SiouxSports.com Forum

Best UND football game ever

Siouxperfan7

The 93 game is so significant. I was at UND during the 80's and SU killed us and their fans were even bigger Dbags than they are now. Over a decade of dominance against UND and in one play, the Mooney fumble recovery (steal), and the whole series shifted and UND football started it's ascent to a National Title. Nothing better than that one.

After the Fargodome was built and we had the Kleinsasser game, I bought a T-shirt that said, "The Fargodome. SU built it, UND owns it."

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, shep said:

The 93 game is so significant. I was at UND during the 80's and SU killed us and their fans were even bigger Dbags than they are now. Over a decade of dominance against UND and in one play, the Mooney fumble recovery (steal), and the whole series shifted and UND football started it's ascent to a National Title. Nothing better than that one.

After the Fargodome was built and we had the Kleinsasser game, I bought a T-shirt that said, "The Fargodome. SU built it, UND owns it."

Both game were great.  I was at both.   Another was the first game in the fargodome, I believe.  I our QB was injuries and Klancher a freshman played and we won.  We were not expected to.  what a game, Klancher had a shovel pass and a good friend of mine from NDSU was so pissed.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I walked out of that game with my ears ringing.  Hadn't happened before and hasn't happened again after any game at the Alerus.  Those 4 plays that UC Davis had from our 1 yard line that we stopped them every time were insane!!!

That QB's name JT O'sullivan or Sullivan something like that. He played a little in the NFL. Anyway I'm sure if you ask that guy about the game he'll tell you how loud it was. There was multiple false starts. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, shep said:

Is that possible??

• Upvote 1

Maybe not the best game ever but my first in person UND Football game was vs UNO in 82 or 83 at Memorial Stadium.  Downpour all day, the grass field looked like a beet field after harvest when the game was done.  I had a blast!  Don't even remember who won.  Going back to then is why I love the new gray pants with the green and white stripes and look forward to the new gray helmets next year.  Will miss the interlocking ND on them.

1 hour ago, shep said:

Was anyone at the "Fire and Ice" game at Memorial Stadium? A TV channel did a show about it, focusing on the coaches, Roger Thomas (Ice) and Rocky Hager (Fire). UND won. I was in long johns, snowcat suit and filled with lots of Schnapps.

I had a pretty good seat for that game-

• Upvote 1

On November 16, 2016 at 8:08 PM, bincitysioux said:

As far as games that I've actually been in attendance for (No particular order)......................

• 2003 vs UNO:  UND led throughout the game until UNO tied it with 2:00 left.  Jeff Glas hit a 48 yard field goal to win it with 10 seconds left
  • 2003 vs Winona:  NCAA quarterfinal game.  Sioux were up 21 at the half before Winona scored 22 straight to take the lead with 2:00 left.  UND goes on 80 yard drive and score winning TD with less than 30 seconds left
  • 2003 vs North Alabama:  NCAA Semis.  Game was never really in doubt, but I have never again heard the Alerus so loud.
  • 2004 vs GVSU:  NCAA quarterfinal game.  UND scores winning TD with 5 minutes left
  • 2005 vs UNO:  We lost this game!  Led by 19 in the 4th QTR before the Mavs scored 20 straight.  Alerus Center was shocked.
  • 2006 @ SCSU:  OT win.  7 lead changes in the game.  Ryan Chappel ran for 150 yards.  My first road game
  • 2008 @ USD:  OT win.  Hellevang kicks the winner in OT. 
  • 2014 vs NAU:  We led by 3 scores at halftime.  Lumberjacks stormed back to take a one point lead.  Taubenheim kicked game winner with less than 10 seconds left
  • 2016 vs USD:  You all remember, it was the home opener!
  • 2016 vs NAU:  You all remember, it just happened!  Clinched the first of MANY Big Sky titles!!

As far as games of overall historic significance (no particular order)..................

• 2001 vs Grand Valley:  National Championship, nuff said........
  • 2015 vs Wyoming:  First FBS win
  • 1993 vs NDSU:  First win against Bison in 13 years, first NCC title in 13 years
  • 2006 vs Northern Iowa:  Major upset win against then #3 ranked I-AA team in the nation.  UNI hasn't been the same since! ;)
  • 1972 vs Cal Poly:  Camelia Bowl.  We were #3, Poly was #1.  We won and it should have been our first Natty.  Championship was awarded by poll, and it was given to Delaware who had an unblemished record.  First example of the NCAA screwing us.
  • 2016 vs NAU:  In addition to being one of the wildest and most entertaining games of all time I am sure, it also clinched North Dakota's first ever Big Sky Championship, and 100% guaranteed the program its first ever spot in the NCAA Division I Football Playoffs.
  • 1894 vs Grand Forks City:  First ever football game played by the University of North Dakota.  Without this game, we wouldn't be talking about any of the others!

