SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting hawks vs spiders

Longtime fan

50 minutes ago, iSpider said:

You guys seem exceptionally excited about this contest. I've counted every bit of 4 posts in the last 2 days on this board. Is there another board where you guys discuss your football games? If so, please provide me with a link so that I can find out what your fans are thinking about the game.

If I am mistaken and this is your major football message board, it appears that you think your win this Saturday is a given and are not wasting your time in discussing an obvious fait accompli. I get that. I do. But a few Spiders feel a little differently. Some of them actually believe that there is an outside chance that we could win. Given, our chance of such an upset would be of such a stupendous nature that it would undoubted warrant a special section of ESPN's Sports Center. Nevertheless, such incredible upsets have occurred in other events throughout history. One may have to go back a hundred years or more to find an upset of the same proportion as that of us beating you this Saturday, but upsets of such enormity have occurred throughout history, even though on very rare and in few and far between occasions. We know that any chance of our upsetting you is extremely remote. Every player and coach on our team is painfully aware of the almost certain outcome of the game., i.e., an overwhelming and devastating beatdown by the Fighting Hawks, and we appreciate the extreme prowess and ferocity of your team. In truth, it sort of scares us a tad. We have already lost many of our major football participants to injuries this year and though a loss will end our season, we do not want to walk away with several more. Next thing you know the NCAA will be investigating the standards of our school and coaches because of the inordinate number of injuries and try to discover whether they are based upon the type of player we recruit or the regimen we put them through once on the team. More importantly, however, is the fact that our players are important to us and we are afraid that the thrashing you obviously expect to inflict upon us may result in an extremely large and unaccountable number of additional injuries. But that is not your concern, and we have already addressed the potential of such an occurrence by counseling our players how to handle situations when an imminent hit by one of your bruisers is about to occur.  I cannot provide you with the particulars, that would be unethical, but I do not want you to be surprised or appear bewildered when our players ostensibly fall down untouched in their own backfield or when our receivers miss passes perfectly thrown right into their hands. Enough said. You know they will receive pre-game counseling about injuries. Let your imagination take it from there. 

Yet, as much as a part of me cries out in denial, we remain creatures susceptible to human failings and we all know that hope springs eternal, especially by some on our board, and they continue to engage in discussions and interchanges about the possibility, however remote, of our upending the Fighting Hawks. I know. I know. What a preposterous dream. At times, my reason kicks in and I wholeheartedly agree. How utterly arrogant and disrespectful of us. Like I said, I know.  Yet despite this knowledge, from time to time human nature overtakes my reason and the dream appears again. I will admit, as we approach game day, the dream appears with less frequency and intensity. So I should be ok despite the annihilation of our team on Saturday by the Fighting Hawks. 

But I have strayed off track.  To my original point, on our football board, there have been well over 200 posts on ten different but related topics relating to this game in just the last 3 days.  In fact, there has been 10 times more discussion about the game on our board between one of your posters and an NDSU troll in the last 2 days than in the last 4 days on this board.  You are a public institution of around 15,000 students with a proud football tradition, albeit in large part in Div. II.  Still, no small accomplishment.  You have a wonderful stadium of which you are rightfully proud. We are a small liberal arts school, privately funded, with an undergraduate student population of less than 3,000. We are also on the road half way across the country. Yet the discussion on our board is not letting up.  So I know that something is amiss. I am looking for the inevitable lively discussion which takes place this time of year about an upcoming playoff game. 

Like I said above, I strongly suspect it may be that I am on the wrong board. If that is the case, would someone please provide me with a link to the message board which is engaged in a discussion regarding the upcoming FCS playoff game between you guys and us Spiders?  If so, I will be forever in your debt.  

Thanks.   

Thanks for making my ADHD worse.... Oh and I tried talking football on your board but the coaching situation is the only thing anyone is talking about. Does that mean the Spiders are overlooking UND? Please, the line 1.5 for a reason. There will be no blowout.

12 minutes ago, iSpider said:

Just trying to stir up some interest in the game. It never occurred to me to look at the Attendance Board.

Not really making fun. Not in the least. Mere playful banter. Repartee, if you will. 

