SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs Cal Poly 1PM

geaux_sioux

49 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I'm starting to get cocky. These UND teams are starting to feel like the old d2 days at the Alerus when the game were hardly ever in doubt and its like yeah we're better than you. Bubba has been doing a great job and the attendance was great again. 

It's coming back. It being the confidence. 

Still work to be done, though. Day by day. UND needs to beat Sac State. Control the ball, stop the run, and get after their QB.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the game again, couple things:

Both dranka and tank had very nice games!   Very disruptive and sound. 

Torrey (minus the int) did not look good. 

OL was much improved- hope Rooney is back this week- the change up seem to work 

our punting team is golden- kudos

brady is fun to watch 

hope Santiago's injury isn't serious- brady and Gordon will fill in nicely- don't rush santiago back until fully healthy   

Keaton had a better game but not quite there yet.  

Wanzek- wow! 

Rudolph- nice to have you!!!  Keep  it up.   Good job 

Love our d but the last 3 games the opposing team has been running the ball fairly well.  I know we kept cal poly way below their average but they still had 202 yards 4.6 ave.   South Dakota almost had 2- 100 yrd rushers and Newell had 100 for mont st. 

I ilke the fact that the pass d has 10 int -but in between those int's they give up some big plays.  Need to clean that up

really really like Rodgers game- he's going to be a special player 

a lot of contributing freshman and sophomores - outlook is promising 

und is well rehearsed in tight games!  Not good on my heart- lol

Great win!!  

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Quality depth!   

Rudolph had Santaigo out wide on his one play and the one he got hurt.   Love that he did that, completely took away the predictability of our offense.   Man did Rudolph open his book......all the way to page 6-7.....kudos to Rudolph!  

I guess I don't really agree about opening up the playbook, he did a few things differently but the big difference was in the offensive execution of the play calls.  Much better and more consistent specifically in the passing accuracy most of the game and I don't think we had more then one or maybe two dropped passes.  Studs only had 22 or 23 attempts which isn't much different from previous games but his completion percentage was dramatically better.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Big win und!!! Big win!!  Thank you Rudolph for  not calling a predictable game!   Super excited! 

He was good right up to 4 minutes left in the game. I've been a guy who has spoken up in defense of Rudolph the last couple weeks. That series was dreadful. 3 and out only forced them to take one time out and chewed up a total of maybe 25seconds or less. Granted the execution compounded things by being equally !@#!$ but you have one goal in that situation and you're a conservative play caller to begin with. So what do you do? Throw some irrelevant swing passed to incomplete and stop the clock for them. I'm sorry I was so pissed by the end of that series my wife made me watch the rest of the game on the deck ( I watch the game on my tablet). 

5 minutes ago, bang said:

He was good right up to 4 minutes left in the game. I've been a guy who has spoken up in defense of Rudolph the last couple weeks. That series was dreadful. 3 and out only forced them to take one time out and chewed up a total of maybe 25seconds or less. Granted the execution compounded things by being equally !@#!$ but you have one goal in that situation and you're a conservative play caller to begin with. So what do you do? Throw some irrelevant swing passed to incomplete and stop the clock for them. I'm sorry I was so pissed by the end of that series my wife made me watch the rest of the game on the deck ( I watch the game on my tablet). 

That last series wasn't on Rudolph.  That swing pass was open for a huge gain with a better ball.  Yeah, I think everyone would have like to seen more more time run off but that was a first down and a field turning play. Missed execution. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, homer said:

That last series wasn't on Rudolph.  That swing pass was open for a huge gain with a better ball.  Yeah, I think everyone would have like to seen more more time run off but that was a first down and a field turning play. Missed execution. 

I'd have to agree. The safe and predictable play call there is to run Brady up the middle. If the swing pass is complete people would be saying, "Wow - good (but gutsy!) call!." I know I haven't watched as much or as long as some of you hardcore UND supporters, but I think Rudolph did a great job of spreading the ball around, both on the ground and through the air. Six different guys got carries (no Santiago), and 6 different receivers caught balls. Also, the game plan was seriously altered on the 2nd play of the game when Santiago went down, and they handled that really well.

