SiouxSports.com Forum

Best UND football game ever

Siouxperfan7

So Saturdays game was one of the best UND games that I have ever seen.  Obviously with how they won it and what was at stake, it ranks it up there as one of the best in UND football history.  But was is THE best?  Hard to put any game ahead of the 2001 National Championship, but it is definitely up there.  Since it's a bye week, why not go down memory lane and recall some of the best UND football games ever.

Some games that come to mind:  1993 vs. NDSU, 2001 vs. UC-Davis, 2006 @ UNI for games of importance to the program and fan base. Other ones that stick out (how important they were is not a criteria) are 1994 @ NDSU (first game in Fargodome), 1994 vs. NDSU (DII playoffs), 1995 vs. NDSU (NFL Films documentary), 1998 @ NDSU (Jimmy Kleinsasser), 2003 vs. NDSU (last Nickel Trophy game), 2011 vs. South Dakota (Great West Conference championship).

8 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

For me the best game I attended was the game at WYO. Before the game their fans chirped loudly at us and after the game the looks on their faces was priceless.

That game was special.  Their fans could not understand how UND could run the ball on Buhl's team.  Also how we shutdown their running game.  Santiago's move to side step the MLB for the TD was priceless. 

• Upvote 3

UND over GVSU to win it all. Nothing beats that, as for as a close second, UND over UC Davis in the 2001 playoff game that got us to Alabama. That Alerus was so rocking loud that caused UC Davis problems on offense. It was a fun experience to be there and contribute to the loudness of the dome.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

UND over GVSU to win it all. Nothing beats that, as for as a close second, UND over UC Davis in the 2001 playoff game that got us to Alabama. That Alerus was so rocking loud that caused UC Davis problems on offense. It was a fun experience to be there and contribute to the loudness of the dome.

Fully concur with this.  It was so fun to watch Davis' highly-touted QB just smothered by the defense, and it was LOUD in the Alerus.

• Upvote 1

Not trying to put it at the top (how do you compare with a national title???), but I'm still loving on this season's Potato Bowl.  Without that second half against USD, last week's game is just to keep playoff hopes secure.  Or we could have dropped a couple more after a dejected team started 0-3, and last weekend wouldn't have mattered nearly as much.  But, that second half set the table for that run that lead to that conference championship that was earned with another second half comeback...  A special game in my mind!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Best Regular Season game by far was the 1993 NDSU game.  That game ended the long losing streak against the Bison and started a pretty game run of dominance of the Sioux over the Bison and the rest of the NCC.

Never thought in my lifetime I'd be at a football game in which the goal posts would come down after the game, but I was there for that one.  Definitely remorable!!  

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

2004 NCAA Division II Quarterfinal (GVSU @ UND)

18 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Best game at the Al..........easy for me the 2001 vs UC Davis game.

Overall....... pretty tough to beat a game that wins a Natty though.

These were two SPECTACULAR games!  I'll never forget how loud that place was.  And how it was finally nice to play GVSU at home.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Best Regular Season game by far was the 1993 NDSU game.  That game ended the long losing streak against the Bison and started a pretty game run of dominance of the Sioux over the Bison and the rest of the NCC.

I was there with my parents, unfortunately we had to sit on the Bison side, the amazement of people running with the goal post after seeing us win for the first time since 1980 was quite a sight. 

• Upvote 1

I attended one heck of a good playoff game against UNO in Omaha in 2006. The lead changed hands several times but we won with a late interception being key to preserving the victory. Final score was something like 38-33. I won't say it was our best game ever but needs mentioning. I was also at the game last year vs Wyoming. I basked in the afterglow of that experience for a good two weeks.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Not trying to put it at the top (how do you compare with a national title???), but I'm still loving on this season's Potato Bowl.  Without that second half against USD, last week's game is just to keep playoff hopes secure.  Or we could have dropped a couple more after a dejected team started 0-3, and last weekend wouldn't have mattered nearly as much.  But, that second half set the table for that run that lead to that conference championship that was earned with another second half comeback...  A special game in my mind!

That was my first OT game that turned into double OT. I never thought it would end with every try towards the end zone would end in a replay review. I still remember my dad saying when the game was a final, " let's get out of here before the refs change their minds". That game I think was turning point in how this season went.

For everybody who mentioned 1993, thank you. I was 26 and graduated a couple of years earlier but came back to Grand Forks for that game because I had a gut feeling it was going to be the end of the streak. My gut was right and it is still the only game I've ever attended for any team where I rushed the field and was part of taking down the goal posts. Great memory.

• Upvote 4