SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

7 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

bet the  name that filed it will be Brandtly Schlossbergermann...

he definitely has a love affair with the women's team.  He doesn't cover the story unbiased by any means.  I am losing respect for him as he keeps going on and on about it,  I get a feeling that he is the lost Lamey kid that couldn't play hockey.  

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

he definitely has a love affair with the women's team.  He doesn't cover the story unbiased by any means.  I am losing respect for him as he keeps going on and on about it,  I get a feeling that he is the lost Lamey kid that couldn't play tennis  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Any chance that S&D filed it?  

Wonder if a third party lib crusader filed it on behalf of the teams.....

I'd put my $$$ on that.  I don't think either of the teams would do it but who knows (plus if they did, I think someone/somewhere would leak it by now that they did it)

On 4/22/2017 at 6:54 AM, Bison Dan said:

Poor dub,  look who's under investigation for IX problems.   Looks like that extra money saved by cutting Women's opportunities in sports will be going to lawyers. 

I look forward to the investigation.  Feel UND did their homework here. 

I'm hoping when it's done they release a nice summary of numbers and explain why UND is in compliance.  Maybe some comparisons to area schools so the people out there on a witch hunt really understand how in compliance UND was. 

• Upvote 2

As I've shown already, UND WIH's operating budget was nominally $2.4 million (expenses).

A $60 million endowment at 4% interest would generate that. 

If you don't understand that math (meaning not just 0.04 * $60M, but how you operate an endowment) you should raise your game first, and then complain to the former CFO of Macy's. 

26 minutes ago, Prison_Mike said:

kkLU_R7o_reasonably_small.jpg

@SchlossmanGF how much money did it cost to start ASU from scratch? I'll take a guess and say significantly less than the 60 million.

I don't believe she knows what an endowment is...

I don't think she realizes that they still need $80 to $100 million to build an arena.

Arizona State estimated they needed a $30 million endowment in 2015, but with half the operating budget: 

At the time, club coach Greg Powers estimated the team would need a financial of endowment of approximately $30 million, with annual operating budget of close to $1 million.

Source: http://www.houseofsparky.com/2015/4/19/8448887/asu-arizona-state-hockey-ncaa-division-i-masters-thesis-sun-devil 

I'll say it again:

UND WIH's operating expenses were more than DOUBLE the estimated ASU number of $1 million; thus, double (at least) the estimated ASU $30 million endowment. 

There is your $60 million. 

Next question. 

Somebody tweet that little factoid, or this link (to this post) to her. 

Dickinson State is looking at closing down:

• two sports
  • their nursing program
  • an academic department 

Because of an $8.8 million (30%) cut by the state legislature. 
http://www.inforum.com/news/4254978-dickinson-state-funding-proposal-likely-flashpoint-late-session 

Everyone is feeling this pain; some are publicly admitting it. 

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I thought the article said that ASU has a 32 million dollar endowment to run the program, for now?   

Yup.
But remember: They targeted having the endowment generate $1 million annually. 

UND WIH needs $2 million annually based on the FY16 NCAA report. Thus, you need double the endowment: $60 million. 

Don't get lost in the details:
ASU said $30 million to generate $1 million annually.
UND WIH needs $2 million annually, so $60 million.
Don't blame me, it's ASU's numbers. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yup.
But remember: They targeted having the endowment generate $1 million annually. 

UND WIH needs $2 million annually based on the FY16 NCAA report. Thus, you need double the endowment: $60 million. 

But Schlossman tweeted that it wasn't endowed?  Is the 32 million technically not an endowment for the hockey program?

Just now, UND1983 said:

But Schlossman tweeted that it wasn't endowed?  Is the 32 million technically not an endowment for the hockey program?

It's an endowment, but not fully funding the program. Und football has million+ $ endowment for scholarships. Wouldn't characterize the program as endowed though. 

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

It's an endowment, but not fully funding the program. Und football has million+ $ endowment for scholarships. Wouldn't characterize the program as endowed though. 

Gotcha.   I have never been described as having that, either.  

• Upvote 2

Who else is tired of the Lamoureux twins? Now that they both are making 70k to 100k, are they still selling tshirts as a fundraiser?  what a joke, when are people gonna wise up to there personal motives.  Its all about them.

• Upvote 3

From a few things floating around social media, I have a hunch that the Title IX lawsuit was filed by a player and/or a family member of the women's hockey team. If that is correct, I am more likely to believe it was a pure reaction to the decision and based on emotion, not facts. That clearly doesn't mean UND is in the clear because you never know how something like this can turn out, however it does add some comfort that it likely wasn't based on any hard facts, particularly when UND had experts in compliance come in before decisions were made while the lawsuit seems to be have been done with little to no research.