SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

petey23

14 minutes ago, mj23 said:

I can't help understanding the logic with EW at 1 and NDSU at 3.  Who are the drunks that came up with that?

Not saying I agree with it, but "What have you done for me lately?" 

NDSU beat EWU at home in OT and has since lost its best player on defense to injury.  Not entirely unreasonable to think EWU wins on a neutral field.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, mj23 said:

I can't help understanding the logic with EW at 1 and NDSU at 3.  Who are the drunks that came up with that?

You did so well not trolling recently and then you do something dumb like this.

NDSU won in OT at home against EWU (who had a chance to win it at the end of regulation). The game was basically a coin flip.

EWU also played without their best player for half of the game and NDSU has lost their best defensive player since. EWU also has a more impressive win (WSU>Iowa) and has arguably been playing better football the last few weeks.

I'm not saying that NDSU doesn't have an argument for being above them, but the head to head win was in Fargo, in OT and two months ago and I'm guessing that is the only thing you are looking at when you say it doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, homer said:

Wasn't it all about head to head last year?  Now it's gauged on something else? 

Probably that tough OOC and overall SOS, though I'd guess that one will be right out the window next year with Mississippi Valley State and Robert Morris on the OOC schedule (literally the worst team in the FCS and the other who ranks 100+ out of 125).

1 minute ago, Hambone said:

Committee's initial top 10

1. Jacksonville St
2. Sam Houston St
3. Eastern Washington
4. North Dakota St
5. James Madison
6. The Citadel
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga
9. Charleston Southern
10. Central Arkansas

Can't say I'm overly impressed with it. SHSU hasn't played anybody. And I would probably flip EWU and NDSU, given they had a head to head match up.

10 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Committee's initial top 10

1. Jacksonville St
2. Sam Houston St
3. Eastern Washington
4. North Dakota St
5. James Madison
6. The Citadel
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga
9. Charleston Southern
10. Central Arkansas

Bison could have an away playoff game.........doubt it.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Seeing how these first projections look, makes me pretty confident that even if UND wins out (heck even if we had a 1 loss season), we probably won't be getting a seed. 

We just need to win this Saturday! Bug honestly I dont understand the logic of this "top 10."

Jacksonville has one loss - LSU by 21. Probably living a little bit off last year's reputation.
SHSU hasn't played anyone but they have absolutely destroyed everyone they played. Makes it incredibly tough to actually gauge them. They play #10 later in the year, will be big for both teams.
3 and 4 is a coin flip.
JMU seems about right
No real issues with Citadel, undefeated, including beating Chattanooga
Richmond had a big hiccup against Stony Brook but has a few nice wins since plus the knocked of Virginia. They play JMU this week so one of the two should fall.
Chattanooga's only loss is to #6
Charleston Southern lost to NDSU and Florida State and has blown out every other opponent except CCU
UCA is a little bit of a head scratcher. Loss against Samford but did beat Arkansas State.

Feels like it is pretty tough to gauge exactly what the committee was looking for but my guess is wins definitely carries a lot of weight. The only team that has more than one loss is CSU. Will be interesting to see how (and if) this moves over the next couple of weeks

However some of the (over)reactions are definitely amusing.

Would be interesting to see where the committee has und at the current moment.   It's going to be tough for und to jump into a seed spot with the teams mentioned and their remaining schedules.  James Madison has two tough games left, Chattanooga obviously will lose one more to Alabama but that will not affect anything, charleston has maybe one tough game left (not really) and c Arkansas has sam Houston left.  That will drop them to two loses against some good teams.  

As always, und just win!  

19 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Any questions about why we need to win the big sky? Don't let these people make any decisions. They have no idea what they're doing. Somebody pull up the don adams video please.

No questions here. I've been a long proponent of winning the conference. I don't care if we're the 3rd or 4th rated Big Sky team come end of the season.  They can't leave you out if you win it. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Jacksonville has one loss - LSU by 21. Probably living a little bit off last year's reputation.
SHSU hasn't played anyone but they have absolutely destroyed everyone they played. Makes it incredibly tough to actually gauge them. They play #10 later in the year, will be big for both teams.
3 and 4 is a coin flip.
JMU seems about right
No real issues with Citadel, undefeated, including beating Chattanooga
Richmond had a big hiccup against Stony Brook but has a few nice wins since plus the knocked of Virginia. They play JMU this week so one of the two should fall.
Chattanooga's only loss is to #6
Charleston Southern lost to NDSU and Florida State and has blown out every other opponent except CCU
UCA is a little bit of a head scratcher. Loss against Samford but did beat Arkansas State.

Feels like it is pretty tough to gauge exactly what the committee was looking for but my guess is wins definitely carries a lot of weight. The only team that has more than one loss is CSU. Will be interesting to see how (and if) this moves over the next couple of weeks

However some of the (over)reactions are definitely amusing.

Except last year wasn't about wins..they spin to fit their agenda.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Except last year wasn't about wins..they spin to fit their agenda.

One thing I saw about this Top 10 was that the committee really felt the pressure from fans and administrations about not putting in a full effort to analyze those last few teams in.  It seems like they know they screwed up and just wanted to get to their post-meeting drinks.

Hopefully, screwing over UND last year is still on their minds when they get in the room in a few weeks. 

I wasn't necessarily expecting UND to be in this poll, but was hoping there was an outside shot at landing at #10.

What this poll says to me is that name recognition and winning percentage are what appear to be most important to this committee.  North Dakota actually has a better SOS than 4 of these teams.  Every team in this poll is either in first or second place in their league with the exception of Richmond.

If there is such a thing as "Southern" bias, this poll is evidence of it.  It appears UND doesn't yet have the pedigree needed to be given the benefit of the doubt by this committee.

Just need to win these last two and leave it out of their hands.

• Upvote 2