SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I do it to bring a smile to an old man's face. 
(Of course I'm talking about dead Abe Vigoda. ;)

And come on. Nothing for this gem in post 257 over there:

I figured you, et al, would be all over that hanging curve. 

I am shocked investigative reporter Schlossman didn't press Idalski about sort of knowing it might happen, but failing to tell the team. :lol:

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I am shocked investigative reporter Schlossman didn't press Idalski about sort of knowing it might happen, but failing to tell the team. :lol:

I have always said that much of the "shock factor" shown by the players was a lot Idalski's fault for not preparing his players for the possibility that their program might be cut.  Heck, if a bunch of idiots on a fan message board saw it coming a year ago, you'd think the head coach would maybe have an idea what is going on!!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I have always said that much of the "shock factor" shown by the players was a lot Idalski's fault for not preparing his players for the possibility that their program might be cut.  Heck, if a bunch of idiots on a fan message board saw it coming a year ago, you'd think the head coach would maybe have an idea what is going on!!

Image result for i resemble that remark

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I have always said that much of the "shock factor" shown by the players was a lot Idalski's fault for not preparing his players ... 

Idalski failed to properly prepare his team. 

Whatarewetalkinbouthereagain? 

• Upvote 2

Amy Menke wrote a piece for the Player's Tribune.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/amy-menke-north-dakota-womens-hockey-cut/

Look, I know, North Dakota is a school first and foremost. I understand the complications that come with running a program as expensive as hockey. UND cut men’s golf and baseball last year, and our team had been making small budget adjustments all season. Cheaper travel, less meals, all that stuff. But what really made the news tougher to take was the manner in which we found out.

2 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

The coach was obviously in denial or he was angry and wanted to make UND look as bad as possible. There is no way the staff did not know prior to the announcement.

He had to have known something in January when the announcement was made that there would be more cuts.  The dollar amount was out there of how much UND needed to cut from it's athletic program.  There was no other option to cut as much as they did and stay above the required amount of sports required for Division 1.  The womens hockey team was not one of the potential teams that were on the chopping block in the first round of cuts last year.  But that all changes in January.  Idalski assuming that his program was still safe is either ignorant on his part for not realizing it, or irresponsible on his part for seeing the high probability of it actually happening.

... our team had been making small budget adjustments all season. Cheaper travel, less meals, all that stuff. But what really made the news tougher to take was the manner in which we found out.

Cheaper travel and fewer meals (fewer, not less, fewer) is going to solve the problem when entire teams have been cut already and it's not close to enough? 

As far as how you found out, allow me to say it again: UND had to tell the WWCHA. The first news came from Todd Mileski, who is tight with the WCHA. Seems reasonable the leak is there. And why might the WWCHA leak? Could the WCHA still be upset about UND's role in forming the NCHC? Would they want to put a stick in UND's eye given the chance? 

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Idalski assuming that his program was still safe is either ignorant on his part for not realizing it, or irresponsible on his part for seeing the high probability of it actually happening.

Just whistling past the graveyard. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

The coach was obviously in denial or he was angry and wanted to make UND look as bad as possible. There is no way the staff did not know prior to the announcement.

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

He had to have known something in January when the announcement was made that there would be more cuts.  The dollar amount was out there of how much UND needed to cut from it's athletic program.  There was no other option to cut as much as they did and stay above the required amount of sports required for Division 1.  The womens hockey team was not one of the potential teams that were on the chopping block in the first round of cuts last year.  But that all changes in January.  Idalski assuming that his program was still safe is either ignorant on his part for not realizing it, or irresponsible on his part for seeing the high probability of it actually happening.

Amy says they were making budget adjustment (true or said for the story, but lets go with it's true) then they knew well before they were in the crosshairs that they may be getting cut. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Cheaper travel and fewer meals (fewer, not less, fewer) is going to solve the problem when entire teams have been cut already and it's not close to enough? 

As far as how you found out, allow me to say it again: UND had to tell the WWCHA. The first news came from Todd Mileski, who is tight with the WCHA. Seems reasonable the leak is there. And why might the WWCHA leak? Could the WCHA still be upset about UND's role in forming the NCHC? Would they want to put a stick in UND's eye given the chance? 

Or Wisconsin wants UND to get blamed for what Alvarez has been getting blamed for since the B1G and NCHC left the WCHA.

13 minutes ago, tnt said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4254904-herald-announces-reductions

Where is Schlossman's outrage on these reductions.  While he is off covering a Frozen Four that UND wasn't a part of, the Herald was planning job cuts.  Wonder how they found out they lost their jobs?

did they find out while preparing for an article...and did they find out on twitter?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tnt said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4254904-herald-announces-reductions

Where is Schlossman's outrage on these reductions.  While he is off covering a Frozen Four that UND wasn't a part of, the Herald was planning job cuts.  Wonder how they found out they lost their jobs?

He's too busy penning this http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4254943-office-civil-rights-opening-investigation-unds-title-ix-compliance

"The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights is opening an investigation to determine whether UND is Title IX compliant after recent athletics cuts.

The investigation is being launched after the ORC received a complaint alleging discrimination based upon sex because of the selection of sports at the school does not effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of members of both sexes to the extent necessary to provide equal athletic opportunity."

Interesting how the same article is portrayed differently in two papers owned by the same company

GF Herald - "Office of Civil Rights opening investigation into UND's Title IX compliance"

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4254943-office-civil-rights-opening-investigation-unds-title-ix-compliance

Fargo Forum - "Amid cuts, UND's Title IX compliance in question"

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4254954-amid-cuts-unds-title-ix-compliance-question

Complaint was filed 3 days after the sports were cut. This was a predictable knee jerk reaction that was fully expected. 

Not surprisingly, they mention how many scholarships were cut (and do mention some will be reinvested) but leave out how scholarships previously were over-favoring females. 

Maybe while while they are up here looking around, they can take a look 75 miles south and see how out of whack those numbers are (I know, but surveys....).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Complaint was filed 3 days after the sports were cut. This was a predictable knee jerk reaction that was fully expected. 

Not surprisingly, Brad mentions how many scholarships were cut (and does mention some will be reinvested) but leaves out how scholarships previously were over-favoring females. 

FYP - That would have required facts that do not support his position.