SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Atmosphere

GeauxSioux

14 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Agreed on all the recommendations. How about now that they have a mascot, have a hawk 'work' the crowd.  It would keep the kids interest, smiles on peoples faces and at times when the crowd should be noticed, he would be the instigator.  He could give Mark Kalk a run for his money :)   Hell, even though it's so "80s ",  bring back the wave. How about cowbells ( need more cowbells).  Towel waving?  Yes very old timer of me, but it might spark an idea for something else.    The alerus folk need help.  We should send them a intro video for Virginia tech!!!  You want goose bumps???   That will do it.   You will see 80 yr old women acting like 30 yr olds,  literally everyone is involved. Having experienced it live, I can tell  you that you hear the noise with your bones not your ears.  The absolute best thing was the chant back an forth with the opposite bleachers......crazy!!  "LETS GO........HOKIES..........LETS GO........HOKIES......LETS GO........ HOKIES!!!!!  Juiced for the rest of the game.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

22 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

They should throw in Lets Go by Trick Daddy every once and a while to keep it fresh.

...Or just about any relevant hip hop song. Young Jeezy, Lol Wayne and Jay Z and Eminem all have tracks that rock college and pro sports venues. It's been said before, the students need to show up first, that's the time to unwind act crazy and support the team. I watched a Duke basketball game the other night. Those students really enjoy themselves.  

• Upvote 1

Some people are probably going to hate this suggestion, but Can the Alerus/Betty/Ralph use a hawk scream to initiate the crowd to get up and get loud?  Play the hawk sound followed by a pump up song to get the crowd going.  I am sure there are other schools that have been successful using their animal roar, screech, etc.  Worth a try I think.  Obviously with the Sioux logo we could not do that (not gonna do the tomahawk chop or anything like that).  Now we have the opportunity to embrace the new logo and use it in our cheers.  I say do it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Woden said:

Since atmosphere helps with recruiting, could we move on from 60's and 80's music to something the recruits actually enjoy?

While I agree to a certain extent, I believe a potential recruit is not swayed by the game day music that is played, maybe more influenced by how the crowd or locals support their team, on top of many many other factors.   When the game is at a stall, spectators need to step it up and make some noise.    Whatever it takes is beyond me as I usually have lost my voice by the athem.  Catwalk is a great place to voice your opinion at the enemy btw.  For the students and younger crowd they could install new music but for anyone over 30 which is the majority of the spectators, they need a combination of old and older music.  

Perhaps one of the most influential moments for a player is the intro.  It sets the stage.   This is their time.   When they are standing in the tunnel, adrenaline flowing through their veins and nerves that are sky high, they want to rush the field to the thousands that are there to cheer them on.  The fans should erupt inducing a hair raising experience.  Everybody feeding off of each other. Win win situation.   This is where they need to get the players inputs on what they would like.  Similar as to when a boxer is entering the ring, he plays the music he wants.  

• Upvote 1

Watching games now on TV, it is pretty obvious that fan interaction and excitement has been greatly reduced because of people tuning out and looking at their smart phones.  And its not just students.  Just really annoying to see fans that are there to watch the game mentally check out spend the entire game on their phone.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Watching games now on TV, it is pretty obvious that fan interaction and excitement has been greatly reduced because of people tuning out and looking at their smart phones.  And its not just students.  Just really annoying to see fans that are there to watch the game mentally check out spend the entire game on their phone.  

Gotta see what people are saying on SiouxSports.

56 minutes ago, Cratter said:

More people is the best way to increase the atmosphere.

Spot on!!   How would you suggest to get more people?  Winning isn't always the answer, especially in gf.  The majority of people in gf have no clue und has a football team.  They need to market it and make it an event.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Spot on!!   How would you suggest to get more people?  Winning isn't always the answer, especially in gf.  The majority of people in gf have no clue und has a football team.  They need to market it and make it an event.  

So true.  Need to make UND Football the Saturday event in Grand Forks.

• Upvote 1

UND sells more tickets to their sporting events than other any FCS team, and that is with a relatively small area population. There is only so much energy and money to go around for a limited amount of people that a)enjoy sports b) enjoy UND sports c) enjoy UND sports enough to want to go d) have the time and money to go to a UND sports game. 

Marketing and winning (word of mouth/excitement for a program) is the only things a program can do. At this point, contrary to some people beliefs, I don't think UND does a bad job marketing the program. It's their job to get people to go to the games and put on a winning product so people will return. I think they do all they can given the resources. 

It is what it is.

The best way to increase attendance to football games at this point is to: A) increase the amount of tailgaters and/or B) increase the conversion rate of tailgaters attending the football game. 

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Same thing at hockey games. For that OT penalty shot there was a picture on the front page of the sports sections and I counted about 11 people in the frame right behind the net, best seats in the house for one of the rarest things in hockey, with their face buried in their phones ready to take a snapchat or a video instead of experiencing the real thing in real time. 

I had season tickets for the Viking for two years. Immigrant Song is such a sweet intro song. If I'm watching the Vikes at home on TV I'll still play it on my phone to get pumped up. Does the Alerus play the same intro song? If they do, it must suck, because I've had season tickets for 5 years and couldn't tell you what it is. If my memory serves me correct doesn't the PA announce "here comes the University of North Dakota!" followed by the band? Not terrible, but doesn't do much for me.

• Upvote 2