SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting hawks vs spiders

Longtime fan

37 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

If I recall, they played a pretty tough Stony Brook defense. Didn't work out too well for the spiders that particular game though.

You can't really go by that game. Our defense played way over their heads. 

10 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Sounds like Richmond has forfeited. OK. If there is no game can we buy beer at the alerus being as we all will be there.

I made a few calls once I read your post and found out that the only reason we did not forfeit is because our coach did not realize that forfeiture was an option. I just got off the phone with him and he said that since they were already there, he thought it would be wise to go ahead with the game because the UR President would realize how ignorant he was of the rules and how he needlessly incurred such travel expenses should we forfeit at this point. 

I am not sure whether he was serious, but he also pointed out that our QB who started last week had a bug and was questionable as of today. We may have to go with the guy who played at W&M. Check out that video if you want to see his lack of skill. Our starter was injured just before the half. We were up at the half by a TD, but lost by 24 points and did not score a single point in the 2nd half. I think the QB went 1 for 7 with 2 interceptions. Seriously, check out the box score. One thing I hope you have learned about me by now is that I do not exaggerate. embellish or sugarcoat anything about our team. 

The QB who has the bug and who we were counting on had his first start ever last weekend. He could at least pass the ball, though he is color blind so that understandably hampers his ability to pick out a guy to throw to who is on our team. Should he sufficiently recover, our WRs and TEs will be wearing streamers on their helmets to assist him in identifying them. We have already run this by the NCAA and obtained approval because of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Federal law prohibits prohibiting the use of streamers under these circumstances. BTW, our QB apparently got the bug in Grand Forks? I am loathe to even mention this, but those on the NDSU board insisted that I do. So did any of you guys plant this bug?  Nevermind. I retract that question. It is what it is. Whatever. We can deal with it. But just out of curiosity, what kind of bugs are going around this time of year in Grand Forks?  Hope no one else gets the bug because we may not have 22 players well enough to play, though in truth it shouldn't be a big issue since because of our recent injuries and this bug, 7 of our players will now playing on both sides of the ball. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, iSpider said:

You can't really go by that game. Our defense played way over their heads. 

I made a few calls once I read your post and found out that the only reason we did not forfeit is because our coach did not realize that forfeiture was an option. I just got off the phone with him and he said that since they were already there, he thought it would be wise to go ahead with the game because the UR President would realize how ignorant he was of the rules and how he needlessly incurred such travel expenses should we forfeit at this point. 

I am not sure whether he was serious, but he also pointed out that our QB who started last week had a bug and was questionable as of today. We may have to go with the guy who played at W&M. Check out that video if you want to see his lack of skill. Our starter was injured just before the half. We were up at the half by a TD, but lost by 24 points and did not score a single point in the 2nd half. I think the QB went 1 for 7 with 2 interceptions. Seriously, check out the box score. One thing I hope you have learned about me by now is that I do not exaggerate. embellish or sugarcoat anything about our team. 

The QB who has the bug and who we were counting on had his first start ever last weekend. He could at least pass the ball, though he is color blind so that understandably hampers his ability to pick out a guy to throw to who is on our team. Should he sufficiently recover, our WRs and TEs will be wearing streamers on their helmets to assist him in identifying them. We have already run this by the NCAA and obtained approval because of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Federal law prohibits prohibiting the use of streamers under these circumstances. BTW, our QB apparently got the bug in Grand Forks? I am loathe to even mention this, but those on the NDSU board insisted that I do. So did any of you guys plant this bug?  Nevermind. I retract that question. It is what it is. Whatever. We can deal with it. But just out of curiosity, what kind of bugs are going around this time of year in Grand Forks?  Hope no one else gets the bug because we may not have 22 players well enough to play, though in truth it shouldn't be a big issue since because of our recent injuries and this bug, 7 of our players will now playing on both sides of the ball. 

Fair enough. Its the only common opponent, but it doesn't sound like UND or Richmond played to their potential in that game. Also hard to go off of Richmond's recent performances, with a new QB in place. First road start. I think there are just a lot of unknowns going into this game.

Did I read that right? Johnson is questionable with an illness? That would certainly throw a wrench into the game. Hope the young man recovers though. Don't want to see a kid go out like that, though it happens. Also would suck for him to burn his redshirt for 1 game, and not be able to even compete to keep his playoff chances alive.

Just can't wait to watch the game!

10 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

yes...in a pussy voice yes

I guess so. I am a female now, though born as a male. And my hormone treatment regimen had taken full effect.

What a sexist presumption on your part. I am so upset by your remark that I may cry.  Wait. Wait. Please. Give me a moment. Let me regain my composure.  

Ok. Better now. So what do you have against transgenders?  

27 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Bubba is a North Dakotan through and through.  He is all substance.  

Now, Rocco....did Joe Flacco get to him?  Why would he want to leave to go to Delaware?  Isn't that a lateral move at best?  

You don't want to get me started on the Rocco situation. You think my first post was lengthy?  BTW, we owned the Delaware teams when Flacco was their QB.

