SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: North Dakota v. Richmond

bincitysioux

6 hours ago, iSpider said:

I thought your OC called a pretty good game, especially the flea-flicker. As to the reverse or end-around, no one knows what he or others in the press box saw on the field that led him to make that call (If indeed it was his call. Does your QB have authority to audible? Does the HC ever override the OC or make the call? IMO, without that knowledge, he shouldn't be second-guessed.  If you recall, UR lost 6 yards on the first play of the game on the same type of play. Most all year we had thrown a long pass on 1st down to try to stretch the field. It was the wrong call that we made, but I understand the logic. Things don't always go as planned, even when called by experts who are making such decisions.  

As to the blocked punt, I am certain that the UR coaches saw an opening in your punt protection that made them go for the block, either in prior punt protection in this game or in the film they reviewed. We have not attempted to block a punt all season regardless of where the score and time stood. If there is an opening in punt protection, though it is probably discernible by the typical fan, it is probably something simple that can be easily fixed. 

Incidentally, while I am obviously glad that we won, I feel for your loss. I know it must be disappointing to you, especially in view of your lead in the third quarter. That said, as I posted in another thread on this board, I was very impressed with the class, talent and energy of your team and your program. The game could have gone either way. After your first drive for a TD in the third quarterI was ready to throw the TV out the window.  

You have a very bright future and you have many playoff victories ahead of you far more significant this one loss. I doubt that it will be long before you are competitive with NDSU who, like it or not, has been the class of FCS for the last five years.  Good luck to you guys. You have the talent, coaching, and class to go far.  

A Tough loss for us Sioux fans but we lost fair and square. Congratulations to your team and fans and good luck next week

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

The bison highlights on the big board were annoying... Really?

We also couldn't even have our own hype video before the player came out, not a big deal but a little annoying 

What else would you expect them to show? Highlights of the 4th place teams from the last 5 years?

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

why didn't bubba use his last timeout??? all american return man back there....

My first thought was that he was saving the time out so he could ice the kicker... so then I was surprised when he didn't call time out before the ball was snapped for the field goal.

Now my thought is he wanted to have the time out to make Richmond think he was going to ice the kicker and then by not taking the time out, try to throw them off rhythm.

28 minutes ago, 2TRU4U said:

My first thought was that he was saving the time out so he could ice the kicker... so then I was surprised when he didn't call time out before the ball was snapped for the field goal.

Now my thought is he wanted to have the time out to make Richmond think he was going to ice the kicker and then by not taking the time out, try to throw them off rhythm.

They never would have kicked it off to Santiago anyways. You guys are assuming they would do a normal kickoff. Any last resort play would have been a long shot. We needed to make a play before the game winning kick.

Some of our fans need to realize this won't be the last time UND will be in the playoffs. This won't be the last chance especially with a veteran experienced team.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Could not agree more on the first topic and as frustrated as I am with that the roughing the punter...I call bullsh$& on the kid being stripped of his scholarship...idiotic quote 

Here's the response. 

14 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Did NDSU's loss at EWU in 2010 ruin their future prospects? 

I put NDSU's experience at EWU in 2010 as an experience that hardened their resolve going forward. 

I expect this experience to do the same for UND. 

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

The bison highlights on the big board were annoying... Really?

We also couldn't even have our own hype video before the player came out, not a big deal but a little annoying 

As previously stated, the NCAA produced that video. It was shown at every site by rule of the tournament coordinator (the NCAA). 

11 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

... name the exact moment when doubt first crept into your mind that UND could lose after going up 24-7 ... 

The reverse call on 1st and 10 on the UR side of the field when already moving the ball well with dives and off tackle plays on first down.
Instead of having 2nd and 8 it was 2nd and 18. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I am still at a loss for words this morning. Regardless of how !@#!$ I still feel, I am very proud of how far this team has come. 

I'm still going through all the plays that cause more and more momentum to go to Richmonds team.... All we had to do was literally make one more play. Just one.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm still going through all the plays that cause more and more momentum to go to Richmonds team.... All we had to do was literally make one more play. Just one.

I agree.  I think the reason we didn't and Richmond made many plays in the 4th qrt was the playoff experience.  The team will learn much from this loss.  The future is bright.

40 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I agree.  I think the reason we didn't and Richmond made many plays in the 4th qrt was the playoff experience.  The team will learn much from this loss.  The future is bright.

But we don't have road playoff experience yet, and getting another home playoff game is hardly a given when you look at how Portland State and Northern Arizona dropped from year to year.  Those same teams we stunned with miraculous comebacks this year will be ready to even the score next year.  

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Having admitted that there was a moment when doubt crept into my mind ... 

There's our problem. 

We, as a fan base, doubt. When NDSU fans were up 21-0 over San Diego did even a single one of them imagine a scenario where NDSU could lose? 

Yet, up 24-7 we admit we had doubts.

That's a mindset that needs to change ... everywhere: on the sidelines, in the fans.

From now on when UND goes up 24-7 my only question is going to be, "Why the < bleep > isn't it 31-7 yet? Let's go." 

The confidence Bison fans have in their team has been built up over 5 years of last-second victories and championships. They didn't always have that confidence. We will develop that confidence, but it doesn't happen in a vacuum, it has to happen organically. I was feeling pretty good Saturday night.....until that idiotic reverse play call that lost 8 yards and killed what was a very successful run-oriented drive. Then of course, the Bill Buckner-esqe running into the kicker penalty got the ball rolling against us.

Like I have said before: two steps forward, one step back.

Severe depression until my wife said, 'quit being a pussy'.  Reminds me of the Michigan vrs. Ohio St. game some.  Gotta move forward, keep building and fighting.  This is a hard time for the Seniors as their whole lives have revolved around athletics on the field and now that's gone.  Be sure to reach out to these guys if you can.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tnt said:

But we don't have road playoff experience yet, and getting another home playoff game is hardly a given when you look at how Portland State and Northern Arizona dropped from year to year.  Those same teams we stunned with miraculous comebacks this year will be ready to even the score next year.  

We don't play NAU next year and USD will be a battle regardless.  That team will be solid next season but so will we.  

I expect an offseason of player development and a staff looking for "immediate" help where needed or available.