SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/division-i-women/

Average attendance for all but 3 schools this last season for womens college hockey was less than 1000.  Two thirds of all womesn programs averaged less than 500.  And I can gaurantee the average ticket price is in the single digits.

Womens College hockey is not as popular and in demand as some portray it to be.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Big Green said:

There were not games where they offered $1 tickets and only got a few Thousand.

You said I flat out lied?

You said they had several games where they drew 4-5k a game....there was 1 game where they drew over 4k in the history of the program.

On average by season over the course of 13 seasons UND drew 864 fans per game(ranging from 309 per game in 06-07 to the high water mark of 1485 in 11-12). the cost of those tickets varied from free on up to I am sure $15-20/game.

29 minutes ago, petey23 said:

You said I flat out lied?

You said they had several games where they drew 4-5k a game....there was 1 game where they drew over 4k in the history of the program.

On average by season over the course of 13 seasons UND drew 864 fans per game(ranging from 309 per game in 06-07 to the high water mark of 1485 in 11-12). the cost of those tickets varied from free on up to I am sure $15-20/game.

You had said they sold $1 tickets and only got a couple hundred fans.  That was not true.  I said I went to a couple $1 games and there were 4-5h fans there.  I don't have the time to look, but if they only drew over 4k one time and you looked than so be it.  Seems to me like the $1 games were pretty full.

$1 games will almost always draw better than a free game.  For $1 people think they are getting a deal.  For Free they think they are getting a worthless product.  (insert joke here)

From the article:

"Robert Morris cut its men's and women's programs in May 2021 just months after the school hosted the men's Frozen Four. In December 2021, the school announced both programs would be reinstated for the 2023-24 season thanks to fundraising efforts.

Alaska Anchorage had its hockey program, along with other sports, cut in September 2020, but the team was reinstated in August 2021 following a grassroots $3 million fundraising campaign in which the NHL's Seattle Kraken were involved."

Was there any "grassroots fundraising campaign" to keep the UND womens hockey program?!!  Did anyone donate to save the program?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Anyone with a champions club membership got in free for at least quite a few years.
They still only drew a few hundred or less for most games.

They also had drawings for "free tuition" to try to get students to go to the games.

Frankly, women's hockey is a lot like electric vehicles.

- lots of true believers who will explain the greatness to you
- lots of skeptics with legitimate concerns to address
- the day may come but forcing it won't help 
- it ain't as cheap as you think 
- will you get the return

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

- alot of people singing their praises that don't own one (or attend in our case)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

You had said they sold $1 tickets and only got a couple hundred fans.  That was not true.  I said I went to a couple $1 games and there were 4-5h fans there.  I don't have the time to look, but if they only drew over 4k one time and you looked than so be it.  Seems to me like the $1 games were pretty full.

$1 games will almost always draw better than a free game.  For $1 people think they are getting a deal.  For Free they think they are getting a worthless product.  (insert joke here)

OK. You win.

Stream episode Why Arguing With Fools Is Like Playing Chess With A Pigeon  by Karan Scott Coaching podcast | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

• Upvote 1

For all of the complaining that Men's Hockey hoggs all the revenue and hurts football people should take a hard look at how much Women's Hockey cost the University Athletic Department.  That was a real budget breaker - it that money was give to Football instead problem solved.  I urge everyone to go to Youtube and google Bill Burr on women's sports.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Irish said:

For all of the complaining that Men's Hockey hoggs all the revenue and hurts football people should take a hard look at how much Women's Hockey cost the University Athletic Department.  That was a real budget breaker - it that money was give to Football instead problem solved.  I urge everyone to go to Youtube and google Bill Burr on women's sports.  

Dumb question but wouldn't it have been better/cheaper for the women's team to play at Purpur or any other smaller arena than the REA?  A crowd of 4-5 hundred would have created a decent atmosphere in a smaller arena vs at the Ralph.  The Gofers built Ridder arena for women's hockey so that they could play in a decent/cozier atmosphere for their fans.  UND women's hockey playing at the Ralph is like parking a tricycle in a 4 car garage.

• Upvote 2

In my opinion, women's hockey is holding up women's hockey.  WCHA is by far the best conference and none of the other conferences come close.  When they limited the conference to 2 teams and the 3rd best team in the conference is ranked 4th or 5th and not playing in the national tournament.  You are going to limit the growth of the sport within the WCHA footprint.

In addition, when you run everything through one location (MSP) for conference tournaments and NCAA regional and frozen four.  You are limiting exposure for other locations and schools.  So, if you are NOT UofM or UofW why are you going to make the $2 million plus investment in the sport.  Other Big Ten schools can afford that because of MENs sports in particular football and basketball.  But, schools can not afford that commitment.  Follow the money and womens hockey is expensive.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FSSD said:

In my opinion, women's hockey is holding up women's hockey.  WCHA is by far the best conference and none of the other conferences come close.  When they limited the conference to 2 teams and the 3rd best team in the conference is ranked 4th or 5th and not playing in the national tournament.  You are going to limit the growth of the sport within the WCHA footprint.

In addition, when you run everything through one location (MSP) for conference tournaments and NCAA regional and frozen four.  You are limiting exposure for other locations and schools.  So, if you are NOT UofM or UofW why are you going to make the $2 million plus investment in the sport.  Other Big Ten schools can afford that because of MENs sports in particular football and basketball.  But, schools can not afford that commitment.  Follow the money and womens hockey is expensive.

Doesn't Duluth have women hockeys?

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My opinion has always been women’s ice hockey is not the same great game when checking us not allowed. What makes ice hockey such a great sport is it contains both speed and  physicality.  I love watching women’s basketball nearly as much as men’s basketball but if they did not allow jumping or running in women’s basketball then it would not be the same great game and I would not enjoy watching it.

33 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

D-2 but for hockey it’s D-1.

Exactly, so they have more money available to support women's hockey because they don't have D-1 costs from the other sports.  If you aren't a P5 school, you have to make difficult choices.  Unfortunately, expensive sports with limited revenue makes the sport vulnerable.

High Revenue/ High Cost - you can survive.

High Revenue/ Low Cost - no brainer

Low Revenue / High Cost - vulnerable

Low Revenue / Low Cost - you can survive.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

My opinion has always been women’s ice hockey is not the same great game when checking us not allowed. What makes ice hockey such a great sport is it contains both speed and  physicality.  I love watching women’s basketball nearly as much as men’s basketball but if they did not allow jumping or running in women’s basketball then it would not be the same great game and I would not enjoy watching it.

Maybe if they made the women's hockey pucks smaller than the men's?  

• Upvote 1