SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

- the Hyslop pool needs work 

Hyslop pool had ~$500,000 in work done to its filtration system in the last few years.  New starting blocks were just purchased (within the last 18 months, ~$30,000).  Hyslop pool remains as one of best aquatic facilities in the area despite its age.  It is the fastest pool around.

31 minutes ago, BisonMac said:

Hyslop pool had ~$500,000 in work done to its filtration system in the last few years.  New starting blocks were just purchased (within the last 18 months, ~$30,000).  Hyslop pool remains as one of best aquatic facilities in the area despite its age.  It is the fastest pool around.

they also put a decent amount of work into kraft field knowing that it would be cut soon...not good planning

3 hours ago, BisonMac said:

I do not know if you are correct or not; however, I've been told the pool is leaking and needs work. I may be wrong, but it was from a reasonable source. 

3 hours ago, BisonMac said:

Are there seriously fast and slow pools? Is that a thing? 

9 hours ago, nodak651 said:

This is a BIG question that I would love to see get answered.  Perhaps Rob Port could help.  

The Ralph's taxes are easily found free online. It's pretty interesting stuff.

The Ralph has plenty of retained earnings to pay for these budget shortfalls.

Faison: "Hey guys I see you have three million extra this year in retained earnings vs last year. As you know our budget is over by a million... think we could have one of the two back we gave you?

Jody: "We need that for the next locker room renovation coming up."

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, jdub27 said:

You're assuming that those are hard costs/real money. I would bet that isn't necessarily the case, however they are still "costs" that need to be appropriated somewhere. On top of that, money UND does pay is indirectly helping funding the Betty and some of the improvements to the REA. It is also doesn't take into account the money that flows back to UND from the REA Foundation.

It is a strange and complex relationship with a lot of moving parts, though I believe set up to be in the best interest of UND in the long run. UND should see a lot of benefit from some things that may look a little off now in about 14 years or so.

Agree with all of this. REA was built to house UND hockey (men's and women's). Just hope UND can run it as well when the 14 years are up.

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Question: Are the bonds on The Betty paid off?
Normally creditors want to see some retained earnings to show cash flow and to help guarantee and secure any obligations. 

9 hours ago, Cratter said:

The Ralph's taxes are easily found free online. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Faison: "Hey guys I see you have three million extra this year in retained earnings vs last year. As you know our budget is over by a million... think we could have one of the two back we gave you?

Jody: "We need that for the next locker room renovation coming up."

Locker room renovations were paid for with private donations. Things like the new boards in the hockey arena and the new video boards in the Betty are paid for with excess operating funds.

Curious which of the entities you are using to come up with your retained earnings numbers. Retained earnings doesn't necessarily mean cash available to do with as you please. And though I'm not sure where it is coming from, having a replacement reserve fund of at least that size is probably accurate if not a bit low due to the possible costs of replacing certain elements of the building.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Question: Are the bonds on The Betty paid off?
Normally creditors want to see some retained earnings to show cash flow and to help guarantee and secure any obligations. 

Roughly $2.5 million remaining. Guessing it will be paid off in around 5 more years.

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I do not know if you are correct or not; however, I've been told the pool is leaking and needs work. I may be wrong, but it was from a reasonable source. 

You can go to Hyslop and see the new blocks they are very nice.  They for sure redid the filtration system, the pool was closed (until this summer I was at Hyslop pool pretty much daily) and I personally saw the contractors and the work being done.

21 minutes ago, BisonMac said:

You can go to Hyslop and see the new blocks they are very nice.  They for sure redid the filtration system, the pool was closed (until this summer I was at Hyslop pool pretty much daily) and I personally saw the contractors and the work being done.

Good info.  Any input on the leak rumor?

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Things like the new boards in the hockey arena and the new video boards in the Betty are paid for with excess operating funds.

I wasn't being literal as it was an "upcoming locker room renovation" (not one in the past), and then you just listed a bunch of upgrades recently done to the Ralph proving the point.

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Good info.  Any input on the leak rumor?

I don't think there is a significant leak associated with the pool.  There was a issue over the summer where the pool was using unusually high levels of chemicals, one reason for that would be a leak.  The identified and corrected issue was the collapse of a fairly large pipe in the filtration system, a vacuum was created that collapsed a 4"-6" pipe, it looked like a collapsed straw.  The pool was closed for about 2 weeks for that repair.  The only upcoming issue at Hyslop that I know of is the aging scoreboard system, it still works it is just getting old and requires a computer with an outdated operating system to run (I believe it needs Windows 2000 NT).

On 10/4/2016 at 0:29 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Above the line: MIH, WIH, FB, MBB, WBB, VB, ITF, OTF, XC (12 teams, 6 M, 6 W). 

The netherworld: MGolf (self-funded and endowed for two season)

Below the line: WSoc, WSoft, WGolf, M/W Tennis, M/W S&D.

Here's my take:
- as noted by SV, the Above the Line group all has new facilities (since 2000) -- Ralph, Alerus, HPC -- that's a "tell" in my mind
- soccer uses the HPC and it is participation numbers to balance FB
- with the demise of baseball, softball should worry
- tennis plays at city-owned off-campus facility
- the Hyslop pool needs work 

And they dropped the new aquatic center from the student fitness center before it was built. 

Do it publicly: sideshow. Do it privately: tyrant. Can't. Win. 

And if the IAC had to be educated about the Athletic department, what the < bleep > have they been doing? They are a standing committee of the University Senate tasked with overseeing intercollegiate athletics. They are a group that is mandated by NCAA membership (shows institutional control and oversight). 

Finally, as I've said all along, the IAC being involved is a nice-nice play by Kennedy because he's already said it's his decision and he's going to do it once. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

I wasn't being literal as it was an "upcoming locker room renovation" (not one in the past), and then you just listed a bunch of upgrades recently done to the Ralph proving the point.

Are you suggesting they don't do the upgrades? Then you are in a scenario where either UND has to pay for them now or in the future when they take over the building and it is in a run-down shape. Like I said, I believe it is set up to be very beneficial to UND in the long-run at the expense of some short-term pain.