SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

There is a reason that Dave St. Peter is listed under the Administration and not Baseball Operations on the Twins website. His whole career has been on the operations side (Pro Shop Manager, Corporate Communications and Business Affairs). He is not responsible for the baseball side of the organization and if it was, with his background I'm not sure how it would make any sense that he would be. I'm sorry if his title is too confusing for you to comprehend but blaming him for that seems odd. If he was responsible for the baseball side, he'd be the General Manager, no different than most other franchises. That is the person who is in charge of the baseball side of organizations.

It might also be helpful to note that in addition to Dave St. Peter's position as president, the team is currently looking for a President of Baseball Operations, which would supervise the General Manager. Several teams have gone to this model rather than having the General Manager as the highest ranking baseball position. The Twins plan to have 2 different people on staff with the title of President, one for administration and one for baseball operations.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

St Peter is talking with the bizon about a game at Target Field, according to a McFeely article, which also says they would project a sell out.  FBS conferences would take notes if a sell out happens.  Thanks Mr St. Peter.

I would guess they would make the monetary side work but how are they going to give up a home game for this? I thought we were told that their fans and the Fargo community required 6 regular session home games per year? Check off another excuse as BS. 

Not to mention they are looking at a baseball stadium when there is a shiny brand new football stadium just across downtown. Must not have as much faith in the fan base as some of their fans. 

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I would guess they would make the monetary side work but how are they going to give up a home game for this? I thought we were told that their fans and the Fargo community required 6 regular session home games per year? Check off another excuse as BS. 

Not to mention they are looking at a baseball stadium when there is a shiny brand new football stadium just across downtown. Must not have as much faith in the fan base as some of their fans. 

One would think Vikings Stadium would be more appropriate, but Target Field seems to want a game.  NDSU might try an FCS opener again, that would be televised by ESPN, and we wouldn't be the their opponent.  If the Twins are on a ten day road trip, an opening could work out.  Target has hosted soccer, so it should have room.

But to me, this goes to show that a bigger fancier stadium on campus, like the REA, is needed to energize the fan base and propel the team to a higher level.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

They could also schedule the game on a year they allow 12 games. You also dont know who initiated the conversation. Sounds as though it was St Peter who approached the Bison about a game.  I personally would prefer a FB stadium to play the game in. I hate FB in a BB stadium. But nothing is in stone. Its 50-50 at this juncture. And no I do not want to give up a home game unless its a great opponent.

Man you gotta quit eating those sour grapes.:D

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, bison73 said:

They could also schedule the game on a year they allow 12 games. You also dont know who initiated the conversation. Sounds as though it was St Peter who approached the Bison about a game. 

Man you gotta quit eating those sour grapes.:D

That is a possibility but I believe 2019 is the only 12 game season until 2024 and 2025, so they are pretty limited on options if so.

Where exactly did you get that St. Peter was the one that approached NDSU? If it's from the article, that is a pretty big stretch from St. Peter saying that Target Field is always looking to host events, which is no secret. Football has been talked about for years there. 

No sour grapes on my part, I've been to a handful of gimmick some are more fun than others. Just general amusement in what appears to be another scheduling "necessity" possibly being tossed aside along with them looking at doing it in a baseball stadium when there is a beautiful brand new football stadium right there. 

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

That is a possibility but I believe 2019 is the only 12 game season until 2024 and 2025, so they are pretty limited on options if so.

Where exactly did you get that St. Peter was the one that approached NDSU? If it's from the article, that is a pretty big stretch from St. Peter saying that Target Field is always looking to host events, which is no secret. Football has been talked about for years there. 

No sour grapes on my part, I've been to a handful of gimmick some are more fun than others. Just general amusement in what appears to be another scheduling "necessity" possibly being tossed aside along with them looking at doing it in a baseball stadium when there is a beautiful brand new football stadium right there. 

I dont understand the baseball thing either. FB in a BB stadium sucks.

Some interesting enrollment facts:

Montana 2011 enrollment:  15,669

UM 2016 enrollment:  12,419

Montana St 2016 enrollment:  16,640

MSU 2011 enrollment:  approximately UM's enrollment now

MSU even has higher liberal arts majors with higher enrollment than UM.

UND should be very thankful for its Schools of Aerospace, Engineering and Mines, and Medicine, or else we'd could be looking at a worse problem than Missoulla.

How Kennedy deals with increasing or at least steadying the enrollment will go a long way in determining his legacy.  There is plenty of classroom space for expansion if the SBOHE sees fit to allowing it.

okay...less than 30 days til the "big cuts"...i'm sure kennedy has chosen which sports to cut...any indicators out there yet in terms of commits to each sport because kenndy didn't what this to drag on bc of recruit commits?  are we still gettiing recruits for whockey, softball, soccer, m&w swimming and diving?

and when he does announce as bad as i will feel for the programs/people being dropped it will be a long time coming to pump some much needed money and attention into the non-hadju sports....

first check needs to go to either bubba or schmidty (because we need to see him as the successor of bubba and not let him leave)

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Based on recent history with the baseball cut, the coaches won't know before most anyone else.  So recruiting won't be much of an indicator.

that was before kennedy tho...i'm thinking he will let them know before wayne nelson tweets that soccer has been cut (during the game too)

2 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Cut one sport that gives you nothing back and save 1.5 million...... 

Or cut four sports to try and achieve the same thing and at same time cutting roughly 3x as many collegiate athletic opportunities for kids so one program can be saved.  A program that gives out 50% of their opportunities to kids from Canada/Europe.  Goes back to Champions Club fundraising as well.  Less S/A's on campus, less donors in the future.  

I know they need to cut programs but just seems so stupid to keep ignoring a major hole in your spreadsheet.

^^^^^this...very well put.

5 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Cut one sport that gives you nothing back and save 1.5 million...... 

Or cut four sports to try and achieve the same thing and at same time cutting roughly 3x as many collegiate athletic opportunities for kids so one program can be saved.  A program that gives out 50% of their opportunities to kids from Canada/Europe.  Goes back to Champions Club fundraising as well.  Less S/A's on campus, less donors in the future.  

I know they need to cut programs but just seems so stupid to keep ignoring a major hole in your spreadsheet.

I agree but who are we to say.

19 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

... I really hope they consider attributing a fair amount of REA expenses to the WIH program and cut other areas of the WIH budget by that amount in order to pay for it.  

Agree. I'd like to see (as previously discussed) the programs that use REA in any way (MIH, WIH, MBB, WBB, WVB, WSoc) pay in proportion to actual use of the facility by the program. 

Putting all the expense to just MIH would not stand up to any sort of GAAP* audit in the real world. 

*Associate the expense to the entity that undertook the expense. GM doesn't put the expense of the GMC truck plant under the Chevy Impala plant's expenses.