SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so will the 1.5M deficit be taken care of in the next week or so or since we aint dropping any sports this gets kicked to the back burner for a while and nov 1st mean nothing?

November 1 was the cutoff date put in place by Kennedy mainly to have any decision on cutting sports taken care of before National Signing Day on November 9th.

22 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so when attendance goes down bc ticket prices are too high we will back in committee then next year?

But if they raise ticket prices shouldn't the revenue go up?:D Sorry, the political season is wearing on me and I just thought I would try and get used to democrat rule.

Now that the offerings have been decided*, how soon do things start to really get moving on the conference affiliation front.  Will the savings in travel really add up to make up a significant part of the deficit?

*I don't know why, but I just can't shake the feeling that somewhere/sometime that there will be a reversal of this policy at some point.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2016 at 0:10 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

Now that the offerings have been decided*, how soon do things start to really get moving on the conference affiliation front.  Will the savings in travel really add up to make up a significant part of the deficit?

*I don't know why, but I just can't shake the feeling that somewhere/sometime that there will be a reversal of this policy at some point.

Conference affiliation talks are apparently taken place and with that there's potential movement of other teams. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Sports in college cost money and most U's accept that, more like how much? Maybe today cost savings isn't our main priority, where it could be just to become more regional. Regional also helps more with alumni involvement and donations.  What about baseball? Fast Eddie was about cutting in sports, not figuring out a winning scenario. Pres. Kennedy wants a winner. There hasn't been enough said yet about how much money the U gets from our alumni and how important that is to our financial aspect of running the whole U. A successful sports program is an ingredient in most alumni donors appetite's.   And, isn't Pres. Kennedy suppose to have a natural gift of being a great fund raiser?

12 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Conference affiliation talks are apparently taken place and with that there's potential movement of other teams. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Sports in college cost money and most U's accept that, more like how much? Maybe today cost savings isn't our main priority, where it could be just to become more regional. Regional also helps more with alumni involvement and donations.  What about baseball? Fast Eddie was about cutting in sports, not figuring out a winning scenario. Pres. Kennedy wants a winner. There hasn't been enough said yet about how much money the U gets from our alumni and how important that is to our financial aspect of running the whole U. A successful sports program is an ingredient in most alumni donors appetite's.   And, isn't Pres. Kennedy suppose to have a natural gift of being a great fund raiser?

I think that remains to be seen given the fact that he is willing to support 20+ programs, most of which the University cannot possibly fund at a high level.....................

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I think that remains to be seen given the fact that he is willing to support 20+ programs, most of which the University cannot possibly fund at a high level.....................

Ya, all UND sports may not be funded at a high level. Although success in some sports will help with increasing alumni donations, OK! And, Pres. Kennedy has potential there.

We haven't mentioned the UND B1G hockey affiliation lately. This absolutely needs to be included in this thread. The MN goofs think they are dam near in heaven right now. They just tied and beat us; and in the last while they had a very difficult time beating anybody just west of them. Add $90 to $1?? a ticket plus TV, come on? Well they pulled it all off. Lots of $ in a hockey weekend. This is a game changer! The Badgers jaws are still dropped.  The B1G took notice Monday morning. They might (maybe already do) want us and Pres. Kennedy may not say no.  Lot of details to work here, ya even pay NCHC $M bail to get out.

Football and Basketball - men's & women's: have great potential and traditionally have been very competitive in our region. We may have most of our old NCC friends back. Other UND sports may do well with these old chums too, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we had a batter up at the plate again.

Take fund raising to the next level and SS will never be the same either!

Now, LOOK at the big picture:

Athletics is a vital part of the U.

Most AD loose $, but sports also help alumni stay more connected with their alma mater.

Most U alumni donations don't go to the AD.

Adding that up is being done all across the country, but it never shows up on a spread sheet!

PS, I was really really against the Sioux name change, but am slowly warming up to our new name, same ND. I might soon buy my first Hawk apparel.

• Upvote 2

In regards to the budget deficit, UND football averaged about 1,600 more fans this year.  Assuming 5 games at $15 a pop, football just covered about $120,000, and next year should be even better if the team keeps performing.  :bigsmile:  Anyone know what the split is between UND and the alerus center?  I know the financials show 0 revenue for football concessions.

On 11/9/2016 at 1:39 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Ya, all UND sports may not be funded at a high level. Although success in some sports will help with increasing alumni donations, OK! And, Pres. Kennedy has potential there.