That said - I still can't understand why the TEs are almost invisible in our offense. The Cal Poly front three weren't getting any pressure at all, so there was no big need to keep a TE in to block. 4-5 TE targets a game (minimum) keeps everybody honest, and I hope we didn't burn Cloyd's redshirt to throw one ball to him against USD.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Torrey (minus the int) did not look good

Yep,  they picked on him constantly,  with a lot of success.  Hope he comes along quickly as it looked like Tyus will be greatly missed, teams will continue to throw to that side of the d until he improves

4 hours ago, BigGame said:

I guess I don't really agree about opening up the playbook, he did a few things differently but the big difference was in the offensive execution of the play calls.  Much better and more consistent specifically in the passing accuracy most of the game and I don't think we had more then one or maybe two dropped passes.  Studs only had 22 or 23 attempts which isn't much different from previous games but his completion percentage was dramatically better.  

Predictability! Predictability! Predictability!!  That's all it was. Rudolph had the exact three plays...every play!!!! He finally mixed it up, not every 1st down was run up the two hole. He actually passed numerous times on 1st downs and kept cal poly honest.  Ran wide,  play action, rolled out Keaton, had santiago out wide to use his strengths .....I give Rudolph kudos for a well called game ......  Finally!!!!!  Hope he continues to do so. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, sprig said:

Yep,  they picked on him constantly,  with a lot of success.  Hope he comes along quickly as it looked like Tyus will be greatly missed, teams will continue to throw to that side of the d until he improves

Torrey is a talented young man that is pretty "green" at the cb postion.  He has nice length, great hip movement and speed. He will be a good one, but yes, wish it could be right now instead of later.  

Extremely thin at the cb postion 

1 hour ago, homer said:

I agree.   Keaton over threw it....not sure how, but he did.  If completed it would of been a 20 yard + gain.  I liked the call.....horrible execution on Keaton 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I've been singing Gordon's praises for a couple years now. Had two really good fall camps and a nice spring session too. Now getting to show his power in prime time!

That was a huge heads up play on that swing pass that was over thrown, and it could have been a game changer.  Watching online I didn't realize it was a backwards pass right away.  If he wasn't heads up and picked up the ball, if he just quit on the play....Poly probably scoops that up and runs it in for a TD.  Instead he picks it up, and I think he got a first down on it too.....great job at being smart for a younger guy who hasn't seen the field much up to this point.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Lol. Right.....my bad...  Yours much gooder at the English thingy then me, myself and I.    I will try harder only for you mr grammar police 

have any input on the game or just grammar correcting?  

Ahh...just hope you enjoyed the game as much as I did...

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

That was a huge heads up play on that swing pass that was over thrown, and it could have been a game changer.  Watching online I didn't realize it was a backwards pass right away.  If he wasn't heads up and picked up the ball, if he just quit on the play....Poly probably scoops that up and runs it in for a TD.  Instead he picks it up, and I think he got a first down on it too.....great job at being smart for a younger guy who hasn't seen the field much up to this point.

That was smart football - hope he gets some kudos for it - actually it seemed that some Cal Poly players had let up on the play - too often even at the BSC level you see players that don't know the rules. 

Great win for the program yesterday. Nice to see the offense and defense play well. The turnovers in the first half just killed us. If we go up 24-0 Poly has to throw and we can defend the pass better. Tough to defend the pass when we focused so hard on the run. We should have scored on the play before the first fumble. The fullback missed the defender. He gets that block and Brady walks into the endzone. I thought Keaton probably his best game of his career. He missed a couple throws but that happens at every level. It was nice to see us get so many different WRs involved. Our freshman played great! Still need to throw a few passes to our TEs.  Final thought is hopefully we can get John back for homecoming...we need him down the stretch. 

14 hours ago, CMSioux said:

That was smart football - hope he gets some kudos for it - actually it seemed that some Cal Poly players had let up on the play - too often even at the BSC level you see players that don't know the rules. 

To be fair, almost everyone in the building thought it was an incomplete forward pass except for the zebras and Gordon.