SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

Have to give one of them their soap box moment. 

Maybe he should have looked into how it costs $2 million a season. 

if all these people want womens sports to grow and flurish....maybe ask women why they dont go to support them.. it isnt just that men dont go to these events...NOBODY  does...it just isnt interesting to watch for most...me included

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, 1972 said:

if all these people want womens sports to grow and flurish....maybe ask women why they dont go to support them.. it isnt just that men dont go to these events...NOBODY  does...it just isnt interesting to watch for most...me included

Women's sports aren’t fun, because it’s dumbed down. I want to see checking in hockey. I want to see dunks in basketball, and I want to see tackles in football. Flag football? Seriously?

• Upvote 1

How many women’s pro hockey teams are there?

I don’t know of any, maybe because it would be a big time money loser

big 10 can sponsor because of tv deals

und did the right thing, when i see the law suits and other bad press by these women I just tune it out 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 1972 said:

If Women's Hockey allowed checking, I think people would become more interested.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Women's sports aren’t fun, because it’s dumbed down. I want to see checking in hockey. I want to see dunks in basketball, and I want to see tackles in football. Flag football? Seriously?

In the 1990's, UND WBB was way more popular than the MBB team. Without dunking. I do agree with the checking comment.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, petey23 said:

In looking at USA Hockey's numbers from 2018-19 it would appear that about 15% of the registered participants are female and 40% of the Division 1 programs are Women's programs and 44% of the Division 3 programs are Women's programs. One could make the arguement that Women's college hockey is over represented based on the participant level at this point. Assuming 25 players per team would mean that there are about 1550 men playing D1 college hockey and about 1050 womens playing D1 college hockey. Using the USA Hockey registrations this would mean that men have a .003 chance to play D1 hockey and women have a .012 chance to play D1 hockey.

Look at @petey23with the fancy cypherin'!  

What's the bold say? Your chances of playing DI college hockey are 4x better if you are a woman. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

In the 1990's, UND WBB was way more popular than the MBB team. Without dunking. I do agree with the checking comment.

i remember those days....it was some great basketball, and had alot to do with the dominance of the NDSU womens team, at the time.   UND put together a great group of young women to battle the Bison, and it turned into a must see game.  not sure that can ever happen with womens hockey or not...i suspect not

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I realize I'm in the minority, but Men's Basketball is semi unwatchable.  I would much rather watch a game with great ball movement and perimeter shooting than a game full of dunks.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Banner said:

Just think of all the boys who will never get the chance to play baseball at UND. Feel bad for those fathers when they have to explain why UND no longer offers baseball.

Or wrestling

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Look at @petey23with the fancy cypherin'!  

What's the bold say? Your chances of playing DI college hockey are 4x better if you are a woman. 

But still about as good of odds as getting struck by lightening while golfing.

I'll never understand the hate for Women's hockey.  It didn't just start after the program was cut.  I enjoyed watching the Women play.  Like every sport it was not as fast as the Men's game, but you need to take it for what it is.  No one goes to a high school game and complains that the game is slower with less skilled players.  However i do agree that checking needs to be a part of the women's game as it is part of hockey.

UND should have a women's hockey team.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I'll never understand the hate for Women's hockey.  It didn't just start after the program was cut.  I enjoyed watching the Women play.  Like every sport it was not as fast as the Men's game, but you need to take it for what it is.  No one goes to a high school game and complains that the game is slower with less skilled players.  However i do agree that checking needs to be a part of the women's game as it is part of hockey.

Brad, is that you?

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Unfortunately not enough people wanted to watch it.

They had $1 tickets and drew a few hundred people. When there was a men's or women's basketball game on a Satuday afternoon and a women's hockey game Saturday night you could use your ticket stub to get in free and they drew a few hundred people.

