gone this season.  

Guys, this is all natural with the 5 stages of Death.  After denial for a short moment we all went into anger for a 2-3 week stretch.  I think most of us are bargaining with some depression right now on what we can salvage from the season.  And soon we'll accept the reality of the season and move on.  The more I go over it, the more I see what these key and numerous injuries have done to the season.  And to beat a dead horse, I think we should turn up the dial on the offense (the innovation and play to our personnel dial)  Let Keaton toss it around, get John in space, pound Brady, JJ in the FB position with a wheel route, that's my equation anyway.  The hard facts now, we need sustained drives, or short drives for all I care, but they need to end in TD's and 35+ points in a game for us to have a chance.  Mark my words, close to 35 or over = W. (most of the time)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I'll say it......

Nobody would be giving Johannesen a second thought if he weren't A) a local kid, and B) a Gopher transfer.  The two guys ahead of him both ran for over C-Note last game.  He's not seeing the field because he's not as good as the guys ahead of him.  He will probably be a factor in 2019.  Until then, he's a depth guy.......

I would respectfully disagree.  If you watched him play HS FB one would  asking questions and it would be more than a "second thought".  People ask questions about a lot of backups, freshmen and redshirts.  They are all legitimate questions. The kid has excellent potential.  You are correct about the 2 guys ahead of him, but there should be an opportunity to give him reps when we are getting blown out like we have been.   Also Gundy's idea of reps at Fullback make sense.  I don't think we always take advantage of opportunities to get other kids playing time. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am not there with Bubba yet, but I do think he needs to make some staff changes (especially with regard to offensive coordinator and special teams). If that is just too negative for you, by all means go someplace else.

People always feel the need for a scapegoat. Bubba has his hand deep into all aspects of the game plan, including offense and special teams, and those guys are following through on that. No area of the team is perfect right now, but people are just throwing darts at whoever or whatever they feel is low hanging fruit.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

People always feel the need for a scapegoat. Bubba has his hand deep into all aspects of the game plan, including offense and special teams, and those guys are following through on that. No area of the team is perfect right now, but people are just throwing darts at whoever or whatever they feel is low hanging fruit.

Maybe Bubba is micromanaging too much? The head coach has to delegate things to their assistants and then keep them or replace them according to the results or lack thereof.

• Like 1

Bubbaball is built on running the ball, controlling the clock and mixing in some play action passes.  With the line injuries, running the ball was very tough until last week and even then much of the yardage was from 2 big runs for Santiago.   On defense Bubbaball is about stopping the run and putting lots of pressure on the opposing qb through blitzes which forces lots of turnovers and the defense scoring lots of points.

The last three games the offense has not been able to run the ball and the defense has not been able to stop the run, not putting the opposition in position where blitzing works as well.  When we do blitz, we don't have the athletes or experience to get home.  

When you read Tom Miller's blog piece it really helps put it all in perspective.  The injuries/retirement have made certain positions a weakness instead of a strength.  IMO very few teams could have 60% of the starting OL out and 5 ILB out and be nearly as competitive.  Think about how different if we had starting OL intact and O'brien and Rodgers were backed up by Larson and Hunt not to mention losing Harris for the season and Reyes for at least one game.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, if we want to win more than 1 game this year, we may have to change our philosophy on both sides of the ball. You have to plan with the personnel you have, not the personnel you wish you had.

i think you saw some of that vs Davis.  Need to find a way to stretch the field offensively.  Defense is more problematic with the ILB.  I'm not sure Rastas would be 195 if you weighed him today adn even Jake 200?  Now Jake is out which will probably even more problematic.  I think Schmidt could do more sending the OLB on the edge to stir things up and maybe even drop Rastas back into safety coverage and Jake when he is back and bring cole and stewart.  Have to figure something out.  I think the ILB problems have exposed another problem with the DL,  Many of the 3X3 deep just are not big enough IMO.  Need DL al more shaped like tank and less like a big linebacker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, if we want to win more than 1 game this year, we may have to change our philosophy on both sides of the ball. You have to plan with the personnel you have, not the personnel you wish you had.

Bubba's weakness is inflexibility - if you want to play smash-face football you need to insure that it is not your face getting smashed.  I understand the injury situation, but am not real pleased with the coaches response to it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

#Chuckthepigskin

Agree but that is a weakness that the coaches and many on this board prefer.  Bubba wanted a guy who can "read defenses and hand the ball off".  Keaton can do that and for the most part he has minimized turn overs.  He isn't a guy who can carry an offense.  Our receivers also need to quit dropping the damn ball.  It doesn't help when Keaton gets on a roll if they aren't catching the ball.  I always watch receivers when they are warming up or playing catch as the QB warms up. Ours  don't tend to look the ball into their hands then tuck it in.  One of the basic fundamentals.  When they do it every time with every pass they catch whether in practice, games or on the sideline it becomes a habit and you don't tend to drop the ball.  Try it yourself.  I bet you catch the ball better.  Coaches and QB's should always insist their receivers do this.  When running patterns they also need to be in the habit of turning up field after the catch and tuck.  Our guys haven't been doing that very well in warm ups nor in games.  Passing game must improve.  We also need to diversify if you want great QB's to come here.  How many are going to jump at the chance to read the defense and hand the ball off.   Receivers want to go where they will get the ball thrown to them.  Our strength is our running game but we also need to be versatile enough to pass not only when we need to but when we want to. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Agree but that is a weakness that the coaches and many on this board prefer.  Bubba wanted a guy who can "read defenses and hand the ball off".  Keaton can do that and for the most part he has minimized turn overs.  He isn't a guy who can carry an offense.  Our receivers also need to quit dropping the damn ball.  It doesn't help when Keaton gets on a roll if they aren't catching the ball.  I always watch receivers when they are warming up or playing catch as the QB warms up. Ours  don't tend to look the ball into their hands then tuck it in.  One of the basic fundamentals.  When they do it every time with every pass they catch whether in practice, games or on the sideline it becomes a habit and you don't tend to drop the ball.  Try it yourself.  I bet you catch the ball better.  Coaches and QB's should always insist their receivers do this.  When running patterns they also need to be in the habit of turning up field after the catch and tuck.  Our guys haven't been doing that very well in warm ups nor in games.  Passing game must improve.  We also need to diversify if you want great QB's to come here.  How many are going to jump at the chance to read the defense and hand the ball off.   Receivers want to go where they will get the ball thrown to them.  Our strength is our running game but we also need to be versatile enough to pass not only when we need to but when we want to. 

I agree with you 100% The dropped balls have had me yelling at the TV this season. I guess my point is to change up the offense a bit because we cannot play the way we want to play right now due to the young OL. I saw glimpses of that against Davis but we couldn't sustain it. If we can run it down a teams throat I would love to do it because it would keep the defense off the field, but I just don't see that happening.

Regardless, I will we watching again this Saturday!

• Like 1