SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: North Dakota v. Richmond

bincitysioux

15 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

A lot of people want to downplay the significance of that play. I cannot, and here is the clincher: before Richmond scored to make it 24-14, before the defensive lapses, before the punt block, name the exact moment when doubt first crept into your mind that UND could lose after going up 24-7 and basically having their way.

I guarantee that it crept into the players' minds, too.

I was numb for the next several moments...the big pass completion and ensuing TD are a blur, frankly, because I was still REACTING to and processing what I had seen but could not believe. The punt pressure defied - and still defies - reason. Interesting to see on here now that it was not called by the coaches; that is some measure of relief. I can forgive the kids.

Avoid the foul, take the fair catch, run some clock, and eliminate that doubt? We're having a different conversation. 

I really have a hard time with the punt rush call as well...Game in hand and we have them pinned at their 15 yd line and we are going to get good field position again because their punter was really piss poor.  I throw the blame on Special Teams coach for not prepping the kids for the right mentality at this point in the game.  Why risk a penalty when you have good field position????

Yesterday I completely avoided coming to this site because I was sort of in a state of disbelief of what actually happened. Life goes on and today I feel for these young men who have gutted it out during good and bad times. The game was full of miscues that we could not overcome but I am proud of how far they have come as a team. Not to long ago we had a collection of individuals that called themselves a "team." We now have a true team that has bought into everything and sometimes things just don't go your way and it sucks but I am holding out hope that this young team uses this experience as a motivator.

I am also holding out hope that the coaches make some solid off season personnel additions because we seem to be just a bit short on only a few positions. I truly feel we are close and I believe these guys will continue to be hungry this off season. Keep the faith boys and thank you Seniors!

• Upvote 2

"Well, it probably bothers other people more than it bothers me," said the Hall of Fame coach. "To survive in this business, you can't have a backwards look. You lose a game and then you have to move to the next one. You can't look back and say we could have, would have, should have. When it's over, it's over."

My take on the game is pretty simple...

We pretty much owned the line on offense and could have dictated the entire game with just straightforward running by Olivera or Norberg.  We go up by 17 points at the start of the third quarter and the OC decides to add more passing to the play calling and we basically shoot ourselves in the foot by not taking advantage of our line advantage on the run and the rest starts to melt down from there.  I put a lot on the coaches shoulders as they know none of the players have playoff experience at this level and they needed to be those communicators and leaders on the sideline for the team...Making sure the players are ready and making sure they know what the team needs in a specific situation.  Interestingly, Richmond in my mind was not the better team all around and you saw it on the run plays for the Sioux.  Rather, the better team didn't execute the plan that has won them game after game this year and that's Run the Goddamn Ball to set up the passing plays!!!  It was so extremely frustrating watching us try to use trick plays when the Moose could have been running for 3-5 yds at each attempt.  I'm still trying to come to grips with the OC play calling when you have ~9 mins left in the third and you are actually trying to make long passes beyond 15 yds...every time its incomplete, the clock stops and you breath life into Richmond.

It's all spilled milk know, but hopefully we learn a ton from this disappointing game...

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, tnt said:

But we don't have road playoff experience yet, and getting another home playoff game is hardly a given when you look at how Portland State and Northern Arizona dropped from year to year.  Those same teams we stunned with miraculous comebacks this year will be ready to even the score next year.  

Leave no doubt. We'll go on the road and beat them again.

Like others have mentioned, it is time UND develop a positive, confident attitude that allows them to "leave no doubt" every season, not just this one.

Based on what the 2015 FCS playoff snub did for the 2016 team, I would expect this 2016 playoff heart-breaker to do tremendous things for the goals of the 2017 UND team. The amount of players returning for 2017 only strengthens that argument, in my opinion.

It hasn't even been 48 hours since that horrible collapse vs. Richmond, but I am already excited for UND football to get back on the field and prove themselves. They have much, much more to accomplish and I expect Bubba and his team to have that same attitude. This program is close -- Grand Forks and the region need to continue to get behind this UND football program that is on the doorstep of big-time things. 

51 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

I really have a hard time with the punt rush call as well...Game in hand and we have them pinned at their 15 yd line and we are going to get good field position again because their punter was really piss poor.  I throw the blame on Special Teams coach for not prepping the kids for the right mentality at this point in the game.  Why risk a penalty when you have good field position????

Overall their punter was so crappy I'd rather just put 3 guys back to fair catch a 25 yard punt than risk the ball hitting the ground and rolling.  Why do we need a block when the net punt is so minimal anyway, bad risk/reward model.

This is the kind of loss that can continue to beat you if you let it.  Doubt your ability to hold a lead, your ability to defend your home playoff field, giving up explosive plays.