Not to worry, I have seen the NDSU trolls attacking your program on our board. I come playfully, but with a sense of sarcasm intended as humor. The NDSU guys on our board are like a group of Piranha. I am nothing like that.

I view my posts as typical playful banter and expect the same in return. Nothing like a good exchange of well-meaning rapier wit by fans of opposing schools to enliven the anticipation of a good football game. It's the aqua vitae of sports message boards. 

I respect your program and will cheer for you all the way to the NC should you beat us. 

Am I supposted to read your posts with a British accent? 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, iSpider said:

Just trying to stir up some interest in the game. It never occurred to me to look at the Attendance Board.

Not really making fun. Not in the least. Mere playful banter. Repartee, if you will. 

Not to worry, I have seen the NDSU trolls attacking your program on our board. I come playfully, but with a sense of sarcasm intended as humor. The NDSU guys on our board are like a group of Piranha. I am nothing like that.

I view my posts as typical playful banter and expect the same in return. Nothing like a good exchange of well-meaning rapier wit by fans of opposing schools to enliven the anticipation of a good football game. It's the aqua vitae of sports message boards. 

I respect your program and will cheer for you all the way to the NC should you beat us. 

I think most all of us on here respect Richmond and your program.  I think it's a pretty evenly matched game and will be close, as I think many on our side do.  In my opinion any time a game is evenly matched, the fan base on both sides think if they play well they will win......which should be there mentality...who the heck wants to go into a game thinking you are going to lose.  In reading your board it seem many over there think you guys will win, which you should think that.......just like we think we'll win if we play well.  We haven't played a game in 21 days so we are of course a little worried about being rusty, but with all the injuries it was welcomed.  You guys obviously know all about injuries this year....even more than us.  We are extremely excited about this game and looking forward to the opportunity to win this game and get a little respect, there are a lot of fan bases that don't respect us yet.....which I get because we haven't won a playoff game yet.  We all expected to make the playoffs this year, but probably not get a seed....so getting a seed is probably a year ahead of schedule or what we would have thought.   If we start out slow we may start to feel the pressure....hope not. 

1 hour ago, iSpider said:

You guys seem exceptionally excited about this contest. I've counted every bit of 4 posts in the last 2 days on this board. Is there another board where you guys discuss your football games? If so, please provide me with a link so that I can find out what your fans are thinking about the game.

If I am mistaken and this is your major football message board, it appears that you think your win this Saturday is a given and are not wasting your time in discussing an obvious fait accompli. I get that. I do. But a few Spiders feel a little differently. Some of them actually believe that there is an outside chance that we could win. Given, our chance of such an upset would be of such a stupendous nature that it would undoubted warrant a special section of ESPN's Sports Center. Nevertheless, such incredible upsets have occurred in other events throughout history. One may have to go back a hundred years or more to find an upset of the same proportion as that of us beating you this Saturday, but upsets of such enormity have occurred throughout history, even though on very rare and in few and far between occasions. We know that any chance of our upsetting you is extremely remote. Every player and coach on our team is painfully aware of the almost certain outcome of the game., i.e., an overwhelming and devastating beatdown by the Fighting Hawks, and we appreciate the extreme prowess and ferocity of your team. In truth, it sort of scares us a tad. We have already lost many of our major football participants to injuries this year and though a loss will end our season, we do not want to walk away with several more. Next thing you know the NCAA will be investigating the standards of our school and coaches because of the inordinate number of injuries and try to discover whether they are based upon the type of player we recruit or the regimen we put them through once on the team. More importantly, however, is the fact that our players are important to us and we are afraid that the thrashing you obviously expect to inflict upon us may result in an extremely large and unaccountable number of additional injuries. But that is not your concern, and we have already addressed the potential of such an occurrence by counseling our players how to handle situations when an imminent hit by one of your bruisers is about to occur.  I cannot provide you with the particulars, that would be unethical, but I do not want you to be surprised or appear bewildered when our players ostensibly fall down untouched in their own backfield or when our receivers miss passes perfectly thrown right into their hands. Enough said. You know they will receive pre-game counseling about injuries. Let your imagination take it from there. 

