SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Atmosphere

GeauxSioux

2 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

I think the lights had to do with the band. A couple of band member last year or the year before I believe had seizures when the lights went out. 

The reasoning I have always been given is that it takes too long for them to come back on.

At The Ralph they have shutters that close in front of the main rink lighting. The lights are always on; they just close or open the shutters. 

At The Alerus they'd have to shut them off and then turn them back on and that type of lighting is slow to come back up. 

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

If everyone brings a friend or two, we'll be full.  I have a new group coming this year, trying to do my part.

Also, we have to make tailgating an event, make the scene 'cool'.  The administration needs to help.

I've been trying to get a UND wrap on my RV.......and hitting a lot of road blocks on design and licensing.  UND needs to get their act together.  The conversation should go like this with UND.

gundy "I want to wrap my RV for tailgating even though it will annoy my wife on how much it costs"

UND "Great, here is a list of licensed designers and approved installers"  "We also have some design ideas to get you started"

gundy " Roll-Tribe"

Keep up the good work!

I am going to drag my two Brothers to the game against NAU. One of them is a bandwagon Bison fan so I have to convincing to do.

17 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

If everyone brings a friend or two, we'll be full.  I have a new group coming this year, trying to do my part.

Also, we have to make tailgating an event, make the scene 'cool'.  The administration needs to help.

I've been trying to get a UND wrap on my RV.......and hitting a lot of road blocks on design and licensing.  UND needs to get their act together.  The conversation should go like this with UND.

gundy "I want to wrap my RV for tailgating even though it will annoy my wife on how much it costs"

UND "Great, here is a list of licensed designers and approved installers"  "We also have some design ideas to get you started"

gundy " Roll-Tribe"

I agree - I intend to continue the "Sioux Shots" at tailgating until they rip the shot board from my cold......" The tailgaters are already a very welcoming group now imagine if it was double or trip the number. 

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Saw I had a personal message on twitter...and to my surprise it was from bubba:

Cool to see him going above and beyond to help do his part.

I got that message a week or two ago as well!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

gundy " Roll-Tribe"

can you let me know how it's going for you on getting a wrap done/decals? I need to get some logo's on the bad boy in my profile picture

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

The reasoning I have always been given is that it takes too long for them to come back on.

Then why did they always have them off during the past years? I always liked the lights dim for the National Anthem following the intro; thought it was a nice touch. Now they could shoot off the pyrotechnics during it ("bombs bursting in air") as several other sporting venues do. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ND1 said:

Just spoke to Bubba about the Alerus the other day.  He assures me the lights will be off again for the introduction and they are working with ICON on doing some better things with video boards.  Bubba is all about the atmosphere and said the Alerus is on board as well.

Very good to hear !!!

Very good!! I look forward to this as will most other UND fans.

7 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

gundy " Roll-Tribe"

Best of luck on this! It would look great and add to the tailgating atmoshphere tremendously!

I know some NDSU fellas that have done this with a large bus and it really turned out nice (minus the piss yellow and, of course, their allegiance with the school to the south). I think it adds to the tailgate atmosphere and general fan perception. Seeing such things while tailgating leaves a positive impression amongst average fans. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 11:41 PM, WeAreNorthDakota said:

As far as the lights go, I do remember it taking quite a long time to get the lights back up to game time brightness and we squeezed that time into our pre game script with less than 5 seconds of leeway. A lot of the pregame script timing was dictated to us by the Big Sky and we would have to build the video and intros around those times. If the Big Sky cut a minute or even 30 seconds from the time allotted then the lights would not be able to be back up to the required brightness and kickoff would be delayed, tv broadcast would be screwed up, etc. that's my guess as to why the lights no longer go off. 

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 0:46 PM, Alec Johnson said:

Hey guys, 

You may know me as Alec J., UND Intern on different forms of UND Media, but I wanted to just share some thoughts quick with this post.

However regarding the lights off request, the Alerus Center has decided to no longer continue with that due to the length of time it takes to turn the lights back on to full brightness. At the REA, we are not actually shutting the lights off, but covering them with individual blinds that fit over each light. Therefore, we aren't actually turning the lights on and off, just covering them. The Alerus, does not yet have this function available, so we must work with what we have.

Here were the posts that I was thinking of in regards to the reasoning on why they quit turning the lights off coming from people with direct knowledge of why it was done. However, if true I'm very glad Bubba has pushed to go back to having them off during the intro. May take a little extra work but I agree with the many on here who have said it would be well worth it.

12 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Here were the posts that I was thinking of in regards to the reasoning on why they quit turning the lights off coming from people with direct knowledge of why it was done. However, if true I'm very glad Bubba has pushed to go back to having them off during the intro. May take a little extra work but I agree with the many on here who have said it would be well worth it.

