SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

22 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Patty V just said within the last week or two that the MVFC has zero interest or intention of adding any additional teams, so I'm going to go with no, it still is not an option.

But it makes more sense......

15 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I guess my disgust with this all is pretty straightforward: once NDSU loses in the playoffs (or perhaps twice over a couple seasons), their expectations and egos will fall to the point where UND will finally be viewed as a viable scheduling target. It's upsetting that NDSU is so conceited that they will lie about their scheduling strategy just to allow them (administration, fans, boosters, etc.) to live in their own dreamland (one where NDSU football is so superior it should function independently of a 100+ year rival). 

I am fairly certain that NDSU's stance on scheduling UND (has nothing to do with FCS terms; it's purely UND) will change once they stop winning national championships in the next year or two.

As much as we all want to see the Bison football team lay and egg and have a losing season and not make the playoffs, If I was a betting man, I wouldn't take that bet.  That would be like a St Cloud St. fan hping UND hockey missed the playoffs for 2 or so years in a row.  The Bison have one of the best programs in the FCS.  As much as I hate to say it, that isn't going to change anytime soon.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

As much as we all want to see the Bison football team lay and egg and have a losing season and not make the playoffs, If I was a betting man, I wouldn't take that bet.  That would be like a St Cloud St. fan hping UND hockey missed the playoffs for 2 or so years in a row.  The Bison have one of the best programs in the FCS.  As much as I hate to say it, that isn't going to change anytime soon.  

Nothing lasts forever. Just look at the Atlanta Braves in MLB.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Nothing lasts forever. Just look at the Atlanta Braves in MLB.

Of course NDSU can't sustain this level of success. Winning a championship every year is an impossible standard to hold up. However, given that NDSU has had sustainable success for the last 50 years, it's unlikely they would ever drop off in a significant way for extended periods of time. UND hockey is probably a great analogue to NDSU football. UND may have down years, but the competition always fears UND when they see them on the schedule. Even in down years UND hockey is formidable. Same with NDSU football. I obviously don't see them winning championships every year from here til eternity. But I do expect that the fanbase has a competitive expectation and if we ever saw a 2-3 year significant downturn, major changes would be made to return to competitiveness.

16 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Of course NDSU can't sustain this level of success. Winning a championship every year is an impossible standard to hold up. However, given that NDSU has had sustainable success for the last 50 years, it's unlikely they would ever drop off in a significant way for extended periods of time. UND hockey is probably a great analogue to NDSU football. UND may have down years, but the competition always fears UND when they see them on the schedule. Even in down years UND hockey is formidable. Same with NDSU football. I obviously don't see them winning championships every year from here til eternity. But I do expect that the fanbase has a competitive expectation and if we ever saw a 2-3 year significant downturn, major changes would be made to return to competitiveness.

I would point to the early 2000's as an example of how Bison football is not immune to the occasional down periods. UND hockey was down in the early 1990's. And in both cases, changes were made at the top.

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I would point to the early 2000's as an example of how Bison football is not immune to the occasional down periods. UND hockey was down in the early 1990's. And in both cases, changes were made at the top.

Both of those examples of lower than standard performances, in my mind, are the exceptions that prove the rule so to speak. Most schools would have been extremely happy with the outcomes of ndsu's seasons in the early 2000's(02 being an exception), but because the program has such high expectations changes were made much more quickly than they might have at another school. That expectation level would take decades of losing to go away.

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Never said they will miss the playoffs. Definitely never said that. However, I certainly implied NDSU will eventually cease to go undefeated in the playoffs. There has to be more parity than that. 

11 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

http://www.inforum.com/opinion/letters/4091597-letter-forum-conducts-witch-hunt-against-ndsu-president

This is great! According to this guy, NDSU's and the President's recent problems are all UND's fault! 

I've never understood why people think there is a slant in the legislature to UND. Just a quick look at the leadership 4 are UND grads and 6 from NDSU.