SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting hawks vs spiders

Longtime fan

SFI says they play 5 dbs mostly and a zone, which is different than UND usually sees. That could help Studs get into a rhythm with intermediate throws to the big possession receivers. Just a few short years ago UND's passing game was plagued by untimely drops. It's really nice to get these big kids in who almost always come down with it, even on marginal throws.

It sounds like the spiders don't give up a ton of pass yards, but even just a few completions seems to give Studs a big boost.

24 minutes ago, mksioux said:

I've never seen Richmond play, so I won't pretend I can add anything meaningful to the discussion. SFI breaks it down though.  http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2016/12/02/fcs-playoff-preview-7-und-fighting-hawks-vs-richmond-spiders/

What concerns me is that if this Kevin Johnson guy had backed up Lauletta when he went down against William & Mary, they probably win that game and get seeded higher than UND.  So the fact that UND is ranked higher doesn't mean anything to me (except the right to play at home).  I'm  just going to go there and hope to see a good game.  

I am not concerned about the ranking because i believe the home game is what matters since we have been off for so long.

3 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

5dimes line has swung to Richmond -3. I believe it was UND -1.5.

I check 5Dimes every week during the season. Usually, I just check to box "college extras" and all FCS games come up. However, all I can get this week are Divs I &II. Which box do you check to get FCS predictions to come up on 5Dimes? Is there another way to access FCS games there other than the way that I mentioned?  How do you do it?

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks. 

26 minutes ago, mksioux said:

I've never seen Richmond play, so I won't pretend I can add anything meaningful to the discussion. SFI breaks it down though.  http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2016/12/02/fcs-playoff-preview-7-und-fighting-hawks-vs-richmond-spiders/

What concerns me is that if this Kevin Johnson guy had backed up Lauletta when he went down against William & Mary, they probably win that game and get seeded higher than UND.  So the fact that UND is ranked higher doesn't mean anything to me (except the right to play at home).  I'm  just going to go there and hope to see a good game.  

Great point, they could very easily be the 7th seed and us the 8th seed.  Their new QB looks dangerous.  We need to play 4 quarters well in order to win this one.  We've really probably only played three good 4 quarter games this year, Poly, Sac St., and Southern Utah.  And even the Poly game we turned the ball over inside the 10 yard line twice which helped keep it to be a close game.  I just hope our OL is able to get some push. 

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Kind of think he is mocking us, describing how impossible it will be for them to beat us.  Then if they lose, he'll be able to point out to all of the injuries they have.  And if they win.....he can sarcastically say.......wow can't believe we actually beat the mighty UND team.  The guys on their board feel they will beat us, however they should feel that way....it's going to be a close game and they should feel like they will win if they play well, just like we feel that way.  However kind of thinking many of the guys on their board don't think a whole lot of UND football.

Nothing could be further from the truth (Well, maybe some things) and I am not a mocker. Never have been and I have been around for a while. Never mocked anyone or any team on any message board.  My posts are intended to be humorous, but certainly not in a mocking way.  And as to protecting myself from ridicule if we lose, you are not even close. Should that occur, I'll be over it in 10 minutes and focusing on basketball. You clearly have misread my messages. I am not mocking, not being condescending, nothing of that nature whatsoever. I am just playfully pulling your chain.  So turn on your sense of humor and get onboard.   

Not my favorite thing to do, but the following is a truthful and serious statement, and I am only going to say it once:                                                                              I do in point of fact believe that it will be a close game but that we will win. I think that even with our loss of personnel due to injury we have a better team than you this year and that we are very motivated. We remain in contention mainly because of our depth, but also because of our record in games when the chips are on the line. It is an accurate assessment that your competition has not been equal to some others in the playoffs this year. That is pretty much undeniable, but not a big deal. Every team gets that type of schedule every so often. However, you have not distanced yourself from any of your competitors. Further, it has to hurt you that you have been 21 days without a game. By virtue of that fact, your team should be rusty.  So there. You have it: the absolute truth with respect to my opinion about this game.                                                                                                      

As for your program, I truly respect most everyone in your conference, UND and UNI especially this year, and Montana in most years, despite what the NDSU fans had to say about UND. I recognize that they fear your future development and threat to their heretofore dominance in your state. We have played many of the teams in your conference or in a three-state area of your school over the years. Won some, lost some. Not a big deal either way. So while I hope we win, I will not gloat if we do.  And, like I said before, if we lose, I will be one of your biggest fans all the way to Frisco. 

