SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

45 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Kennedy puts together a committee to provide input on future sports cuts....... THIS COMMITTEE IS A TERRIBLE SIDESHOW AND KENNEDY SHOULD JUST MAKE THE DECISIONS HIMSELF!!!

They're the Intercollegiate Athletics Committee.  This committee existed long before Kennedy or Schafer became President.  The fact they don't know anything about athletics indicates they're bad at this portion of their jobs and they shouldn't be on the committee.  Also, it's been made very clear this committee isn't making any decisions.  They're supposed to gather information and provide advice/options.

As I said before..........nothing more than a Dog and Pony Show. 

Schloss is spot on here.............stop the Clown Show that is the IAC and Kennedy needs to get this over with and bring the hammer. 

........provide advice/options?  A move back to D2 came up...correct?  SHM

From The Schloss:

The first three meetings were spent educating members on basic items of the athletic department. They are not well versed enough to make decisions that could have wide-ranging impact.

The more I think about it the more that the IAC had to be "educated" grates on me. 

Here is their website: http://und.edu/university-senate/committees/intercollegiate-athletic-committee.cfm

They are a standing committee. They existed back in the transition to DI days. This is their wheel-house. It what they exist for. 

And here's one of their primary tasks: 

Review and recommend the annual athletics budget and provide guidance concerning other financial matters of the Intercollegiate Athletics Program.

The key word in there is ANNUAL. They should be aware of what the budget is and what it nominally looks like, they should know enough about "financial matters" of Athletics, to start this process without "education". 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm with you, but the last guy did that and he was a tyrant. Can't. Win. 

To put Kennedy in the same boat as Kelley is disservice to Kennedy.  Kelley was weak from a leadership standpoint from day 1.  Kennedy IMO is the right guy at the right time but he needs get this over with.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

To put Kennedy in the same boat as Kelley is disservice to Kennedy.  Kelley was weak from a leadership standpoint from day 1.  Kennedy IMO is the right guy at the right time but he needs get this over with.

I believe the comparison was being made to Schafer, not Kelley.

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

"forcing the coaches to put on a presentation that probably doesn't matter a single bit, is cruel and does not make one big, happy family at UND."

It's borderline psychotic to have those coaches give a presentation. What could they say to change anything? How degrading / cruel.

I'm with Kennedy on his vision for athletics and do believe programs need to be cut, but look at the numbers and make the cuts. Don't have the coaches try to beg for their sports when it ultimately won't matter.

Agreed on the coaches' presentations.  It seems to me the chair of the IAC, Kenville (yes the chair of the committee is also the idiot who requested the D2 info), enjoys her position of power over the jocks and the ability to force them to beg for their jobs.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Which "anybody"? The faculty on campus? Oh, their knickers were in a twist. Heaven forbid someone actually make and act upon a decision. 

Oh.  Meh.   Nobody is smarter than a member of collegiate academia.  Just ask them.  

• Upvote 1

If at the end of the day, the University gets down to 17 or 18 athletic programs and they join the Summit for all but Football, I'll consider it a great success. To me this seems like the most logical solution that will allow UND to not only save money on a couple non-revenue sports, but also save for travel. Reinvest those saving into the other sports and become more completive across the board. Get it done Kennedy!

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, AJS said:

Anyone else feel when you read about some of the questions / conversations that happen in these committee meetings that you are Luke Wilson in the movie Idiocracy?

That was a movie? I thought it was a documentary. 

2 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Am I the only one who is fascinated/amazed/amused/shocked by the fact that Faison appears to have avoided any public criticism by the media for any of this? 

Both for Schafer and Kennedy?  Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, IAC included, is impressed with his "leadership" on any of this. 

How is this possible?  This is HIS mess as much as it is anyone else's, from many different angles.

I saw a quote from the SWA in Schlossman's article, but nothing from the AD. 

Was he out of the country?  Might as well be.

Why isn't the AD held accountable by the Herald and otherwise in the media?  I do not understand it.

Faison is a apolitical.

Both Schafer and Kennedy are Republicans.  The Forums news very Lib.

26 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Am I the only one who is fascinated/amazed/amused/shocked by the fact that Faison appears to have avoided any public criticism by the media for any of this? 

Both for Schafer and Kennedy?  Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, IAC included, is impressed with his "leadership" on any of this. 

How is this possible?  This is HIS mess as much as it is anyone else's, from many different angles.

I saw a quote from the SWA in Schlossman's article, but nothing from the AD. 

Was he out of the country?  Might as well be.

Why isn't the AD held accountable by the Herald and otherwise in the media?  I do not understand it.

Fasion?  Who is he?  Isn't he the push-up guy?

1 hour ago, AJS said:

"forcing the coaches to put on a presentation that probably doesn't matter a single bit, is cruel and does not make one big, happy family at UND."

It's borderline psychotic to have those coaches give a presentation. What could they say to change anything? How degrading / cruel.

I'm with Kennedy on his vision for athletics and do believe programs need to be cut, but look at the numbers and make the cuts. Don't have the coaches try to beg for their sports when it ultimately won't matter.

Kenville must be an "Apprentice" fan.  How about just sit the HC's down in a boardroom and pit them against each other for their existence?  So stupid.  Add a "Jumping to Conclusions" mat and you have Office Space, academia edition.  Glad it wasn't just me rubbed the wrong way by the "presentations".  

Rare for the public to get an inside peek at a piece of machinery that hasn't been working properly.   That being the IAC.   

As a standing committee they should be well versed on all the issues, as noted by others above.

But I can't figure out (yet) WHY it got this way.   One possibility is that Faison gave it lip service only or less.   Or perhaps the committee members really are incompetent, in which case Faison would have my sympathies.   Or perhaps IAC was overtaken by members with other agendas.  

Going forward, as a key component of being able to demonstrate institutional control, a well functioning IAC is a valuable line of defense (against lawsuits and other challenges).   This seems like another place where we shall see soon how Kennedy runs the shop.

46 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

But I can't figure out (yet) WHY it got this way.   One possibility is that Faison gave it lip service only or less.   Or perhaps the committee members really are incompetent, in which case Faison would have my sympathies.   Or perhaps IAC was overtaken by members with other agendas.  

IAC is not Faison's sandbox; it belongs to University Senate, so the IAC's ineptitude isn't on Faison. 

I can flip a coin between incompetent and other agendas. 

• Upvote 1