How this team starts the 2017 schedule will be critical to burying some demons.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

This is the kind of loss that can continue to beat you if you let it.  Doubt your ability to hold a lead, your ability to defend your home playoff field, giving up explosive plays.

How this team starts the 2017 schedule will be critical to burying some demons.

We thought we'd start out 2016 with an edge due to the previous years playoff snub and the #LeaveNoDoubt mantra.....but we came out of the gate pretty poorly.  I sure hope it's a much better start next year.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The reverse call on 1st and 10 on the UR side of the field when already moving the ball well with dives and off tackle plays on first down.
Instead of having 2nd and 8 it was 2nd and 18. 

me too...darrell bevell and rudy should have lunch sometime and ask each other" what were you thinking?"

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

We thought we'd start out 2016 with an edge due to the previous years playoff snub and the #LeaveNoDoubt mantra.....but we came out of the gate pretty poorly.  I sure hope it's a much better start next year.

No room for that next year.  The psychology of this game ending plus the 2017 schedule won't leave room for slow starts.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

No room for that next year.  The psychology of this game ending plus the 2017 schedule won't leave room for slow starts.

2017 team needs to develop a killer instinct that allows them to run away from teams on the scoreboard. No more "squeaking a game out" when the opposing team is far inferior. Same goes for slow starts. A win is a win but if you constantly breed "nip and tuck" games they will eventually bite you in the a**. Fortunately, UND started off fast vs Richmond but they didn't get that 4th touchdown that probably would've sealed the win, despite a tremendous opportunity to do so. 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

2017 team needs to develop a killer instinct that allows them to run away from teams on the scoreboard. No more "squeaking a game out" when the opposing team is far inferior. Same goes for slow starts. A win is a win but if you constantly breed "nip and tuck" games they will eventually bite you in the a**. Fortunately, UND started off fast vs Richmond but they didn't get that 4th touchdown that probably would've sealed the win, despite a tremendous opportunity to do so. 

Totally agree with you there, mentality next year needs to be that we need to dominate any team that is average or below average and win by 3 scores. 

2 hours ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

My take on the game is pretty simple...

We pretty much owned the line on offense and could have dictated the entire game with just straightforward running by Olivera or Norberg.  We go up by 17 points at the start of the third quarter and the OC decides to add more passing to the play calling and we basically shoot ourselves in the foot by not taking advantage of our line advantage on the run and the rest starts to melt down from there.  I put a lot on the coaches shoulders as they know none of the players have playoff experience at this level and they needed to be those communicators and leaders on the sideline for the team...Making sure the players are ready and making sure they know what the team needs in a specific situation.  Interestingly, Richmond in my mind was not the better team all around and you saw it on the run plays for the Sioux.  Rather, the better team didn't execute the plan that has won them game after game this year and that's Run the Goddamn Ball to set up the passing plays!!!  It was so extremely frustrating watching us try to use trick plays when the Moose could have been running for 3-5 yds at each attempt.  I'm still trying to come to grips with the OC play calling when you have ~9 mins left in the third and you are actually trying to make long passes beyond 15 yds...every time its incomplete, the clock stops and you breath life into Richmond.

It's all spilled milk know, but hopefully we learn a ton from this disappointing game...

I'm still burning over this one - no matter how you slice it, when you do this in a playoff game at any level it is a massive choke.  Sorry to say this on this forum but it is true.  Look, Bubba has done a spectacular job building this program - far exceeded expectations so far.  However, program building and game coaching are two different things.  That's why Nick Sabin brought in Lane Kiffin to coach the Alabama offense.  In my opinion, this defeat is squarely on the coaches.  Among the problems - we lost a game earlier this year to a blocked punt - there is absolutely no way anyone should go through untouched in a playoff game.  Running into the punter - the idiot who did that should have much more game and situation awareness - this should have been emphasized on the sidelines (hell, if we had put the ball boy in for him on this play we would have won the game).  Defensive coverage - isn't there anyone on the sideline who can count the number of receivers split to one side and make sure we have enough guys to cover - I haven't seen this happen since the Sioux Falls Game.  And finally (and most frustrating to me) - we have an O coordinator whose reputation is to try pound the ball no matter how many in the box we are against - he seemed very happy to go 2nd and 9, 3rd and 7 series after series.  Now we are successful pounding the ball and need to run some time off and he double reverses and chucks the pigskin?????????

One complaint in this thread about the play calling was that we passed the ball with 9 minutes left when we should have run the ball; now it's we run the ball too much.

Look, it's easy for a scapegoat here and he's been it. RD17 says it best.