In 1972 Cal Poly wasn't #1.  Delaware was.  During the regular season, We played poorly and got beat by the AC at home. Our All American RB got hurt and didn't play in the second half. We were ranked #3 when we lost that game, our only loss of the year. Delaware refused to come west to play us in the Camelia Bowl.   They won a different bowl game and retained their #1 ranking. (we didn't get screwed by the pollsters, we "screwed the pooch" against the AC).  

Other games worth mentioning was the 33-6 loss to Army.  Army finished 9-1-1 and UND finished 9-1 that year. Red Jarrett was an All-American. (I did not see that game). Jack West tried to schedule best competition he could. 

1971 AC game in Fargo. They were undefeated in 30 some straight games, ranked #1. The fatal tragic fire at SAE house was night before game which was played in the rain. We held them to something like  minus 76 yds rushing and minus 11 total yds.  Their only score was a pick 6.  We knocked 2 QB's out of game.  Their QB May was sacked 15 times. 

1975 game against AC in Fargo.  They were up 17-6 and Sioux ran off 28 straight points to win 34-6.  Kasowski's 62!yd TD run resulted in Bison DB Krebsbach laid out with ruptured liver after devastating block by WR John Kuklenski and bloodied Bison DB Chuck Rodgers who was bulldozed by Kasowski at about the 5 yd lline.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Kasowski's 62!yd TD run resulted in Bison DB Krebsbach laid out with ruptured liver after devastating block by WR John 

Ruptured spleen,  nastiest block I've ever seen

Edited by sprig

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

In 1972 Cal Poly wasn't #1.  Delaware was.  During the regular season, We played poorly and got beat by the AC at home. Our All American RB got hurt and didn't play in the second half. We were ranked #3 when we lost that game, our only loss of the year. Delaware refused to come west to play us in the Camelia Bowl.   They won a different bowl game and retained their #1 ranking. (we didn't get screwed by the pollsters, we "screwed the pooch" against the AC).  

Other games worth mentioning was the 33-6 loss to Army.  Army finished 9-1-1 and UND finished 9-1 that year. Red Jarrett was an All-American. (I did not see that game). Jack West tried to schedule best competition he could. 

1971 AC game in Fargo. They were undefeated in 30 some straight games, ranked #1. The fatal tragic fire at SAE house was night before game which was played in the rain. We held them to something like  minus 76 yds rushing and minus 11 total yds.  Their only score was a pick 6.  We knocked 2 QB's out of game.  Their QB May was sacked 15 times. 

1975 game against AC in Fargo.  They were up 17-6 and Sioux ran off 28 straight points to win 34-6.  Kasowski's 62!yd TD run resulted in Bison DB Krebsbach laid out with ruptured liver after devastating block by WR John Kuklenski and bloodied Bison DB Chuck Rodgers who was bulldozed by Kasowski at about the 5 yd lline.

I recall an old timer talking to the team about that '71 game. Said they absolutely kicked the !@#$ out of them. 

5 hours ago, Air Force One said:

Maybe not the best game ever but my first in person UND Football game was vs UNO in 82 or 83 at Memorial Stadium.  Downpour all day, the grass field looked like a beet field after harvest when the game was done.  I had a blast!  Don't even remember who won.  Going back to then is why I love the new gray pants with the green and white stripes and look forward to the new gray helmets next year.  Will miss the interlocking ND on them.

It was 82.  It is my favorite game because it was the fist game I got to play in.  UNO was rated #1 in the country and we won 30-8.

The field was a complete swamp and the cinder track was a moat.  They put down pallets on the track so we could get across to the field.

My favorite other three games would be the championship game we won, the Mooney steal game when we broke the streak and the Davis game. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I recall an old timer talking to the team about that '71 game. Said they absolutely kicked the !@#$ out of them. 

I was at the 71 Bison game, Sioux had complete dominance, yet over the top ranked team in country. Never seen a whooping like that. 

Interesting how they were ranked # 1, even way back then, on accomplishments of previous years. The game was also in Fargo. That was the biggest win in my college days! Bison fans were pretty quiet after that one. Hope somebody steps on the Bison this year just to shut up their arrogant fans.

• Upvote 1

I was on the goal post when it snapped in 93.  Don't remember much about the game as we tailgated hard before the game and at halftime in the old Ralph parking lot.  That was a great game!

However nothing compares to the 01 championship game in Florence.  I was much more sober and remember the game much more.  "The Drive" was such a perfect ending to the season.  Even more special was the plane ride back with the team.  That was the shortest 2 hour flight of my life.  

29 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

You two are full of !@#$. Our first D1 conference title and first win over a big name program in D1 were both big deals and great games.

Big Deals but prolonged Mussmans regime and prolonged bringing Sioux football back to relevance.  Mussmans regime was a black cloud like the Pat Burns era!

53 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

You two are full of !@#$. Our first D1 conference title and first win over a big name program in D1 were both big deals and great games.

Considering you were one of the posters on here lobbying for Mussman to keep his job, this comment isn't worth as much as you think it is.

• Upvote 1