SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: North Dakota v. Richmond

bincitysioux

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

not sure what your asking?

Richmond and UND each had one timeout left and the clock was running down from about 20...Richmond waited and called timeout at 3 seconds (enough not for a return kickoff). A heads up opposing coach calls timeout at 5 or 6 seconds left..the sweet spot where there is time left to get a return kickoff yet not enough time for Richmond to run two plays (the kick was converted on 3rd down).

Outcoached.

• Upvote 2

I can understand not letting them score.  It probably would have been the smarter play, but Bubba is old school and I don't blame him for defending every inch.  But why he didn't use his last timeout to force a kickoff after the go-ahead field goal is a bit of a head scratcher.  

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Richmond and UND each had one timeout left and the clock was running down from about 20...Richmond waited and called timeout at 3 seconds (enough not for a return kickoff). A heads up opposing coach calls timeout at 5 or 6...the sweet spot where there is time left to get a return kickoff yet not enough time for Richmond to run two plays (the kick was converted on 3rd down.)

well put...yes bubba should have played coy and boom timeout with 5 or 6 secs...exactly like you said maybe not enough time for richmond to run two plays but enough for santiago to GO!!!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

since i too busy being threatened by numerous ushers near the end of the game i just realized and read in the heraldo that bubba  decided to hold onto his last timeout for the offseason???  r u kidding...so he decides not to call a timeout with at least nine seconds or so to either make them run another play or leave a couple seconds left for a kickoff when you have an allamerican return man??? really bubba?

I think the world of Bubba, but you have to let them score there.  As soon as they got inside the ten you let them score and have a timeout left and about a minute to try and tie the football game.

Better scenario....Eighteen yard field goal with no time left, or a minute left with one timeout needing a touchdown to tie game?  Our offense wasn't great, but in that situation it's a better option. 

• Upvote 2

I believe UNDhoops posts here and is usually pretty reasonable. Emotions from blowing that lead can get the best of you. 

As far as the game goes, I'm not sure what Rudolph's goal was in the second half, but the play calling made zero sense with the success Brady O was having on the ground. Also, I've heard Kostich is a very good coach, but special teams was a huge liability for the team this season. 

Time to learn from this and take the next step in 2017.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They're close, they're a couple players, a couple plays, a couple experiences away, but they're top 16 close, not top four close and that's what it takes to win championships. 

This is Washington Nationals thinking.  you have to grab for the brass ring because you never know when those chances are going to come.  

this team could easily have been the 97 hockey team.  if they'd won yesterday you head to EWU.  a win there and you are hosting a national semifinal.  not easy but a ring was there for the taking.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AJS said:

It's all situational. The definitely were good enough on the drive you were talking about, the were getting 7 yards running up the middle every single first down. They were in field goal range on first down when the call was made. I agree if running up the middle wasn't working, but it was. 

My point is that if you don't threaten and hopefully have some level of success doing a few different things eventually the opposing team will stop it the one thing you do or are doing well.  

15 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

This is Washington Nationals thinking.  you have to grab for the brass ring because you never know when those chances are going to come.  

this team could easily have been the 97 hockey team.  if they'd won yesterday you head to EWU.  a win there and you are hosting a national semifinal.  not easy but a ring was there for the taking.

Really? The idea that this team will now take a dive and not get another chance at the "brass ring" is pure overreaction. Come on Vindy, I know you and you are smarter than that. The point Sicatoka was making is that Bubba's house isn't finished yet and yesterday was another painful reminder of that fact. Two steps forward; one step back. That is how programs evolve. Did NDSU's loss at EWU in 2010 ruin their future prospects? No, and neither will what happened yesterday ruin our future prospects.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

well put...yes bubba should have played coy and boom timeout with 5 or 6 secs...exactly like you said maybe not enough time for richmond to run two plays but enough for santiago to GO!!!

So Bubba calls timeout at 6 seconds.  Richmond doesn't burn time out.   Holder mishandles snap.  Richmond calls timeout.  Richmond sets up for kick on 4th down.

All the second guessing in the world is going to change the result.

2 minutes ago, planet2county said:

So Bubba calls timeout at 6 seconds.  Richmond doesn't burn time out.   Holder mishandles snap.  Richmond calls timeout.  Richmond sets up for kick on 4th down.

