SiouxSports.com Forum

Best UND football game ever

Siouxperfan7

1 hour ago, HopHead said:

For everybody who mentioned 1993, thank you. I was 26 and graduated a couple of years earlier but came back to Grand Forks for that game because I had a gut feeling it was going to be the end of the streak. My gut was right and it is still the only game I've ever attended for any team where I rushed the field and was part of taking down the goal posts. Great memory.

I went to every home game that season (playoffs too) had the same seat number for each game no matter the section, just whatever I could to add extra luck that season and winning the NCC, and beating the Bison was awesome.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to go with the 2003 game vs NDSU and the 2001 Cal Davis game. Those games had the energy and excitement that might have structurally damaged the Al. I was at the Iowa-Michigan game last Saturday and I didn't feel the energy that I felt in those two games. Granted I'm not really a fan of either Michigan or Iowa so I might be bias.   

As far as games that I've actually been in attendance for (No particular order)......................

• 2003 vs UNO:  UND led throughout the game until UNO tied it with 2:00 left.  Jeff Glas hit a 48 yard field goal to win it with 10 seconds left
  • 2003 vs Winona:  NCAA quarterfinal game.  Sioux were up 21 at the half before Winona scored 22 straight to take the lead with 2:00 left.  UND goes on 80 yard drive and score winning TD with less than 30 seconds left
  • 2003 vs North Alabama:  NCAA Semis.  Game was never really in doubt, but I have never again heard the Alerus so loud.
  • 2004 vs GVSU:  NCAA quarterfinal game.  UND scores winning TD with 5 minutes left
  • 2005 vs UNO:  We lost this game!  Led by 19 in the 4th QTR before the Mavs scored 20 straight.  Alerus Center was shocked.
  • 2006 @ SCSU:  OT win.  7 lead changes in the game.  Ryan Chappel ran for 150 yards.  My first road game
  • 2008 @ USD:  OT win.  Hellevang kicks the winner in OT. 
  • 2014 vs NAU:  We led by 3 scores at halftime.  Lumberjacks stormed back to take a one point lead.  Taubenheim kicked game winner with less than 10 seconds left
  • 2016 vs USD:  You all remember, it was the home opener!
  • 2016 vs NAU:  You all remember, it just happened!  Clinched the first of MANY Big Sky titles!!

As far as games of overall historic significance (no particular order)..................

• 2001 vs Grand Valley:  National Championship, nuff said........
  • 2015 vs Wyoming:  First FBS win
  • 1993 vs NDSU:  First win against Bison in 13 years, first NCC title in 13 years
  • 2006 vs Northern Iowa:  Major upset win against then #3 ranked I-AA team in the nation.  UNI hasn't been the same since! ;)
  • 1972 vs Cal Poly:  Camelia Bowl.  We were #3, Poly was #1.  We won and it should have been our first Natty.  Championship was awarded by poll, and it was given to Delaware who had an unblemished record.  First example of the NCAA screwing us.
  • 2016 vs NAU:  In addition to being one of the wildest and most entertaining games of all time I am sure, it also clinched North Dakota's first ever Big Sky Championship, and 100% guaranteed the program its first ever spot in the NCAA Division I Football Playoffs.
  • 1894 vs Grand Forks City:  First ever football game played by the University of North Dakota.  Without this game, we wouldn't be talking about any of the others!
  • Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Northern Alabama at the Al.  I've never heard it louder......

This game was incredibly loud.  I was not at the 2001 UC Davis game, which seems to have almost a mythical reputation at this point, but if it was louder than that 2003 North Alabama game, it must have been almost unbearable.

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

This game was incredibly loud.  I was not at the 2001 UC Davis game, which seems to have almost a mythical reputation at this point, but if it was louder than that 2003 North Alabama game, it must have been almost unbearable.

2001 Davis game is where I felt a sensation I have yet to experience again. It was a different kind of loud.

• Upvote 2

I wasn't at UC Davis in 2001, so I can't compare.  But that Northern Alabama game  noise wise was the loudest I've ever experienced at any sporting event I've ever been to.

Student section screaming every play NA had the ball......I was right in the middle of it. Great times!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

2001 Davis game is where I felt a sensation I have yet to experience again. It was a different kind of loud.

Watched that game with a bunch of Sioux fans at Joe Senser's in Bloomington...The noise that came across the broadcast was unbelievable.

• Upvote 1

Probably the one of biggest games in UND history was in 1930: A loss to #9 Army at West Point.

Another big game was Homecoming 1931: UND and Oregon played to 0-0 tie at Memorial Stadium before over 10,000 fans.

The 1930's teams with the likes of Boots Richmond, Red Jarrett and Nip Felber played teams across the country.

A Century of UND Sports by Lee Bohnet provides a rich history on UND sports up to 1994.

I have been lucky enough to attend some of the games mentioned in this thread and agree they were special.

• Upvote 3

On 11/16/2016 at 8:38 AM, siouxforcefans said:

Not trying to put it at the top (how do you compare with a national title???), but I'm still loving on this season's Potato Bowl.  Without that second half against USD, last week's game is just to keep playoff hopes secure.  Or we could have dropped a couple more after a dejected team started 0-3, and last weekend wouldn't have mattered nearly as much.  But, that second half set the table for that run that lead to that conference championship that was earned with another second half comeback...  A special game in my mind!

I don't have the history that a lot of folks here do, but honestly for pure drama this year's first and last home games can hardly be beat. The Hawks had bad first halves in both games and were somehow able to wake up the offense and score on defense in the second halves. Those are the kind of games that turn casual fans into big-time fans - me included!

• Upvote 2

On 11/16/2016 at 9:19 PM, geaux_sioux said:

I walked out of that game with my ears ringing.  Hadn't happened before and hasn't happened again after any game at the Alerus.  Those 4 plays that UC Davis had from our 1 yard line that we stopped them every time were insane!!!

• Upvote 2

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:37 AM, NoDaks said:

Best games I was at:

03 win vs NDSU

03 comeback vs St Cloud

03 @South Dakota State

04 playoffs vs St Cloud 

04 against GVSU

06 at Northern Iowa

06 playoffs at UNO

2011 comeback vs USD

2016 vs USD and vs NAU

Oh yea!  I forgot about the 03 St Cloud game.  Down 28-3 at the half and the stands virtually empty out.  Team comes back to win 29-28.  That game was awesome!

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I walked out of that game with my ears ringing.  Hadn't happened before and hasn't happened again after any game at the Alerus.  Those 4 plays that UC Davis had from our 1 yard line that we stopped them every time were insane!!!

One of those plays I can remember as if it were yesterday, not so much what happened in the play but the way the crowd seemed to be at peak decibels and then all of a sudden everyone, seemingly in unison, found another gear and the place started to shake. The QB was screaming into his guys ears trying to adjust something and they couldn't hear a thing. 

• Upvote 1