Let me just say that Delaware would be a step down...even they don't consider such a move as lateral.  The only thing they might offer that we do not is an expanded recruiting pool because Delaware is a state school and they have fairly relaxed admission standards when it comes to the admission of athletes whereas we are highly selective small liberal arts college and impose much greater academic requirements on the admission of our athletes. The only other CAA team which imposes the same standards as we do is W&M. While I have always been a proponent of lowering our requirements for athletes, the administration has resisted such a move. Nevertheless, we are a very good program and have been able to attract good athletes, admission standards notwithstanding.

Rocco is the second highest paid coach in FCS football. He is treated like royalty.  He deserves it, but he is having some issues with our lacrosse program perceiving that they are being treated with more favor than his program even though they are not a revenue sport and draw meager crowds unless we are playing a top 10 team. Truth is, lacrosse is a fairly new program at UR (3 or 4 years old) and the university (one large donor in particular) is committed to making them nationally prominent.

I believe that the controversy, in large part, has its roots in a fairly recent announcement that our lacrosse program rather than the football program will be occupying new offices overlooking the football field (also our lacrosse field). The offices are part of a planned addition to our football stadium. Coach Rocco's point is probably well taken. While many are speculating that he will be leaving, I am not among that group. Our AD just sent out an email saying that he was working to do everything in his power to retain Coach Rocco. There are other issues as well, but all are remediable.  You are welcome to visit our board for more information. 

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Anybody hear any more updated info on how Stockwell and Stanley are doing?  Sure would be nice to have the OL at full strength. 

I though I read that Stanley would probably play, but not sure about Stockwell. Take that with a grain of salt though, it is all hearsay from my side, and pretty much whatever I have read on here.

I would think Stockwell would give it a go, since he tried to play against NAU. You wouldn't think he would be any worse off now that he was a few weeks ago.

22 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

5dimes line has swung to Richmond -3. I believe it was UND -1.5.

14 minutes ago, homer said:

I wanted to jump on UND to cover the 1.5 but if we are getting 3 at home.  Hard to lay off that.  

Obviously, they are aware of our QB situation.  The line will undoubtedly change again once I release my suggested strategic plan to Coach Rocco. Meanwhile, were I a Fighting Hawks fan, I would be out mortgaging my home to find additional funds to wager. 

5 minutes ago, iSpider said:

Obviously, they are aware of our QB situation.  The line will undoubtedly change again once I release my suggested strategic plan to Coach Rocco. Meanwhile, were I a Fighting Hawks fan, I would be out mortgaging my home to find additional funds to wager. 

I am one of the many in North Dakota that does not have electricity to their homes yet so it's not worth much.  Hoping to upgrade the horse and buggy this year though.  

• Upvote 3

Contrary to what I posted previously with regard to providing you with a summary of my suggested strategic plan, I am short on time and therefore providing a copy of my full memo to Coach Rocco. I am submitting it to him simultaneously. I have not yet been given his approval to proceed, but expect that momentarily. 

MEMORANDUM
Date:    Dec 2, 2016
To:         Coach Rocco
                                                    RE: REVISED AND AMENDED STRATEGIC PLAN FOR INEVITABLE LOSS TO UND

After a much closer review of the injury lists and other reports, here is how I see the game tomorrow and what I recommend:

Sounds like we, much more than they, are beset with injuries resulting in the loss of many of our critical players. We lost two of our first-team all-CAA players to injury in QB Lyle Lauletta and Safety David Jones. Our third all-CAA player is a receiver, and we do not have a QB who can pass to him. Our second string QB was suspended and our third string QB now reportedly has a bug and may not play. The fourth stringer was worse than horrific against W&M. He was 1 for 7 with 2 interceptions. But the miracle is that with his slight frame he did not also suffer a season-ending injury. In that regard, I applaud you in directing him to take a knee on every down after 5 minutes into the third quarter.

We have also lost our starting and back-up running backs, both with torn MCLs. Our DL has lost three starters, possibly four. Our OL is missing three starters and we have also lost two off the two-deep. Five of the players we had to run back punts and kickoffs are out with injury. For sure, this will be a war fought in the trenches. But it will not be on a scale of say China vs. Russia; It will be more similar to the magnitude of Uzbekistan vs. Russia, we being Uzbekistan, who, incidentally, does not have a standing military and  UND being Russia. 

That said, as I stated in our phone conversation a few moments ago, I recommend the institution of a massive psychological attack on the UND fanbase, team, and coaches in a final, desperate hope that it will bring the Spiders within the margin of what might be considered a respectable loss. I volunteer to carry out this mission for the compensation we agreed upon. We all know that our only chance of a respectable loss lies in my ability to harass UND to the point that their psychological frustration overwhelms their ability to concentrate and perform. With your permission, I will initiate this attack immediately. It will be carried out on many fronts, the most important being the UND football message board. 

Inasmuch as I was a drama major in college, and have no prior psychological training, I will need some prep in order to accomplish my goal. Not to worry, however, I am up for the task and will be fully armed once I finish "FCS Football Psychology for Dummies" which was delivered last night from Amazon. I have already completed chapters 1 & 2 so that intermediate measures can begin at once. 

Coach, rest assured that the onslaught is nigh upon UND. Within hours they will begin to experience the impact of my attack. It will begin slowly, almost imperceptibly. But it will metastasize at a rapid pace. They will not be able to sleep tonight. Saturday morning they will not be able to keep down their breakfast. The fans will gag when attempting to drink their tailgate beverages. 

I will leave the rest of the effects of my attack to your imagination.