All the second guessing in the world is going to change the result.

call it at 4 or 5...whatever leaves one second on the clock for a kickoff...better than nothing. stupid to take that TO to the offseaon. and yes a kickoff would have changed the game...WE MIGHT HAVE WON! #leavenotimeouts

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

call it at 4 or 5...whatever leaves one second on the clock for a kickoff...better than nothing. stupid to take that TO to the offseaon. and yes a kickoff would have changed the game...WE MIGHT HAVE WON! #leavenotimeouts

No second guessing needed. We know if bubba calls timeout at 4 or 5 seconds. UND would have had a kickoff return attempt and likely something they have practiced before.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Are you sure the clock doesn't automatically stop after a made kick?

yes assuming so...probably takes about 3 secs for that kick..one on the snap, one on the kick, and one to cover the distance...if there was 4 seconds on the clock we probably would have had a kickoff

heck even taek the to to ice the kicker and let those north endzone people work that little guy over before that kick...anything could happen.

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yes assuming so...probably takes about 3 secs for that kick..one on the snap, one on the kick, and one to cover the distance...if there was 4 seconds on the clock we probably would have had a kickoff

heck even taek the to to ice the kicker and let those north endzone people work that little guy over before that kick...anything could happen.

I thought there was one second left when it hit the net. The refs immediately said the game was over and ran off the field.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I thought there was one second left when it hit the net. The refs immediately said the game was over and ran off the field.

they also missed a couple delay of game penaltys so i didn't surprise me that they didn't notice that...but if bubba would have taken the to one second before them we would have had a kickoff...

49 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Really? The idea that this team will now take a dive and not get another chance at the "brass ring" is pure overreaction. Come on Vindy, I know you and you are smarter than that. The point Sicatoka was making is that Bubba's house isn't finished yet and yesterday was another painful reminder of that fact. Two steps forward; one step back. That is how programs evolve. Did NDSU's loss at EWU in 2010 ruin their future prospects? No, and neither will what happened yesterday ruin our future prospects.

My point is play for now not the future.  was this the best team in America? no, but things had lined up that an unlikely deep run was certainly possible.

I'd like to think this progran has turned the corner, but I'd be lying if i said the lack of recruiting focus on QB doesnt concern me.  Next year could be great, but what if Studsrud gets hurt. Heidlebaugh got almost no meaningful playing time so we are playing with  fire there.

Thats why this loss was so painful.  we seemed to have a lot of mojo and the draw was favorable.  But I'll be pulling for them next year just the same. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I thought the same. That ball hit ghe net with a second left.  Whistle shiukd have blown...kick off should have happened.

i know.  Pretty long shot to run it back, but it's better than no shot.

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

think alerus center people could have come up with a real noise meter and showed it on the screen??? not a chance.

NCAA ran pretty much everything on the LED boards.  Alerus just had announcer and music, i think.

NCAA had a lot of their own pre-packaged video.  Some other (no beer) rules as well.

I understand the decision not to let them score at the end.  Based on how this season went, the defense is far more likely to make a big play with a few seconds left than is the offense.  

If a final kickoff is forced, there is no way Richmond lets Santiago get his hands on it.

The defense has won games for us already this season, they were rolling the dice that they could do it again, just didn't work out this time.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, homer said:

Missed opportunity with the students??  

What more do they need to understand how important they are?  $1000's of dollars were donated by fans like us to get them to the game.  Do they need rides next year too?  

I thought the students were great and based off Richmond's players and coaches reactions after the win, both groups making a point to come back and talk smack to the student sections, I'd say the students had plenty of fun during the game.  

They sure did for the first time in many, many years.  A win and having the season continue would have gone a long way toward sustaining that for the future.  We gained a lot with that game but we would have made more strides if football had stayed in the news with a long playoff run.  Just a missed opportunity in my opinion. My son and his friends are on board. I was talking about the students who are fringe fans.

It has nothing to do with donated tickets or rides to the game.  I donated tickets myself and hosted a bunch of students at our tailgate party and we all had a great time but most of them have been there all year.  We did rope in 2 or 3 that hadn't been there for many games