Yet, as much as a part of me cries out in denial, we remain creatures susceptible to human failings and we all know that hope springs eternal, especially by some on our board, and they continue to engage in discussions and interchanges about the possibility, however remote, of our upending the Fighting Hawks. I know. I know. What a preposterous dream. At times, my reason kicks in and I wholeheartedly agree. How utterly arrogant and disrespectful of us. Like I said, I know.  Yet despite this knowledge, from time to time human nature overtakes my reason and the dream appears again. I will admit, as we approach game day, the dream appears with less frequency and intensity. So I should be ok despite the annihilation of our team on Saturday by the Fighting Hawks. 

But I have strayed off track.  To my original point, on our football board, there have been well over 200 posts on ten different but related topics relating to this game in just the last 3 days.  In fact, there has been 10 times more discussion about the game on our board between one of your posters and an NDSU troll in the last 2 days than in the last 4 days on this board.  You are a public institution of around 15,000 students with a proud football tradition, albeit in large part in Div. II.  Still, no small accomplishment.  You have a wonderful stadium of which you are rightfully proud. We are a small liberal arts school, privately funded, with an undergraduate student population of less than 3,000. We are also on the road half way across the country. Yet the discussion on our board is not letting up.  So I know that something is amiss. I am looking for the inevitable lively discussion which takes place this time of year about an upcoming playoff game. 

Like I said above, I strongly suspect it may be that I am on the wrong board. If that is the case, would someone please provide me with a link to the message board which is engaged in a discussion regarding the upcoming FCS playoff game between you guys and us Spiders?  If so, I will be forever in your debt.  

Thanks.   

Solid sandbag effort, we could've used you in 97. Game should be close. As others have said, concerns regarding attendance have kind of taken over here, as coaching concerns have taken over the Spiders board. Most of us don't know a whole lot about the Spiders beyond they're a very good team with injury issues, so we don't have a lot of knowledgeable things to say. I think we're all nervously (quietly) awaiting the game and hoping we have something to celebrate Saturday night. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, iSpider said:

Like I said above, I strongly suspect it may be that I am on the wrong board.

Thanks.   

Yes you are on the wrong board.  Bye. :)

Your board had a lot of posts last year before the Spiders came to ND.

That did not go too well now did it?

6 hours ago, iSpider said:

Overall: 8 - 11, Conference: 6 - 2  - We came in second in the A10 behind UMass.                                                                                                                                                           Spiders Drop Heartbreaker to UMass in semi-finals

How was your Fencing Team? 

Ole and Sven are out fencing the back 40 right now after the last snowstorm.  They are not using barbed wire.  Instead putting up electric fence so some advice (don't piss on it) cause we are using UAV(drone) surveillance to get some laughed.:lol:

• Upvote 4

iSpider. Enjoy your banter.  We are excited to be in the playoffs for the first time.  This a 50/50 game most would agree.  Spiders have playoff experience, Hawks playing at home.  This game could come down to the last play or a blow out.  Think turnovers or blown coverage and the men in the trenches.  that will decide this game.

7 hours ago, iSpider said:

Thanks.   

that was cute 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I attribute the light discussion in this tread on the holidays, the focus on attendance discussion, our Scandinavian culture which does not lend itself to boastfulness or a need to share. Plus we have great coverage in our local paper and a football blog that aren't visible to outsiders. Here are my thoughts (Norwegian culture hesitation aside):

We are healthy - which all season we have not been but we still won 9 straight

We are a blocked punt and missed two-point conversion from 11-0.

I highly doubt that Richmond has faced a defense the likes of UND. Even when we don't get the sacks it's very disruptive to the quarterback. 

Two running backs that are all conference - both have proven they are able to rip on the big run. 

We don't like to be overconfident publicly (we are also Minnesota Vikings fans) but secretly we can't wait for your quarterback to face our defense and our atmosphere. 

All season we had a tendency to keep games close but don't misconstrue that with not being in control of a game. 

Those games that we weren't in control of we still found a way to win. 

We have been quite successful at adjusting at halftime you can find stats about that on this site. 

Gonna stop here because most of us don't like reading disertations on a fan site. 

Welcome to Grand Forks - please walk the tailgating area with your spidey clothes you will be welcomed. 

If I recall, they played a pretty tough Stony Brook defense. Didn't work out too well for the spiders that particular game though.

