SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

IAC is not Faison's sandbox; it belongs to University Senate, so the IAC's ineptitude isn't on Faison. 

I can flip a coin between incompetent and other agendas. 

Thanks for clarifying the line of control.    (University Senate has a LOT of competing agendas ...)

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 4:56 PM, UNDBIZ said:

That's 12 sports.  Leaves softball, soccer, M&W tennis, M&W golf, and M&W S&D.

WH is not on the chopping block.  Interesting development!  UND is in budget cuts?

If this committee is to look at cuts and they can't suggest cutting WH to save money, why are they meeting?

Goes with possibility that their is an AGREEMENT that the BUILDING was built to house 2 hockey teams for 30 years. 

Maybe Eddie ran out of time on athletics, and this was handed over to Kennedy, and there's something much bigger going on, FBS football, B1G hockey?????

36 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

GF County web site property search.

1301 N COLUMBIA RD     GRAND FORKS ND 58203

6,504,692 sq ft parcel of land.

http://www.co.grand-forks.nd.us/BYNAME44.HTM?property=44313800001000

No RE property taxes on The Ralph, Bookstore, UND Clinic.

$51,000 in unpaid specials.

UND owns the land. That means the State of North Dakota owns the land. The state does not pay real estate taxes. There are no real estate taxes paid on the rest of the campus either.

Specials are paid over a number of years rather than all in 1 large sum. The state does pay specials. This special assessment started in 2015 and is being paid over a 10 year period.

7 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

UND owns the land. That means the State of North Dakota owns the land. The state does not pay real estate taxes. There are no real estate taxes paid on the rest of the campus either.

Specials are paid over a number of years rather than all in 1 large sum. The state does pay specials. This special assessment started in 2015 and is being paid over a 10 year period.

I understand, just showing that there are no RE property taxes, just those specials.

ralph.jpg

The UND hockey bloggers are apparently quite upset with Kennedy for some reason. Calling him out for things they never called Kelley on and he was much worse. They must be nervous about the potential shift in athletic department priorities. Don't worry, mens hockey will still be #1.

• Upvote 4

That is the one thing about this whole process that I can't seem to to get my head around. If I'm Womens Soccer, I would have to ask the question of why "we"(women's soccer) is on the chopping block and women's hockey isn't.   They have similar number of participants and I would guess similar scholarship requirements.  And I'm guessing that Women's hockey costs significantly more to operate from nearly all stand points. Considering the committee is examining a budgetary shortfall, wouldn't that stand to reason that at least they compare.  

I look at it at the Nickname committee.  Were they not tasked with something that was unique to North Dakota. If that was the case , this was a committee that forwarded a Hawks nickname. How is that unique to North Dakota or even college athletics for that matter anywhere in college athletics? The same can be said said at those examining reduction measures in this instance.  If you are truly are serious about reducing costs, the department, IAC, and president would have to take at least a serious look at Women's Hockey.  

In my observation they aren't taking this process seriously enough if they do not.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, the green team said:

That is the one thing about this whole process that I can't seem to to get my head around. If I'm Womens Soccer, I would have to ask the question of why "we"(women's soccer) is on the chopping block and women's hockey isn't.   They have similar number of participants and I would guess similar scholarship requirements.  And I'm guessing that Women's hockey costs significantly more to operate from nearly all stand points. Considering the committee is examining a budgetary shortfall, wouldn't that stand to reason that at least they compare.  

I look at it at the Nickname committee.  Were they not tasked with something that was unique to North Dakota. If that was the case , this was a committee that forwarded a Hawks nickname. How is that unique to North Dakota or even college athletics for that matter anywhere in college athletics? The same can be said said at those examining reduction measures in this instance.  If you are truly are serious about reducing costs, the department, IAC, and president would have to take at least a serious look at Women's Hockey.  

In my observation they aren't taking this process seriously enough if they do not.

You sure would think the IAC would have to take a serious look at WH because of the huge costs involved, but Pres. Kennedy says no. Sure one can make the argument that the building expenses are there anyway because of MH in The Ralph, but the rest of the expenses in WH are still huge. Something going on here that isn't in the open yet?

Another point. Sports became a part of college life shortly after the U opened it's doors . Sports were never started as a way for the U to make money, there were a whole bunch of other reasons, of which most still hold true today!

11 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

The UND hockey bloggers are apparently quite upset with Kennedy for some reason. Calling him out for things they never called Kelley on and he was much worse. They must be nervous about the potential shift in athletic department priorities. Don't worry, mens hockey will still be #1.

UND hockey is #1, sure they just won their 8th Natty!!!!!!!! There is a huge fan base following hockey. UND has a large fan base that follows football (many of which are also hockey fans), which is coming alive and growing as they are winning. Now you put UND and some of the Big Sky teams in FBS and you might have to change the "Don't worry".

When's the "debate"?  Maybe they'll live stream it!?!  Seriously, what a mess.  It may rival tonight's presidential debate.

On a serious note, I wonder if any coach will attempt to throw another sport under the bus and state "why their sport is a better one to keep".

Would it be better if instead of a live presentation:

A. they asked for just a written report from each coach.

B. they simply made the cuts without any presentations. 

This is another damned if they do damned if they don't situation.

21 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Would it be better if instead of a live presentation:

A. they asked for just a written report from each coach.

B. they simply made the cuts without any presentations. 

This is another damned if they do damned if they don't situation.

we know cuts have to be made.  Would the coach or student/athletes rather the president just make the cuts or the opportunity to present their case to keep the sport.  I don't a better way then the way it is being processed right now. 

If a company is going to layoff an employee or two to cut costs, they don't ask a few of them to make a live presentation in front of the company why they should keep them?

Doesnt "upper management" already know which employees/departments are the most/least valuable? And if they dont, they have a discussion amongst themselves...and if they have a question they don't know the answer to....they ask someone who'd know?

• Upvote 4