Needs to be done. Alerus Center was just plain wrong to do this considering it was done in years past just fine.

If Bubba has indeed had a talk with them about improving the atmosphere and they're on board with it, we should then expect the lights to be off this fall for team intro. Need to inject energy into the place for homefield advantage like back in the early 2000s.

40 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Needs to be done. Alerus Center was just plain wrong to do this considering it was done in years past just fine.

If Bubba has indeed had a talk with them about improving the atmosphere and they're on board with it, we should then expect the lights to be off this fall for team intro. Need to inject energy into the place for homefield advantage like back in the early 2000s.

I think last season set the table for this one which will be the redefinition of the UND football program. This season we will gain respect nationally. The atmosphere will increase big time as the football team ascends the rankings. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2016 at 10:49 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Point is, the student section needs to be decreased until the students show a desire to be there in large numbers. In the meantime, rather than having people sit at the goal line on the east side and/or stand above the endzones, they should be populating the west side mid-field seats. This absolutely needs to be done; otherwise, both the noise and general aesthetics are very poor. No reason the 50 yard line seats on the west side should be empty; limit the student section in total seats and/or position (30 yard line rather than 50 yard line). 

On the other hand, UND and the Alerus Center do have to do more with the team introduction (lights off, better video and hype building audio) and in-game entertainment in order to make all fans, including students, flock to the games (and stay there throughout). Reference the REA and/or the Fargodome.

I know we've had a discussion like this before, but the general public isn't exactly out the door to take those seats anyways. And once they're gone, the University wont feel particularly pressured to give them back if they get money on it. Decreasing the student section size (or moving them) is not a fix for attendance problems. 

To my understanding, people like standing over the end zones as well. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NoDakFan said:

I know we've had a discussion like this before, but the general public isn't exactly out the door to take those seats anyways. And once they're gone, the University wont feel particularly pressured to give them back if they get money on it. Decreasing the student section size (or moving them) is not a fix for attendance problems. 

The catwalks are the best. 

On March 3, 2016 at 8:21 AM, darell1976 said:

How about the band playing Stand Up and Cheer. Whats the point of the band if we are constantly playing music. We only hear the band before the game, and at halftime. During the game its drowned out with the music over the PA. I love the UND band and especially the song Stand Up and Cheer. I grew up listening to that at Memorial Stadium, Hyslop and Winter Sports Center, now you don't know they are there. 

My thoughts exactly. We DO have a great TD song...the fight song! Those kids work hard and spend a lot of time and energy putting that ensemble together. Give them their opportunity.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NoDakFan said:

The general public that does attend would certainly redistribute to the midfield seats on the west side, though, if given the chance over the otherwise poor seats (20 yard line to goal line seats). 

In theory, I agree that the students should be given a well located, good sized section; however, that is not the reality. For years now the students have shown up in less and less numbers as the season progresses and the west side seats at midfield are completely empty. It both looks horrible and is a waste of quality seating. 

You're right that the overall attendance won't change by redistributing seating assignments, but the utilization of quality seats will. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The general public that does attend would certainly redistribute to the midfield seats on the west side, though, if given the chance over the otherwise poor seats (20 yard line to goal line seats). 

In theory, I agree that the students should be given a well located, good sized section; however, that is not the reality. For years now the students have shown up in less and less numbers as the season progresses and the west side seats at midfield are completely empty. It both looks horrible and is a waste of quality seating. 

You're right that the overall attendance won't change by redistributing seating assignments, but the utilization of quality seats will. 

You can't really have it both ways.  You can't take away student seats and move the student section and expect more students to show up.  Doing that would discourage them from showing up.  I don't think that UND students realize how lucky they are to haev seats as good as they do.  Look at the Fargodome.  Student section is from the 20 yd line to the end zone and then behind one of the end zones.  UND studenst have prime seats.  Need to take advantage of that.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

You can't really have it both ways.  You can't take away student seats and move the student section and expect more students to show up.  Doing that would discourage them from showing up.  I don't think that UND students realize how lucky they are to haev seats as good as they do.  Look at the Fargodome.  Student section is from the 20 yd line to the end zone and then behind one of the end zones.  UND studenst have prime seats.  Need to take advantage of that.

NDSU's student section location doesn't seem to deter attendance from both the regulars and the students at NDSU (they do tremendous in terms of attendance).

Yes, UND students do have prime seats, but they don't take *full* advantage of it. Thus, the student section needs to be reduced and/or relocated so that more season ticket holders can be seated on the west side.