SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

16 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I’d be curious as to why you believe that about NFL teams. Each NFL club spends millions to evaluate potential players. They watch lots of film over years to evaluate not only ability but potential. They will know before spending millions on a player how well these numbers transfer to game speed and quickness etc. If you would have commented that there are media people who focus on off season numbers I might agree.  
The better college programs watch film and often will also watch them in their other sports. We used to watch how well potential recruits moved their feet playing BB. One of the reasons colleges want to get potential recruits to their camps is to see if their reported strength, speed and stats are accurate and how they stack up against other recruits. 

RIP Al Davis but he would usually draft a couple of the workout warriors that killed it at the combine and didn’t have the best film.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

RIP Al Davis but he would usually draft a couple of the workout warriors that killed it at the combine and didn’t have the best film.

Ok, depending on how far back one wants to go it wasn’t uncommon. The athletes that may be under the radar and have great workouts now have film. Occasionally, a team will sign a guy who didn’t play college FB but it’s usually a FA contract. 

On 3/17/2023 at 4:14 PM, iramurphy said:

I’d be curious as to why you believe that about NFL teams. Each NFL club spends millions to evaluate potential players. They watch lots of film over years to evaluate not only ability but potential. They will know before spending millions on a player how well these numbers transfer to game speed and quickness etc. If you would have commented that there are media people who focus on off season numbers I might agree.  
The better college programs watch film and often will also watch them in their other sports. We used to watch how well potential recruits moved their feet playing BB. One of the reasons colleges want to get potential recruits to their camps is to see if their reported strength, speed and stats are accurate and how they stack up against other recruits. 

And yet the NFL draft remains one gigantic crap shoot. As does college recruiting.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And yet the NFL draft remains one gigantic crap shoot. As does college recruiting.

Yes, it’s certainly not an exact science. Lots of first round busts in the NFL and many promising hs players never get on the field in college. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I really believe Hoos can play in the NFL.  If he gets the chance he will succeed.

I wish we had him for 4 years.  But Danny needs a bonus for providing the year he had at UND.

https://nfldraftdiamonds.com/2023/04/tyler-hoosman-2/

Agreed. I honestly believe he has the vision and power to be an NFL back if given a chance. 

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

I really believe Hoos can play in the NFL.  If he gets the chance he will succeed.

I wish we had him for 4 years.  But Danny needs a bonus for providing the year he had at UND.

https://nfldraftdiamonds.com/2023/04/tyler-hoosman-2/

I still remember the week of the UNI game, their fans laughing about how their 3rd-4th string RB was now our #1 RB.  The laugh was on them.  I think he will at least make a practice squad somewhere, hopefully he is at least given a shot.   Nice to see him wearing the North Dakota shirt in the interview.  If he does make it at the next level......definitely a big thanks to the North Dakota football program........with honorable mention going to Weah :)

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bonus? Next HC at UND? Bubba to AD or AA?

Whoever the next coach is at UND better be someone who in the interview says that he will bring in a mix of experience and rising young coaches to be his asssitants and he plans on winning enough that he is at UND for 5 years before moiving on to his better, bigger job.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Head coaching contracts tend to include a two way buyout clause. If the school wants to fire a coach before the of the contract the buyout is in the contract. If the coach wants to leave early, there should be a buyout clause with cost to get out of contract. (Often paid by the new employer). 

It seems Bubba has been doing what you mentioned regarding assistants. Without looking up to see who I missed:  Eric Schmidt, Jordan Gigli, Robbie Rouse, Steven Crutchley are a few that have been on the move. 
Freund, Pawlak, Flyger, and (despite his detractors on this forum) Kostich are all young coaches who will likely have opportunities for successful coaching careers. I think considering assistant coaching salaries, that is impressive. 
Bubba, his staff and these players all plan on winning. I believe Bubba’s focus is accomplishing his goal of conference championships, annual playoff runs and ultimately a national championship. I don’t believe he is thinking about possible future opportunities unless those goals are accomplished.  

Most of us are getting impatient, some are frustrated and want to start over. Either way, until contract time it doesn’t matter. 