I believe UND has given the dollar amount needed to those who would like to see Women's Hockey return. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Sort of what I'm talking about.  How dare someone enjoy watching women's hockey.

i honestly dont care if you , or anyone, enjoys the sport.  i thinkl that is great, actually....i just dont, and a large majority of the population dosent, and no amount of shoving it in our face will make us enjoy it.  not being mean, just stating facts.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I enjoy the women’s game too but I can watch pretty much any level of hockey whether it be boys, girls, men, or women’s. I like big hits in hockey but it’s not a priority. I’d love to see UND get Womens hockey back as I went to quite a few games but I highly doubt it ever will 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Unfortunately not enough people wanted to watch it.

They had $1 tickets and drew a few hundred people. When there was a men's or women's basketball game on a Satuday afternoon and a women's hockey game Saturday night you could use your ticket stub to get in free and they drew a few hundred people.

I believe UND has given the dollar amount needed to those who would like to see Women's Hockey return. 

this is not true.  I went to multiple $1 games and there were about 4-5K there.  Those games felt much different, as there was more of an atmosphere.  

And get it $1 or free tickets is not going to generate enough money to support the program, but flat out lies need to be called out.

• Downvote 1

The article did bring up a good point.  When considering adding womens hockey, or any sport, there are two big things a University must consider. Cost and demand.  Demand is something that is probabl not as important.  I mean, is there a big following for golf and tennis at Universities (mens or womens)across the country?  Not really.  But they don't cost alot to have.  One thing the Lammy Twins and the UND womens hockey aplogists stillfail to answer is how the University gets aroud the enormous cost to run just the 1 program.  "Well, the mesn program can pay for it.".  Yeah cause thats sustainable.  

If the demand for womens hockey at UND or anywhere else that may be looking to add it was even average, you could justify the cost to sustain it.  But it's simply not there.  So UNd and other Universities aren't going to burden their budget for a sport that is a drain on the Athletic Department.

• Upvote 1

From SI in 2017

Newly-appointed University president Mark Kennedy did not offer the opportunity to fundraise the difference to men’s or women’s swimming and diving, or women’s hockey, unlike men’s golf. 

“They need an endowment that’s fully capitalized by June of 2018 at $4.1 million and I think it’s going to be very difficult for them to make that,” Faison said of the men’s golf fundraising efforts. “The question is, do you try and offer that up to other sports? You’d have to do it for men’s and women’s swimming and diving, too, you can’t just do that for other sports. And if you do, what’s that going to be? Clearly, you’re talking about in both cases, some kind of situation that has to be an endowment in the $100 million-plus range.”

You normally run with 4% of an endowment. That'd be $4M (assuming $100M endowment). That sounds like the WIH budget. 

18 minutes ago, Big Green said:

this is not true.  I went to multiple $1 games and there were about 4-5K there.  Those games felt much different, as there was more of an atmosphere.  

And get it $1 or free tickets is not going to generate enough money to support the program, but flat out lies need to be called out.

So there were not games with a few hundred in attendance?

I know they had the Gopher games where they drew about 5800 in 2014 and 3300 in 2015 which were far and away the largest crowds ever for a UND women's hockey game so I don't think they had multiple games with 4-5k in attendance. Minnesota averaged 1815 fans per game in 2013-14, 2394 fans per game in 2014-15, and 2037 fans per game in 2015-16 which led the country. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

I realize I'm in the minority, but Men's Basketball is semi unwatchable.  I would much rather watch a game with great ball movement and perimeter shooting than a game full of dunks.  

I prefer watching women's basketball, but I think alot of that goes back to growing up with those powerhouse teams of the 90s

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

So there were not games with a few hundred in attendance?

I know they had the Gopher games where they drew about 5800 in 2014 and 3300 in 2015 which were far and away the largest crowds ever for a UND women's hockey game so I don't think they had multiple games with 4-5k in attendance. Minnesota averaged 1815 fans per game in 2013-14, 2394 fans per game in 2014-15, and 2037 fans per game in 2015-16 which led the country. 

There were not games where they offered $1 tickets and only got a few Thousand.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Big Green said:

There were not games where they offered $1 tickets and only got a few Thousand.

Anyone with a champions club membership got in free for at least quite a few years.
They still only drew a few hundred or less for most games.

• Upvote 2