SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

12 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not saying I agree with what he did.  But it seems like instead of taking responsibility and making the necessary cuts, he is going to make it appear that its the state that is making UND cut programs and not him.  So while he may think he is coming out looking as the good guy that tried to save every athletic program, he actually comes out looking like a failed leader incapable of making tough decisions

Is there a link to the bold portion?  Is that what he is actually doing?  Again, I'll won't believe anything is getting cut until it actually happens.  

The precedent for this cluster !@#$ was set with men's golf.  

12 minutes ago, John W. said:

The elephant in the room is women's hockey...a money loser....so is potential conference move about finances or politics....Big Sky can encompass all UND sports, whereas, Summit/MV would both have to accept us....people,are warming to Big Sky rivalries...and would think a better sell for recruiting....

Cutting that one big financial loser would solve a lot of the budget issues...not all, but most....let's see if Kennedy will put on his 'big boy pants'....and not bow to the 5-600 women's hockey fans....and the couple media promoting "ockey!!!!!

Don't leave us hanging.....we all wait for your posts so we can find out how the Flyers did.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, homer said:

Is there a link to the bold portion?  Is that what he is actually doing?  Again, I'll won't believe anything is getting cut until it actually happens.  

If we are going off of the article Biz posted on Saturday it really does look like the direction this is going.

37 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not saying I agree with what he did.  But it seems like instead of taking responsibility and making the necessary cuts, he is going to make it appear that its the state that is making UND cut programs and not him.  So while he may think he is coming out looking as the good guy that tried to save every athletic program, he actually comes out looking like a failed leader incapable of making tough decisions

Of course the other side of the argument is a leader who doesn't listen to the faculty, called a dictator, not transparent, etc. if he made the cuts*

*Not disagree at all with your point and my statement above to me is a ridiculous statement but after the blowback from the Schafer cuts its quite possible that is message would be spread instead (why anytime an article about budget cuts comes up people still want MT reinstated), I agree that he should have bitten the bullet back Oct/Nov and made the cuts. Unless this is a way to tell the faculty: Well I gave you the chance that you asked because of what happened when Schafer did the cuts and you stated you don't want to cut anything athletically and I went along with it.  Now that there is further cutting needing to be done that is mandated by the state, I will be tasked with it.

If UND is going down this rabbit hole once again, they need to come out of this with cuts. You cannot keep crying wolf on this. I don't like saying that but its the truth.

• Upvote 1

I like Kennedy and I loved his message about wanting to support UND athletics at a championship level. He seems to be very supportive and really understands what a positive boost athletics brings to the University. That being said, I hated how he handled this earlier and how he didn't have the guts to make the cuts when they should have. Not saying it's an easy thing to do, but it needed to be done. My hope is that Kennedy cuts 2 or 3 programs and gets UND to a number that fits the size of the University.

Honestly, Kennedy is playing this like a politician. 

He needed to not be "dictatorial" (as was accused of) Ed Schafer so he involved the IAC in the process. The IAC whiffed and Kennedy took their whiff recommendation. 

Plus, he said he's done. 

But now, if the State cuts, mandating he take action that he never planned on, well, all blame shifts to Bismarck. He had to do it because the bosses told him to and the cuts are theirs, not his. 

Kennedy gets the wins in every direction: the IAC (a wing of the University Senate) got to feel included and hugged by Kennedy; Kennedy got to hand the ax to someone else. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, homer said:

This is an opinion.  More specifically mine.  Probably not the only one who has it either.  Shaking things up drastically and cutting athletic programs is something that Kennedy probably didn't want to do his first couple months in office.  Trying to save face and appear to be the good guy is nothing new for a person in a leadership role.

25 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Honestly, Kennedy is playing this like a politician. 

He needed to not be "dictatorial" (as was accused of) Ed Schafer so he involved the IAC in the process. The IAC whiffed and Kennedy took their whiff recommendation. 

Plus, he said he's done. 

But now, if the State cuts, mandating he take action that he never planned on, well, all blame shifts to Bismarck. He had to do it because the bosses told him to and the cuts are theirs, not his. 

Kennedy gets the wins in every direction: the IAC (a wing of the University Senate) got to feel included and hugged by Kennedy; Kennedy got to hand the ax to someone else. 

Until he proves he has the balls to cut sports I'll believe it when I see it.  His other option is to cut funding to sports so he does have 2 options.  He could just as easily say Bismarck forced that as well.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John W. said:

The elephant in the room is women's hockey...a money loser....so is potential conference move about finances or politics....Big Sky can encompass all UND sports, whereas, Summit/MV would both have to accept us....people,are warming to Big Sky rivalries...and would think a better sell for recruiting....

Cutting that one big financial loser would solve a lot of the budget issues...not all, but most....let's see if Kennedy will put on his 'big boy pants'....and not bow to the 5-600 women's hockey fans....and the couple media promoting "ockey!!!!!

I think you're off by a couple of zeros.  

• Upvote 3

Kennedy will cut sports.  Take it at face value, but book it.

His hand is being "forced" this time. ;)

Cut womens hockey and the requisite Title IX mens sports for compliance and be done with it.  Schafer whiffed  and now Kennedy has whiffed.  3rd time is a charm.

Right now, there could be a lawsuit from the mens side of the equation for title IX.  We are over the compliance requirements in the opposite direction.

And how can Faison survive this without being held accountable by 3 different Presidents?

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Ralph bulit a home to house MH and for UND to start up WH and have them both play in The Ralph till 2031, then UND gets the Palace. Till then we play hockey.

I believe UND sports not called football, mens hockey, basketball, or volleyball should be concerned.

I'm not sure what to think about womens hockey. I don't believe there is any sort of "Ralph mandate" but I do know it's an easy match for mens hockey. 

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Ralph bulit a home to house MH and for UND to start up WH and have them both play in The Ralph till 2031, then UND gets the Palace. Till then we play hockey.

Are you sure about this? I don't think that was the case.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, homer said:

I really liked baseball but financially I guess it made sense to cut it. 

That is a good point, folks.  

Baseball had a bigger roster, 1/4 of the scholarships, and 1/4 of the budget of WH and got cut.  Really made sense, not even worth it.

Unless Pres. Trump steals the ink on the front pages of newspapers in ND, the ND legislative budget actions will get the most print on the front pages for the start of this year. The swing in the financial support ND higher education received and may receive from the legislature is huge, here's what I gathered from articles in GF Herald this weekend:

2011-13    $657.8 M

2013-15   $910.6 M

2015-17   $837.8 M (after cuts, which ends June 30)

2017-19   $649.9 M (Dalrymple budget)

$618.9 M (Burgum budget)

HE in ND has some very serious challenges.

And, so does the rest of the state government agencies.

11 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Unless Pres. Trump steals the ink on the front pages of newspapers in ND, the ND legislative budget actions will get the most print on the front pages for the start of this year. The swing in the financial support ND higher education received and may receive from the legislature is huge, here's what I gathered from articles in GF Herald this weekend:

2011-13    $657.8 M

2013-15   $910.6 M

2015-17   $837.8 M (after cuts, which ends June 30)

2017-19   $649.9 M (Dalrymple budget)

$618.9 M (Burgum budget)

HE in ND has some very serious challenges.

And, so does the rest of the state government agencies.

terry bjerke was on knox one day last week or so...made a nice point...south dakota has no income tax and no oil (revenue)....north dakota has an income tax and tons of oil...south dakota regulariily pays their bills normally without a problem....what's the problem up North?