To me, this will be the most important year for Bubba. We have gone through the struggles of the move to FCS, the struggles of finding a conference, the success of winning a conference championship (albeit  The Great West), the struggles of switching conferences, then the excitement and optimism by winning the Big Sky followed by the frustration of laying an egg in the playoffs. The program is disrupted again with a move to a new conference a playoff appearance, another laid egg then the success of a conference championship followed by another laid egg, followed by another playoff year with limited success ultimately ending in failure so far to reach our ultimate goal. 

To his credit Bubba has steered the ship through some rough waters. Facilities are much improved but not there yet. Asst salaries have a ways to go yet. (Bubba has given part of his salary to go to asst salaries). I believe Chaves sees and feels any change would be too big of a setback. Despite all of the thorough vetting of potential replacements by our forum folks, I haven’t seen anything that would indicate making a change. Every time contracts are renewed would be the opportunity to re-evaluate the need for change. 
Just my opinion. 

This right here.  Bubba is helping staff from becoming even more of a revolving door.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Head coaching contracts tend to include a two way buyout clause. If the school wants to fire a coach before the of the contract the buyout is in the contract. If the coach wants to leave early, there should be a buyout clause with cost to get out of contract. (Often paid by the new employer). 

It seems Bubba has been doing what you mentioned regarding assistants. Without looking up to see who I missed:  Eric Schmidt, Jordan Gigli, Robbie Rouse, Steven Crutchley are a few that have been on the move. 
Freund, Pawlak, Flyger, and (despite his detractors on this forum) Kostich are all young coaches who will likely have opportunities for successful coaching careers. I think considering assistant coaching salaries, that is impressive. 
Bubba, his staff and these players all plan on winning. I believe Bubba’s focus is accomplishing his goal of conference championships, annual playoff runs and ultimately a national championship. I don’t believe he is thinking about possible future opportunities unless those goals are accomplished.  

Most of us are getting impatient, some are frustrated and want to start over. Either way, until contract time it doesn’t matter. 

To me, this will be the most important year for Bubba. We have gone through the struggles of the move to FCS, the struggles of finding a conference, the success of winning a conference championship (albeit  The Great West), the struggles of switching conferences, then the excitement and optimism by winning the Big Sky followed by the frustration of laying an egg in the playoffs. The program is disrupted again with a move to a new conference a playoff appearance, another laid egg then the success of a conference championship followed by another laid egg, followed by another playoff year with limited success ultimately ending in failure so far to reach our ultimate goal. 

To his credit Bubba has steered the ship through some rough waters. Facilities are much improved but not there yet. Asst salaries have a ways to go yet. (Bubba has given part of his salary to go to asst salaries). I believe Chaves sees and feels any change would be too big of a setback. Despite all of the thorough vetting of potential replacements by our forum folks, I haven’t seen anything that would indicate making a change. Every time contracts are renewed would be the opportunity to re-evaluate the need for change. 
Just my opinion. 

I appreciate and respect your opinion and think Bubba has done an average job with the hand he had to play. I think we missed the boat in not hiring DeBoer when we had the chance.

In short I don't think UND should be a final destination spot for a Football or Basketball coach.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I appreciate and respect your opinion and think Bubba has done an average job with the hand he had to play. I think we missed the boat in not hiring DeBoer when we had the chance.

In short I don't think UND should be a final destination spot for a Football or Basketball coach.

No disagreement here on either point. The first ship has sailed years ago so for me it’s a moot point. Agree with your second comment but with certain exceptions. (Successful program, likely veteran coach with personal reasons for staying). 

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2023 at 9:50 AM, iramurphy said:

To his credit Bubba has steered the ship through some rough waters. Facilities are much improved but not there yet. Asst salaries have a ways to go yet. (Bubba has given part of his salary to go to asst salaries). I believe Chaves sees and feels any change would be too big of a setback. Despite all of the thorough vetting of potential replacements by our forum folks, I haven’t seen anything that would indicate making a change would be beneficial right now. Every time contracts are renewed would be the opportunity to re-evaluate the need for change. 
Just my opinion. 

Okokokok Clapping GIF - Okokokok Clapping Hands GIFs

fiserv forum nba GIF by Milwaukee Bucks