SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

45 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

That's 12 sports.  Leaves softball, soccer, M&W tennis, M&W golf, and M&W S&D.

m & w tennis and w golf are required by the BSC

m golf is being funded by outside sources

softball, soccer and m & w swimming/diving are not required by BSC. Is there enough funding reduction in these to meet the objective?

3 minutes ago, zonadub said:

m & w tennis and w golf are required by the BSC

m golf is being funded by outside sources

softball, soccer and m & w swimming/diving are not required by BSC. Is there enough funding reduction in these to meet the objective?

Individually no, and eliminating all of them would likely cause Title 9 issues. Gotta remember moving out of the BSC is very possible.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

That's 12 sports.  Leaves softball, soccer, M&W tennis, M&W golf, and M&W S&D.

Who exactly told the IAC this?

This committee has been a worse idea than I originally thought. And I originally thought it would be a disaster.

Brad seems to be very consistent on this. 

1. Where'd the "safe" list (MIH, WIH, FB, VB, MBB, WBB, ITF, OTF, XC) come from? I'm pretty sure that committee isn't that smart on their own. 
1a. That's 6 mens and 6 womens sports for 12. (Props to "PC Principal" for counting correctly.) 

2. Are we sure this isn't Kennedy making "nice-nice" with the University Senate (and their IAC subcommittee)? Let them feel like they got to give input; however, do not forget that Kennedy said when this was started the final decisions were his and his alone (and to be done once). 

6 minutes ago, cberkas said:

So I take it, this mean UND to the Summit?

That's a pretty large assumptive leap right there.

The Summit plays everything we play right now (except hockey, and doesn't sponsor FB). As is today we'd be short mens soccer and baseball team to play all 19 Summit sports. (Side note: NDSU doesn't play Summit mens soccer, tennis or S&D, or womens S&D or tennis.) 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's a pretty large assumptive leap right there.

The Summit plays everything we play right now (except hockey, and doesn't sponsor FB). As is today we'd be short mens soccer and baseball team to play all 19 Summit sports. (Side note: NDSU doesn't play Summit mens soccer, tennis or S&D, or womens S&D or tennis.) 

they gots the wrasslin''''' tho...

53 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Individually no, and eliminating all of them would likely cause Title 9 issues. Gotta remember moving out of the BSC is very possible.

You sure about that?  UND is already super compliant and will need to relocate some of the Mens hockey expenses to women's departments.

15 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I was pretty well convinced that W hockey wasn't going anywhere.  It would be tough to sell politically.

remember these are just recomendations...he still can drop them...why would it be politically tough?  only about 300 people go to the games and 290 of them are parents....

Really depends if we are looking at Football in the Big Sky and moving everything else?

If that is the plan, then everything except Men's Hockey, Football, Men's Golf, Womens Basketball, Womens Golf, Womens Soccer, and Volleyball should be on the table.

If we have title 9 issues we could always add Women's rowing which seems to be the scam some other schools pull. 20 schollies and huge participation numbers apparently. Iowa has nearly  100 on their roster, the Gophs have around 50. I am betting some of these girls are walking around campus and are not even aware they are on the team at Iowa unless they really need depth....Meet Susie, she is our 47th string bow seater and a valuable member of our 11th scout team in the 8's and she leads our 23rd scout team in the 4's.;)

After that the sports that should remain or be brought back in order would be

Womens Softball

Baseball

Wrestling

Womens Track and Field/Cross Country

Mens Track and Field/Cross Country

Womens Tennis

Mens Tennis

Women's Hockey

Womens Swimming and Diving

Mens Swimming and Diving

18 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

remember these are just recomendations...he still can drop them...why would it be politically tough?  only about 300 people go to the games and 290 of them are parents....

I'm not saying I agree with the decision but don't think it will go.  

The difficult political part is that it gets a lot of media attention and is a perennial top 10 program in the country.   I know there aren't many teams that play women's hockey but they are consistently in the top 10.

290 parents would be 11 parents per player on the roster.  :)

58 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

You sure about that?  UND is already super compliant and will need to relocate some of the Mens hockey expenses to women's departments.

Get the impression nothing is certain when it comes to Title 9, but that would be a reduction of 34 women's scholarships and just 5 men's, 10 if you include baseball. Would put us at about 95 men's scholarships and 75 women's, per 2015 scholarship numbers. 

Another insightful tweet from Schlossman.

Brad E. Schlossman Retweeted Jason McLean

Nothing bad was said. I don't think this committee wields any power. I think it is just an unnecessary show at the expense of others.

=======================

Agree with all of that except the word "unnecessary". Its a way for the faculty to feel they had involvement, and at the end of the day faculty is where a lot of power resides. So Kennedy had to follow tradition, genuflect to the faculty ... and we shall see soon how decisions get made at UND during his tenure.

• Upvote 1