We haven't mentioned the UND B1G hockey affiliation lately. This absolutely needs to be included in this thread. The MN goofs think they are dam near in heaven right now. They just tied and beat us; and in the last while they had a very difficult time beating anybody just west of them. Add $90 to $1?? a ticket plus TV, come on? Well they pulled it all off. Lots of $ in a hockey weekend. This is a game changer! The Badgers jaws are still dropped.  The B1G took notice Monday morning. They might (maybe already do) want us and Pres. Kennedy may not say no.  Lot of details to work here, ya even pay NCHC $M bail to get out.

Football and Basketball - men's & women's: have great potential and traditionally have been very competitive in our region. We may have most of our old NCC friends back. Other UND sports may do well with these old chums too, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we had a batter up at the plate again.

Take fund raising to the next level and SS will never be the same either!

Now, LOOK at the big picture:

Athletics is a vital part of the U.

Most AD loose $, but sports also help alumni stay more connected with their alma mater.

Most U alumni donations don't go to the AD.

Adding that up is being done all across the country, but it never shows up on a spread sheet!

PS, I was really really against the Sioux name change, but am slowly warming up to our new name, same ND. I might soon buy my first Hawk apparel.

The UM and  UW hockey teams may want us in the B1G, but they don't have a vote.  Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, OSU etc etc Presidents don't want to besmirk the B1G's Holy Name with a small fry like UND.

Minn is already trying to weasel out of the DQ cup so they can schedule more against UND.  If Iowa, Nebraska,and Rutgers start hockey, UM hockey willeague be hurting again.

On 11/15/2016 at 5:22 PM, SiouxVolley said:

The UM and  UW hockey teams may want us in the B1G, but they don't have a vote.  Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, OSU etc etc Presidents don't want to besmirk the B1G's Holy Name with a small fry like UND.

Minn is already trying to weasel out of the DQ cup so they can schedule more against UND.  If Iowa, Nebraska,and Rutgers start hockey, UM hockey willeague be hurting again.

If another member of the B1G starts hockey, they would not ask for an affiliate to join. That just doesn't seem likely.

Next year with ND, they have a conference of 7. Don't see them staying at 7 too long?

52 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

If another member of the B1G starts hockey, they would not ask for an affiliate to join. That just doesn't seem likely.

Next year with ND, they have a conference of 7. Don't see them staying at 7 too long?

If another B1G team starts hockey, the new team probably wouldn't be playing a B1G schedule until the 3rd season.  UND is not going to accept an affiliate spot, and then accept a B1G eviction  notice  couple or even ten seasons later.  There would have to be guarantees that the affiliation is permanent.   

UND would be better off when the NCHC accepts Ariz St and UNLV and maybe more PAC12 teams.

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

If another B1G team starts hockey, the new team probably wouldn't be playing a B1G schedule until the 3rd season.  UND is not going to accept an affiliate spot, and then accept a B1G eviction  notice  couple or even ten seasons later.  There would have to be guarantees that the affiliation is permanent.   

UND would be better off when the NCHC accepts Ariz St and UNLV and maybe more PAC12 teams.

Your eviction clause would be a must, maybe that's the sticky point in some talks that may have already taken place? Playing the Minn/Wis/ND/Michigans every year would be great for our fans (especially during a period if we had some down years). This B1G hockey conference is going to be a winner some day, because these big schools have many resources, they'll figure it out.

Sure we lead the nation in home attendance, the rest of the NCHC as a whole is a step behind us! These B1G schools draw better than most people on here realize, excluding those empty seats in their tourneys and sure thing things really fell apart in Wisco.

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Interesting article in today's GF Hearld sports page: UND using crowdfunding to raise money.

" A couple of UND athletic programs that were considered for elinination this fall are receiving a financial shot in the arm through a crowdfunding project set up by the Alumni Association. "

Wings Up.

45 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Unsustainable, one-time, special needs type of fundraising.  They still should have cut sports AND done this to help the sports that were left.  I will never understand the 'more revenue, no cutting' philosophy they went with.  

With the rumblings coming out of Bismarck, it is going to be very interesting to hear what their plan is. I'm still as dumbfounded as you on their decision to do nothing.

15 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Unsustainable, one-time, special needs type of fundraising.  They still should have cut sports AND done this to help the sports that were left.  I will never understand the 'more revenue, no cutting' philosophy they went with.  

This.  More money to pay for a new basketball coach and perhaps to pay for some home d1 basketball games, and more money for the assistant football coaches is badly needed.  Instead it's going to softball and swimming and golf.

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

With the rumblings coming out of Bismarck, it is going to be very interesting to hear what their plan is. I'm still as dumbfounded as you on their plan.

< TIN FOIL HAT ALERT > 

Could this be a way to do it anyway but blame Bismarck? 

"Our plan was to save them all, but in light of recent budget allocations out of Bismarck ..."