Is that clear, son?  I SAID, IS THAT CLEAR? 

Now enough of this nonsense. Stop making me pause and take care of the serious, truthful, boring and inconsequential stuff.  I need to get back to my bantering. I feel like a fish out of water. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, iSpider said:

Nothing could be further from the truth (Well, maybe some things) and I am not a mocker. Never have been and I have been around for a while. Never mocked anyone or any team on any message board.  My posts are intended to be humorous, but certainly not in a mocking way.  And as to protecting myself from ridicule if we lose, you are not even close. Should that occur, I'll be over it in 10 minutes and focusing on basketball. You clearly have misread my messages. I am not mocking, not being condescending, nothing of that nature whatsoever. I am just playfully pulling your chain.  So turn on your sense of humor and get onboard.   

Not my favorite thing to do, but the following is a truthful and serious statement, and I am only going to say it once:                                                         I do in point of fact believe that it will be a close game but that we will win. I think that even with our loss of personnel due to injury we have a better team than you this year and that we are very motivated. We remain in contention mainly because of our depth, but also because of our record in games when the chips are on the line. It is an accurate assessment that your competition has not been equal to some others in the playoffs this year. That is pretty much undeniable, but not a big deal. Every team gets that type of schedule every so often. However, you have not distanced yourself from any of your competitors. Further, it has to hurt you that you have been 21 days without a game. By virtue of that fact, your team should be rusty.  So there. You have it: the absolute truth with respect to my opinion about this game.                                                                                                      

As for your program, I truly respect most everyone in your conference, UND and UNI especially this year, and Montana in most years, despite what the NDSU fans had to say about UND. I recognize that they fear your future development and threat to their heretofore dominance in your state. We have played many of the teams in your conference or in a three-state area of your school over the years. Won some, lost some. Not a big deal either way. So while I hope we win, I will not gloat if we do.  And, like I said before, if we lose, I will be one of your biggest fans all the way to Frisco. 

Is that clear, son?  I SAID, IS THAT CLEAR? 

Now enough of this nonsense. Stop making me pause and take care of the serious, truthful, boring and inconsequential stuff.  I need to get back to my bantering. I feel like a fish out of water. 

Brevity is the soul of wit.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

Brevity is the soul of wit.

So said Shakespeare in the Elizabethan era. Brevity has no place on a football message board. 

"Longwindedness is the soul of banter." iSpider, "Successful Psychological Attacks in FCS," republished from The Place and Purpose of Longwinded Posts in Mounting An Effective Psychological Attack, New York Times, March 2, 2014.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, iSpider said:

I check 5Dimes every week during the season. Usually, I just check to box "college extras" and all FCS games come up. However, all I can get this week are Divs I &II. Which box do you check to get FCS predictions to come up on 5Dimes? Is there another way to access FCS games there other than the way that I mentioned?  How do you do it?

I just hit college football

1 hour ago, iSpider said:

Its under College this week, not college extras.

3 hours ago, iSpider said:

I think someone must have made a run to Costco for your bird. Unless I hear otherwise, I am going to call him Bert.

Bert's gestures in that clip resemble mine once I have had a drink or 10.  

Think his name is Rocco, at least this week. 

Sent an email to the Alerus & told them they need to open the roof for this game. Might need some cold North Dakota night skies to hold the iSpider offense in check. 

;)