SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Atmosphere

GeauxSioux

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Spot on!!   How would you suggest to get more people?  Winning isn't always the answer, especially in gf.  The majority of people in gf have no clue und has a football team.  They need to market it and make it an event.  

We didn't have an attendance problem prior to moving up to DI. When Muss drove the program into the ground, people stayed home, it wasn't until Bubba arrived that people started coming back. Winning=butts in the seats.

• Upvote 2

On March 1, 2016 at 4:48 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with this (maybe even this exact song). Build some tradition; find a song and stick with it for every UND TD. Also, continue investing in fireworks; they were a nice touch, I thought. 

Let the band play give me some lovin.  We have fun with that song. 

7 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

...Or just about any relevant hip hop song. Young Jeezy, Lol Wayne and Jay Z and Eminem all have tracks that rock college and pro sports venues. It's been said before, the students need to show up first, that's the time to unwind act crazy and support the team. I watched a Duke basketball game the other night. Those students really enjoy themselves.  

Student turnout has always been good for the home opener, including last year's Potato Bowl home opener; however, the atmosphere (or lack thereof) drives students away in terms of the rest of the season. 

Although I may sound like a broken record here, more music, some consistent, exciting TD celebrations (pyrotechnics and chelsea dagger), and a better intro (lights off, music and suspense-building video) are needed to start things off. Make UND football games at the Alerus something for everyone to enjoy.

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

We didn't have an attendance problem prior to moving up to DI. When Muss drove the program into the ground, people stayed home, it wasn't until Bubba arrived that people started coming back. Winning=butts in the seats.

But we've still got a long ways to go to get attendance to an acceptable level.   Until we sell out most games and move a lot more season tickets the place simply will never have the right atmosphere.     We can talk about changing music and doing certain things after touchdowns, but in reality, the best atmosphere is a packed house at every game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

It's not that simple, though. You have to support the winning with event-type features. Music and video-board features are effectively utilized by college and pro teams that have a good to great atmosphere; it's no coincidence. Get the music and intro video (with lights off!) established and have some music playing loudly after each score. The band is traditional and a nice touch, but let's admit, they don't do enough to the atmoshphere to where the focus should be solely on them. People are out the door by the 3rd quarter with too much band and not enough music/excitement. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It's not that simple, though. You have to support the winning with event-type features. Music and video-board features are effectively utilized by college and pro teams that have a good to great atmosphere; it's no coincidence. Get the music and intro video (with lights off!) established and have some music playing loudly after each score. The band is traditional and a nice touch, but let's admit, they don't do enough to the atmoshphere to where the focus should be solely on them. People are out the door by the 3rd quarter with too much band and not enough music/excitement. 

I think it was 2013 when they dumped back in black and started a new intro with welcome to the jungle I thought that is a good choice of intro music (my favorite is Enter Sandman at Virginia Tech), along with that was a new intro showing clips of years past a good hype video. I think all of that was gone last year, the music, the video, it wasn't right. I loved the lights out, the hype video and GNR playing while UND runs through the helmet. But you would think after we have been in that building since 2001 they could find something everyone likes and stick with it like at the REA. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2016 at 9:42 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

I just don't know how the Alerus Center can consistently under perform in regards to gameday atmosphere.  There are plenty of examples that they could look at that other schools do that they can earn from an adopt.  Don't even have to go that far to see it.  Go 70 miles south and see how the Fargodome does their gameday production.  The production team at the Alerus has to be consistently researching and upgrading their in game production and looking to see what is working around the country at other Universities.  If that is not happening, that would be extremely disappointing.

Couldn't agree more - I see no evidence of this happening however.  The latest change from the Alerus is not turning out the lights.  We need a better home - one that values us.  

What's more, they act like there is absolutely no pressure to make any changes.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Irish said:

Couldn't agree more - I see no evidence of this happening however.  The latest change from the Alerus is not turning out the lights.  We need a better home - one that values us.  

What's more, they act like there is absolutely no pressure to make any changes.  

Is this really the home of UND football? If it was you would think UND could design or implement the football part of the building anyway they want. The Alerus can change the conference rooms however they like. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, TRex said:

But we've still got a long ways to go to get attendance to an acceptable level.   Until we sell out most games and move a lot more season tickets the place simply will never have the right atmosphere.     We can talk about changing music and doing certain things after touchdowns, but in reality, the best atmosphere is a packed house at every game.

We need to rescue the bandwagoners from down south.  Anything and everything will help.  Plus all the things mentioned would make for a fun day at the alerus...... Like an event...... aka the Ralph.  I wonder how many individuals are actually at the hockey game to watch the game.   I personally know a handful of people that dislike hockey but go because it's the "thing to do".  One couple has mentioned they haven't watched more then a couple periods over 7 years of attending.  I think und and the alerus people can find room to assist with football team to make it an event.  After all, football is the biggest sport in the business.  And und now has the coach to make noise.  Und and alerus now need to take the lead and be proactive.  Make it happen 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Not sure in the history of UND has the football team ever had a season of all sell outs. Of course averaging more than 10,000 a game would be nice.  

Our only sellouts (not including playoffs) has only been NDSU. They had some nice crowds in 2008, our first year in DI.

22 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Why did you leave out the rest of it? 

There is a very small contingent of azzhats that do add to the chant. But considering how some here act I can see where they would get that idea.:lol:

26 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

how inspirational...

unfortunately for you and fortunately for us, no one here cares 

Thats why people were talking about your poor game day atmosphere as opposed to ours?

ps it doesnt have to be inspirational---just fun. May be thats your problem?

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:29 PM, nodak651 said:

I like the song too.  I think they could start with that for the pregame video and transition to a more upbeat song (welcome to the jungle?).

Still think Chelsea Dagger should be the touchdown song - make it more of a UND thing than hockey only.  Everybody loves pumping their arms at the hockey games, and hockey fans should be the target market for the football marketing people.

Excellent idea for the Chelsea Dagger song.  And do like Chicago BH's do too I believe and at end of Sioux hockey and other UND sports, play that song at the end of the game whenever they win. 

8 hours ago, bison73 said:

There is a very small contingent of azzhats that do add to the chant. But considering how some here act I can see where they would get that idea.:lol:

Maybe if you exclude the student section but even then, that's a stretch. Unfortunately for you, they are part of the crowd and the most vocal. But considering how FargoU fans are, I can see why you legend it is such a small number.