SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: North Dakota v. Richmond

bincitysioux

52 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

10 drops yesterday. 10. Some contested but all very catchable. 10. That's your ball game.

Missed field goal. That's your ball game.

zero defensive turnovers. That's your ball game.

we just couldn't catch a break once they go the momentum. This would have hurt more if we were expected to win it all. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Cratter said:

When it's fourth and 4 on the opposing 35 yard line. I'd like to see UND go for it. Instead of punting it. Could have been a huge momentum shift.

Did UND go for it on fourth down once?

totally agree ...telling my brother that on that third down play...run it knowing that if you don't lose yards you go for it on 4th...totally agreed that is should have been a possibility to go for it...

• Upvote 1

C'mon...kid played hard and made a mistake. This program does not punish him for that.

We are not losing the game IF we have a few catches and/or better passes in the 4th to sustain drives. It was execution not play calls and I agree that some were weird.

• Upvote 2

Based on where this team was when Bubba got here you can count this season as a success overall. That being said, I think they dropped the ball a little bit being the first D1 playoff at home. A win would have helped to generate even more buzz in the community about football. We have good guys in place and a lot of guys coming back so we should be fine moving forward and I'm already excited about next year.

• Upvote 2

Three problem plays:

Defense: the blown coverage for the long 1st quarter TD pass
Offense: calling a reverse that goes for -8 in UR territory (the dive was working; stay with it)
Special Teams: Not calling "safe" or "make him punt it" or whatever -- just force the kick; don't touch the punter

Everything happens for a reason. This team was supposed to learn something from this game that will be invaluable to them in the future.

They're close, they're a couple players, a couple plays, a couple experiences away, but they're top 16 close, not top four close and that's what it takes to win championships. 

• Upvote 1

The one thing that really stood out to me in the 2nd half on defense was the way that the outside rushers were continuously pushed upfield, leaving big holes between the Tackles/Guards.  Richmond either took advantage by rushing to those holes or giving the QB clean sightlines.  I feel like there wasn't enough emphasis on keeping the lanes clogged, but instead the edge rushers were trying to go outside to get to the QB every time.  

since i too busy being threatened by numerous ushers near the end of the game i just realized and read in the heraldo that bubba  decided to hold onto his last timeout for the offseason???  r u kidding...so he decides not to call a timeout with at least nine seconds or so to either make them run another play or leave a couple seconds left for a kickoff when you have an allamerican return man??? really bubba?

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

since i too busy being threatened by numerous ushers near the end of the game i just realized and read in the heraldo that bubba  decided to hold onto his last timeout for the offseason???  r u kidding...so he decides not to call a timeout with at least nine seconds or so to either make them run another play or leave a couple seconds left for a kickoff when you have an allamerican return man??? really bubba?

Watching the replay on espn 3 today. It looked like a second left was on the clock when the ball went through the uprights. 

Bubba conceded defeat pretty easily.

5 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I bet if that double reverse gained 15 yards that would be considered a great call.  If the flea flicker would have resulted in a 9 yard sack, it would have been a horrible call.

It was different than the flea flicker for two main reasons - First, the flea flicker was in the first half when the score was tied.  The double reverse was late in the 3rd quarter with a commanding lead at a point in time when they were moving the ball and eating up the clock relatively well.  Second, the double reverse sent Studsrud out around the edge into the field to block.  I remember at the time I was thinking that if we lost Studsrud, we'd have no chance against EWU (at the time, the thought of losing didn't seem possible).  Just a boneheaded call all around.

it's not that you should never try trick plays, but just know the situation.  There was absolutely no reason to do it at that point.    

Also, as someone pointed out, UND was close to field goal range at the time.  3 more points there really puts a dagger in them.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, homer said:

Sitting behind Richnonds bench that play gave them life.  The long pass shortly after gave them energy and momentum.  I get what your saying but a three and out there would have absolutely crushed them.  Game of emotion

I noticed the exact same thing.  Richmond was down and dejected coming off the field.  After that, they got new life.  You could see the bounce get back in their step.  There was a multitude of reasons whey they lost that game, but this was more than a simple 5 yard penalty.  The running into the punter started it all.  It's kind of like the Buckner or Bartman plays.  There were other reasons why those teams lost, but those are the plays everyone will remember.  I feel like this game will be remembered as the running into the kicker game.  

• Upvote 2