SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

If the Olympian story keeps getting pushed, how about if S Korea and/or China offered to pay UND as its training site for developing their women's Olympics team and nearly all their teams were grads of the program.  The Twins and others would still rip on UND because it wasn't offering Americans girls a spot.  But that's the only way for the program to possibly bring in some significant dollars.

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Complaint was filed 3 days after the sports were cut. This was a predictable knee jerk reaction that was fully expected. 

Not surprisingly, they mention how many scholarships were cut (and do mention some will be reinvested) but leave out how scholarships previously were over-favoring females. 

Maybe while while they are up here looking around, they can take a look 75 miles south and see how out of whack those numbers are (I know, but surveys....).

Poor dub,  look who's under investigation for IX problems.   Looks like that extra money saved by cutting Women's opportunities in sports will be going to lawyers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Dear Dan,

Thanks for your interest in UND Athletics. We've been moving to an alignment that looks more like NDSUs. 

The Same --
NDSU: FB, MBB, WBB, VB, WSB, WSOC, "The Six", WGolf, MGolf
UND: FB, MBB, WBB, VB, WSB, WSOC, "The Six", WGolf, MGolf

The Differences --
NDSU: WIH, Wrestling, Baseball
UND: MIH, M/W Tennis, WIH, M/W S&D,

So, yes UND has M/W Tennis. Seems balanced there so let's forget Tennis for now. 

Now the questions:

Does MIH at UND balance out both Wresting and Baseball at NDSU? By participants, opportunities? Surely not. 

More importantly, should one smirk and feel glee about a Title IX investigation (that I welcome), but instead, should one be asking, "Why did UND have that happen only when they moved to look like NDSU?" So, should you really be happy? The NDSU model triggered an investigation at UND. You should be hoping that UND comes away with no findings, or else NDSU would seem to be prime for a similar investigation. 

So, Dan, thanks for reading, and enjoy that morning cup of coffe. 

"The Six" == M/W I/O T&F and M/W CC

I don't know something is missing - maybe WIH for NDSU.  All they have to do is fill out a survey.  It should balance out NDSU quite nicely. FYP.  That would completely level the playing field between UND and NDSU.  Game on boys.

6 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I don't know something is missing - maybe WIH for NDSU.  All they have to do is fill out a survey.  It should balance out NDSU quite nicely. FYP.  That would completely level the playing field between UND and NDSU.  Game on boys.

Let's pool some money together and pay enough ndsu girls to fill out surveys in favor of them adding women's hockey. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, FSSD said:

i don't see wih on gobison.com? i see 7 mens/7 womens

8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Be interesting to see who it was that filed...

How long does this usual take and could this slow down the WIH players from going elsewhere?

Those are two of my main questions as well.

It's slightly comforting that it appears UND did their due diligence before making the cuts, hiring Baker Donelson to what we assume checked off on everything, as well as this was something that they expected would happen. 

I'm still nervous as I'm not familiar with the history of the potential negative outcomes if this weren't to go the way that UND / Baker Donelson assumed. Could they mandate that Women's hockey be reinstated? What are the potential outcomes if UND is said not to be Title IX compliant? 

This is the final war that had to take place in order to get rid of the black hole that is Women's hockey. We never would have seen the full potential of what the University's athletic teams were capable with that anchor and this is the final battle. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

Those are two of my main questions as well.

It's slightly comforting that it appears UND did their due diligence before making the cuts, hiring Baker Donelson to what we assume checked off on everything, as well as this was something that they expected would happen. 

I'm still nervous as I'm not familiar with the history of the potential negative outcomes if this weren't to go the way that UND / Baker Donelson assumed. Could they mandate that Women's hockey be reinstated? What are the potential outcomes if UND is said not to be Title IX compliant? 

This is the final war that had to take place in order to get rid of the black hole that is Women's hockey. We never would have seen the full potential of what the University's athletic teams were capable with that anchor and this is the final battle. 

wih is dead..100% dead...they (ncaa or the lammy sisters) can't tell you to HAVE wih...at the worst they add women's schollies to the sports that aren't maxed out i assume (soccer, softball, t & f ??)