9 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Am I supposted to read your posts with a British accent? 

First, please tell me what is that strange thing on your head. Is it something required because of the weather in your part of the country?

BTW, thanks for visiting our board. We all appreciate your input. Sorry about the intrusion by the NDSU trolls, but such things are beyond our control. 

7 minutes ago, sprig said:

Wish that 10 page post hadn't been quoted so often. Brutal on a phone. 80" flat panel maybe. 

Best thing I do is get rid of the mobile view on a phone.

At the bottom of the page there is a "Theme" button if one wants to try the other view.

17 minutes ago, iSpider said:

First, please tell me what is that strange thing on your head. Is it something required because of the weather in your part of the country?

BTW, thanks for visiting our board. We all appreciate your input. Sorry about the intrusion by the NDSU trolls, but such things are beyond our control. 

Welcome to our board!  I find your posts refreshing and entertaining.  This game is a toss up and who ever wins the TO battle will probably win.  I would have to give UND the edge only because of the pressure that will be on your talented new qb.  If he has a good game the Spiders will have a good chance at winning, if he is off then there will be trouble.  UND has won 9 in a row because they have forced opposing qbs to make costly mistakes at critical points in the game.  

Regardless, I hope for a good game and that the best team wins!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Spider fan:  We trust Bubba and staff to prep the boys for the X's and O's.  We know what our team has at this point of the season. Message board talk by rubes like us can be fun, but how productive is it?  As fans, we are doing our best to control what we can, which is getting butts in the stands, and reminding them to be loud.  I actually like the fact that the attendance thread has been so busy. We will be missing a good number of fans, thousands perhaps, who went to NYC to watch the hockey team at Madison Square Garden. Unfortunately, some who are 5 minutes from the Alerus will decide to stay home and watch the hockey game on tv. That said, it appears we will fill the seats with other fans, which is a beautiful thing.

Like a very knowledgeable poster on our board stated, anyone with the first name "Bubba" has to be an outstanding coach.  That said, Bubba is a southern name.  Think shrimp and grits. Bubba Gump (LA). Bubba Watson (GA. He's a golfer. Given first name is Gerry). Bubba Clinton (AK. He played the saxophone and served time in political office in DC). Bubba Crosby (TX. Baseball guy). Bubba Sparxxx (FL. Rapper. White guy). Bubba Facenda (VA. Rockabilly star. "Bubba Ditty" was among his best singles). Many more. All southerners. See List of Bubbas, Wiki.

We celebrate National Bubba Day in Richmond. 

Fact: The Richmond Metro Area (1.3 million) has a population almost twice that of the State of North Dakota (739,500)

BTW, I am off today. Because of my background and the loss of several key Richmond players to injuries, I have been asked by Coach Rocco to submit a game plan incorporating non-traditional tactics and an overall strategy. I hope to have the plan completed shortly and will share a summary version with this board so that you can know further what to expect from our team. 

My favorite Bubba:

Image result for Memes of Bubbas

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, iSpider said:

Like a very knowledgeable poster on our board stated, anyone with the first name "Bubba" has to be an outstanding coach.  That said, Bubba is a southern name.  Think shrimp and grits. Bubba Gump (LA). Bubba Watson (GA. He's a golfer. Given first name is Gerry). Bubba Clinton (AK. He played the saxophone and served time in political office in DC). Bubba Crosby (TX. Baseball guy). Bubba Sparxxx (FL. Rapper. White guy). Bubba Facenda (VA. Rockabilly star. "Bubba Ditty" was among his best singles). Many more. All southerners. See List of Bubbas, Wiki.

We celebrate National Bubba Day in Richmond. 

Fact: The Richmond Metro Area (1.3 million) has a population almost twice that of the State of North Dakota (739,500)

BTW, I am off today. Because of my background and the loss of several key Richmond players to injuries, I have been asked by Coach Rocco to submit a game plan incorporating non-traditional tactics and an overall strategy. I hope to have the plan completed shortly and will share a summary version with this board so that you can know further what to expect from our team. 

My favorite Bubba:

Image result for Memes of Bubbas

Did Rocco inform Kevin Johnson's mother about playing against   UND defense.