SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

On 4/13/2023 at 9:50 AM, iramurphy said:

I believe Bubba’s focus is accomplishing his goal of conference championships, annual playoff runs and ultimately a national championship. I don’t believe he is thinking about possible future opportunities unless those goals are accomplished.

After a decade, he has failed at these goals. Perhaps he can self-scout and improve, but it is skeptical.  

• Downvote 1

On 4/13/2023 at 9:50 AM, iramurphy said:

Most of us are getting impatient, some are frustrated and want to start over. Either way, until contract time it doesn’t matter. 

His contract situation is perpetuated by UND AD, Chaves. It’s intentional, not an accident. Questions should be [rightfully] directed to him on what the true goals and expectations for UND FB are. They don’t seem too high based on timing of contract extensions. That is disappointing, and partial source of the impatience and frustration you cite. 

• Downvote 1

On 4/13/2023 at 10:21 AM, Nodak78 said:

This right here.  Bubba is helping staff from becoming even more of a revolving door.

I’d argue the best thing you can do for your staff is not handouts like Bubba is doing, but rather actually winning and then moving to a bigger program. See Craig Bohl to Wyoming and Chris Klieman to Kansas State. Now those resulting promotions are what helps the assistants …

As someone else mentioned on here, UND football should *not* be the final destination for head coaches. It clearly is right now for Bubba, and that breeds the program’s staleness. 

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’d argue the best thing you can do for your staff is not handouts like Bubba is doing, but rather actually winning and then moving to a bigger program. See Craig Bohl to Wyoming and Chris Klieman to Kansas State. Now those resulting promotions are what helps the assistants …

As someone else mentioned on here, UND football should *not* be the final destination for head coaches. It clearly is right now for Bubba, and that breeds the program’s staleness. 

Bring a big check and things will otherwise keep banging your head on a brick wall.  $$$$$$$.

28 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Bring a big check and things will otherwise keep banging your head on a brick wall.  $$$$$$$.

Same to you. 

But you’ve oversimplified: NDSU’s FB budget isn’t exponentially greater than UND’s.

Expectations and philosophy are independent of funding. UND lacks in these areas. 

• Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Do you think Bubba and the staff would not accept a FBS offer if it came?  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

His contract situation is perpetuated by UND AD, Chaves. It’s intentional, not an accident. Questions should be [rightfully] directed to him on what the true goals and expectations for UND FB are. They don’t seem too high based on timing of contract extensions. That is disappointing, and partial source of the impatience and frustration you cite. 

Even if Bubba is somehow eased out (or pushed out) I can foresee his replacement coming from within or strong past connection.  That's the UND way and it's not working.  Ask NDSU if it always works to stay within your ranks.   They went back to the well one too many times and now Entz and Roehl are steadily running the program into the ground.

If you're going to make changes, then make changes.   I've used this word before:  Inbreeding

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Even if Bubba is somehow eased out (or pushed out) I can foresee his replacement coming from within or strong past connection.  That's the UND way and it's not working.  Ask NDSU if it always works to stay within your ranks.   They went back to the well one too many times and now Entz and Roehl are steadily running the program into the ground.

If you're going to make changes, then make changes.   I've used this word before:  Inbreeding

Most likely scenario is Bubba retires or moves on to a leadership position in the athletic department and Freund gets promoted to HC. Not sure when that will happen, or if Freund will be a major upgrade. If UND loses Freund before this happens because of Bubba and Chaves’ stubbornness, then UND will have to look elsewhere. 

As for inbreeding, this is definitely an issue. It’s been an issue for UND and Bubba. It’s potentially an issue with NDSU, but they’ve ultimately done fine with Entz and Roehl - back to back FCS championship games the past two seasons and one championship. UND football would kill for that, let’s be honest. NDSU does expectations/philosophy on a way different level than UND. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Most likely scenario is Bubba retires or moves on to a leadership position in the athletic department and Freund gets promoted to HC. Not sure when that will happen, or if Freund will be a major upgrade. If UND loses Freund before this happens because of Bubba and Chaves’ stubbornness, then UND will have to look elsewhere. 

As for inbreeding, this is definitely an issue. It’s been an issue for UND and Bubba. It’s potentially an issue with NDSU, but they’ve ultimately done fine with Entz and Roehl - back to back FCS championship games the past two seasons and one championship. UND football would kill for that, let’s be honest. NDSU does expectations/philosophy on a way different level than UND. 

I'm glad to see NDSU failing.  Sure looked bad in Frisco, so I'm fine with Entz too, but I wonder if their fans feel the same way.

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

After a decade, he has failed at these goals. Perhaps he can self-scout and improve, but it is skeptical.  

After a decade, he hasn’t reached all of his goals. I pointed out the ups and downs and frustrations for Bubba, his staff, us as fans and especially the players. He has had some success. For those who feel the successes and failures of an athletic team affect their social standing, their identity, and their happiness in life,  it must be awful.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1