SiouxSports.com Forum

Best UND football game ever

Siouxperfan7

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Considering you were one of the posters on here lobbying for Mussman to keep his job, this comment isn't worth as much as you think it is.

I'm also one of the few who realize the resources Faison gave Muss to work with. Faison tried doing football with a shoe string budget and it didn't work. I still have no idea how we won that Great West title, that team had very little talent. 

Pretty easy for you to snipe with the advantage of hindsight isn't it? How about thinking of how hard those players worked to earn those wins?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm also one of the few who realize the resources Faison gave Muss to work with. Faison tried doing football with a shoe string budget and it didn't work. I still have no idea how we won that Great West title, that team had very little talent. 

Pretty easy for you to snipe with the advantage of hindsight isn't it? How about thinking of how hard those players worked to earn those wins?

If you really believe that we would be talking about hosting an FCS playoff game as the #7 seed with Mussman still at the helm, then you are living in a different sports world than most of us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Where in the hell did I say any of that?

You were implying it when you said Faison gave Mussman a shoestring budget to work with. I honestly don't think it would have mattered what budget Mussman had to work with, the mess he left for Bubba to clean up was epic to say the least.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You were implying it when you said Faison gave Mussman a shoestring budget to work with. I honestly don't think it would have mattered what budget Mussman had to work with, the mess he left for Bubba to clean up was epic to say the least.

What budget constraints gave Muss a disadvantage?  Muss was an average coach at best.  Bubba has shown he is great coach.  Making excuses for Muss is just sad.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

What budget constraints gave Muss a disadvantage?  Muss was an average coach at best.  Bubba has shown he is great coach.  Making excuses for Muss is just sad.

Not a Muss defender, but his assistant coaching staff was all either inexperienced or bad.  That can be traced, at least in part, to the peanuts UND was willing to pay them.

17 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Mussman wasn't given a budget to hire good people, he was given a budget to hire below average coaches and it showed. If Faison was serious about D1 football he would've address the issue earlier in Mussman's career instead of hanging him out to dry.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I agree with you, it is people like geaux_sioux that are making excuses for Mussman. Can anybody verify whether or not resources given to FB have increased during Bubba's tenure? I am guessing there hasn't been a dramatic change.

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

There has been a huge increase in the coach salary pool which pays for assistants. There has been a huge increase in investment in football since Bubba got hired.

And I'm not making excuses for anyone, I'm telling the truth.

Okay, it is good to know they are upping the support for FB. The next concern (not now, but in a couple of years) will be keeping Bubba and/or his assistants from leaving for better jobs.

What game I wish I could say. 2014 against #7 Montana... if only we got the kick down.

I'd go 2015 against MSU that I saw in person.  Truthfully, ran it down their throats and if UND defended a few trick plays a little better the game wasn't even close.

*Remember I was a student of the transition and early Big Sky days so my live versions are limited.

Watched?  NAU game from this year

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

What game I wish I could say. 2014 against #7 Montana... if only we got the kick down.

I'd go 2015 against MSU that I saw in person.  Truthfully, ran it down their throats and if UND defended a few trick plays a little better the game wasn't even close.

*Remember I was a student of the transition and early Big Sky days so my live versions are limited.

Watched?  NAU game from this year

Pretty much same here. 2001 is when I started paying attention. Graduated from UND in 08 and then the transition happened. My favorite game in person was out in Wyoming because driving home after the game the sense of a rising program couldn't be ignored.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

There has been a huge increase in the coach salary pool which pays for assistants. There has been a huge increase in investment in football since Bubba got hired.

And I'm not making excuses for anyone, I'm telling the truth.

Those were part of the negotiated terms of Bubba's hire; credit to Bubba. Bubba knows how to work the administration, if you can't tell by this point (his athletic department-wide speeches and messages have blown anything Faison has ever tried to deliver out of the water). Bubba has far better people skills and, quite frankly, common sense than Mussman. Don't use $$$ as an excuse for Mussman; he just didn't have the ability to be a leader, both on the football field and with higher leadership. If he had, he would've been able to lobby for better support.

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Those were part of the negotiated terms of Bubba's hire; credit to Bubba. Bubba knows how to work the administration, if you can't tell by this point (his athletic department-wide speeches and messages have blown anything Faison has ever tried to deliver out of the water). Bubba has far better people skills and, quite frankly, common sense than Mussman. Don't use $$$ as an excuse for Mussman; he just didn't have the ability to be a leader, both on the football field and with higher leadership. If he had, he would've been able to lobby for better support.

If you don't think Mussman was asking for more money for the program you're crazy. It's just too convenient to place 100% of the blame on Muss but that just isn't reality. He just wasn't a HC type but he was also never given a legit shot.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If you don't think Mussman was asking for more money for the program you're crazy. It's just too convenient to place 100% of the blame on Muss but that just isn't reality. He just wasn't a HC type but he was also never given a legit shot.

My point clearly was his tactics of going about it (rallying support) were flawed. And they were. Fact. He didn't have it; time to move on and accept the positive current state of affairs. 

On 11/19/2016 at 8:13 PM, iramurphy said:

In 1972 Cal Poly wasn't #1.  Delaware was.  During the regular season, We played poorly and got beat by the AC at home. Our All American RB got hurt and didn't play in the second half. We were ranked #3 when we lost that game, our only loss of the year. Delaware refused to come west to play us in the Camelia Bowl.   They won a different bowl game and retained their #1 ranking. (we didn't get screwed by the pollsters, we "screwed the pooch" against the AC).  

Actually historical records indicate we went to the Camellia bowl to play #1 Cal Poly, who we defeated handily.  The pollsters then gave the championship to undefeated #2 Delaware, because of our loss to NDSU. We were #3 going into the bowl game

Crappy polls,  a championship without having to play the game