SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: North Dakota v. Richmond

bincitysioux

This game is tough to get over. A missed opportunity for UND football. The program obviously needs to move on and get ready for a big 2017.

One last depressing note that to my knowledge hasn't been mentioned yet: if UND would've beat Richmond and then beat Eastern Washington, UND would've hosted the semi-finals at the Alerus Center ...

wow, what could've been ...

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This game is tough to get over. A missed opportunity for UND football. The program obviously needs to move on and get ready for a big 2017.

One last depressing note that to my knowledge hasn't been mentioned yet: if UND would've beat Richmond and then beat Eastern Washington, UND would've hosted the semi-finals at the Alerus Center ...

I have been trying not to think about that.  Thanks for bringing it up :(

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with you, but the long-term prognosis is UP, UP, UP.

Try to focus on that.

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

"So coach, are you going to can two of your three coordinators after having the most successful season at UND in 10 years?"

Definitely not -

I would offer this advice.  Rudy - Trust your eyes, would of liked to see us stick with The Manitoba Moose and Norberg up the gut.  I would of ran the same runs up the middle until Richmond stopped it.  I felt we were demoralizing them.

Schmitty - sometimes you have to accept the offense has a guy we can't cover 1 on 1.  We could of flipped corners to try Harris on their stud.  Or, the corner coverage could have played up man-to-man on the inside bump and run (dog technique) with safety over top.  (like on a 3rd down when Richmond targeted him)  Point is, play to their stud in critical situations.

Very nit picky critiques and very arm-chair so.......for what it's worth. (not much while I sit at my desk)

• Upvote 4

I would think it would be a fair question for a reporter to ask if Bubba plans on making a change in special teams next year, or making it more of a priority since special teams had a direct impact on two thirds of our losses.   Actually I kind of think it's bad reporting if somebody doesn't ask him that.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

are u okay with kostitch coming back next after everything you saw this year?

Running into the punter was not his fault. He didn't call for a block. Blocked punts were a result of a guy whiffing. Special teams weren't great but how do you know that's on the coach? He can't make Taubenheim make a kick over 40 yards or be able to hit a deep kickoff.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Running into the punter was not his fault. He didn't call for a block. Blocked punts were a result of a guy whiffing. Special teams weren't great but how do you know that's on the coach? He can't make Taubenheim make a kick over 40 yards or be able to hit a deep kickoff.

Exactly 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Question, when Punt Safe is called I know that obviously means that you don't line everybody up on the line and all go after the ball, some guys hang back to watch for the fake.  On Punt Safe are the main interior 3-4 guys still suppose to go pretty hard at the ball/punter because the others are watching for the fake, or are they suppose to go 3/4 speed and pull up short and not really even try.  And it's an honest question, because I don't really know for sure on that what is typical.

11 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Question, when Punt Safe is called I know that obviously means that you don't line everybody up on the line and all go after the ball, some guys hang back to watch for the fake.  On Punt Safe are the main interior 3-4 guys still suppose to go pretty hard at the ball/punter because the others are watching for the fake, or are they suppose to go 3/4 speed and pull up short and not really even try.  And it's an honest question, because I don't really know for sure on that what is typical.

You still send 3-4 guys to pressure the punter.  I've never heard of pressuring at 3/4 speed.  What if the punter drops the ball and we have 4 guys giving 75% effort and the punter picks the ball up and punts it away??  That's why they still give 100%, in case of a bad snap we have guys there.  But, this is what they are told, "make sure you are 100% certain you are going to block the punt before you run the risk of touching the punter"  The player made a mistake.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

You still send 3-4 guys to pressure the punter.  I've never heard of pressuring at 3/4 speed.  What if the punter drops the ball and we have 4 guys giving 75% effort and the punter picks the ball up and punts it away??  That's why they still give 100%, in case of a bad snap we have guys there.  But, this is what they are told, "make sure you are 100% certain you are going to block the punt before you run the risk of touching the punter"  The player made a mistake.

Yup. Wilson's level of effort hurt him there but in general it is his greatest asset. Kid has a motor.

15 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I've never heard of pressuring at 3/4 speed.  

Perhaps this should be something that should be invented (but slightly different).  Go 100% but only go 3/4 of the way (unless you see the punter dropped the ball or something).  Call it Double Punt Safe or something so as to have no real possibility of somebody accidently running into the punter.  If I was coaching I think I would have a Double Punt Safe call in the playbook for certain situations :) 

10 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Perhaps this should be something that should be invented (but slightly different).  Go 100% but only go 3/4 of the way (unless you see the punter dropped the ball or something).  Call it Double Punt Safe or something so as to have no real possibility of somebody accidently running into the punter.  If I was coaching I think I would have a Double Punt Safe call in the playbook for certain situations :) 

Maybe triple punt safe with a 10 yard bubble around the punter......

I know, it was a very frustrating play.