SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting hawks vs spiders

Longtime fan

After watching Richmond on Saturday my impression is "very good but beatable." We have to run well, and especially avoid 3rd and long situations. Their offense was pretty balanced and that big back can do some damage. We also have to be on the good side of the turnover ratio. Basic, standard stuff. I like our chances - especially at home.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sioux04 said:

Their QB is not proven and we need to lay the hammer down on him.  I believe we can dominate this game. 

This is a big, big part of this game.

If UND's defense can do what they do best - stop the run - then I think the amount of pressure on Richmond's QB would be overwhelming. It is very important that the crowd get into it early and often; this is Richmond's quarterback's first road start!

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

Respectfully disagree.  We should be healthy after our long break but we won't be rusty.  Our guys are confident and very hungry and they've practiced hard and effectively.  We've seen our QB emerge in the recent games to become one of the best in the fcs.  These eastern teams always come with a good RB and an above average defensive player or two but little else.  We'll wear them down with our running game and we are now a great passing team if that is necessary.

:blink: Really?

Studsrud has been...ok. Hasn't made as many mistakes, but he also hasn't been amazing. Statistically, he's the 5th best QB in the Big Sky and you think he's one of the best in the country?

http://www.bigskyconf.com/custompages/football/2016/confldrs.htm#conf.wi2

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

Studsrud has been...ok. Hasn't made as many mistakes, but he also hasn't been amazing. Statistically, he's the 5th best QB in the Big Sky and you think he's one of the best in the country?

Can't go off of stats because we don't chuck the pigskin like other teams. One of the best in FCS may be a stretch but he has been really really good lately. I'd also like to see a qb play better than he did with an ac sprain in their throwing shoulder. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Can't go off of stats because we don't chuck the pigskin like other teams. One of the best in FCS may be a stretch but he has been really really good lately. I'd also like to see a qb play better than he did with an ac sprain in their throwing shoulder. 

Even looking at efficiency he's middle of the road. I'm not going off total yards here. I'm all for being proud of your guy, no arguments from me that he's had a solid year, but to say he's one of the best in the country is such an enormous stretch and maybe shows that this particular poster doesn't watch a lot of FCS football.

There are some serious talents at the QB position around the nation. Taryn Christion just down the road in Brookings is near the top of that list as far as I'm concerned.

9 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I'm only grading from the last three games.  This QB has arrived

I think studs does most of what is asked. He doesn't turn it over. He is a very good runner - I think he runs too much though. Without Him we really suffer. He does miss open receivers at times. When on and confident he is very good. One of the best in the FCS would be a stretch in my opinion. We have little depth so that makes him very valuable.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

I'm only grading from the last three games.  This QB has arrived

Weber K.Studsrud 26 4/9 0 TD 0 Interceptions 2.9 avg

UNC, I can't find stats for Keaton for this game, was he hurt the entire game?

NAU- K.Studsrud 252 yards 13/34 1 TD 0 Interceptions 7.4 avg

What am I not seeing here? Are these stats accurate or did I pull the wrong ones? It looks like he's been hurt two of the last 3 games and hardly played. Is that accurate?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

I'm in agreement on Christain and he;s probably better than Studsrud but Studs has been a top 10 QB these last games.

Probably better than Studsrud? Honest question, how much FCS football outside of UND have you watched this year?

Like I said, I'm not trying to take anything away from the kid, he's gotten the job done. But I have a hard time seeing how he would be mentioned as a top 40 QB in the nation, let alone "one of the best".

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

Probably better than Studsrud? Honest question, how much FCS football outside of UND have you watched this year?

Like I said, I'm not trying to take anything away from the kid, he's gotten the job done. But I have a hard time seeing how he would be mentioned as a top 40 QB in the nation, let alone "one of the best".

Studsrud is one of the most valuable QBs in the fcs

I would say that Studs may not win a game for his team...but he won't be the reason for a loss.

Takes good care of the ball and manages the game well.  With the defense UND has, Studs is a good fit at qb.  And he has just enough flashes to remind you that he can run and throw.  His numbers won't be great...except in the W column.

• Upvote 2

Studs's accuracy has improved every year and he hasn't turned the ball over that often. He is a game changer when healthy with his scrambling ability. When he needs to pass it's pretty damn good, but with 2 great runners in Santiago and Olivera we don't need to rely on Stud's arm.

10 hours ago, Bison06 said:

10 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I think he miss wrote and he meant best in the state!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SIOUX29 said:

I think he miss wrote and he meant best in the state!

Well played sir.

Easton and Keaton are very comparable, statistically Keaton has the slight edge. Both have that intangible "winner" DNA. Lots of good football in ND right now.

• Upvote 1