SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Atmosphere

GeauxSioux

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Maybe if you exclude the student section but even then, that's a stretch. Unfortunately for you, they are part of the crowd and the most vocal. But considering how FargoU fans are, I can see why you legend it is such a small number. 

It's not the whole student section. Or wasn't anytime I was there.

3 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

I for one will never speak highly of your team.  Your team is a complete zero to me.  Bring your garbage to the South Dakota st forum, your rivals. What is it that you want?  Pats on the back??   Congratulatory return notes??  Your snide remarks are old and worn.  It's very unfortunate you azzhats couldn't stay on your own forum and circle j$&k there.  Instead you feel the need to disease up everyone else's site. 

Im good with that as we have some fans that have the same mentality as you do.  Thats not my deal. Rival or not I will give you credit where credit is due.

SDSU nope. They werent our true rival when I was at NDSU and arent our true rival now.

If you dont like others fans from other teams coming here then make the site private. I come here to share and hear different perspectives. Others come here just to get your hackles up. Just like those that come to our site.

• Upvote 2

The acoustics stink.  I know they felt the louder the music the better the atmosphere and that is just not the case.  I love the venue but when turn out is low in the stands loud music can't cover that up.  I like Bubba is supporting the other sports with the football players all geared up and doing more in the community.  Brings awareness to the guys on the team, the venue and drums up support.  I like the Chelsea Dagger idea across all sports.  Filling up the stands should be a high priority.

3 hours ago, Momster said:

The acoustics stink.  I know they felt the louder the music the better the atmosphere and that is just not the case.  I love the venue but when turn out is low in the stands loud music can't cover that up.  I like Bubba is supporting the other sports with the football players all geared up and doing more in the community.  Brings awareness to the guys on the team, the venue and drums up support.  I like the Chelsea Dagger idea across all sports.  Filling up the stands should be a high priority.

You can't force people to show up. Winning is the number one priority, and most recognize that, but the job that the productions crew has should not be overlooked. It is very important to come up with in-game features that promote an "exciting atmosphere", including team introduction, TD celebrations, 3rd down defense music cues, timely music and good selections, etc.

I've been to enough division I college football games around the country to know UND and the Alerus Center can do a better job. Heck, just go to a NDSU football game or a UND hockey game at the Ralph and see what they do; it can be done and it just requires some commitment and effort. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Concise list and I like it.

Add to that PR across all sports that drive football support.

Drive Way MORE PR About even having an indoor stadium and new facilities.  SD is trumpeting all over the place and I hardly hear about what UND is.

Theme nights-kids free, senior discounts, troll the nursing homes and assisted living places, grade school readings, and get that young kid vibe going--it is a very big deal to get kids excited because it gets parents going. Grandparents are always looking for something to do with their gk's and having kids on the team willing to get out into the community is big.

This sounds silly but make the recruiting exciting visible and highlights of the already signed players more visible.

Run campaigns on the new name of the mascot and get that going.  Even if you don't agree with the new name they should be running every campaign they can with that new name because guess what?  It's official.  Fan shots with the most creative display of the new mascot and name twitter campaigns, best baby photo with football fan gear contests...the cheesier the better.  Get em going.

Get green and white days going.

Be bold and visible about what your goals are for the year and how to get there--for every touchdown donate the football team to a team cause and blast that out.  Be the most community oriented sport on campus.

PR: Support from the Sororities/Frats/various clubs

PR: Date night that with "dinner and/or drinks at @@ whatever cheaper popular dinner place" might be with cross marketing from both to drive it

Tail-gaiting activities--fun ones. Make it an event.

What is the booster club like?  I haven't looked into this at all.  Is there football specific booster?  How active is it?

Award the local businesses with the most fan swag displayed by actually going to their business.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Momster said:

Drive Way MORE PR About even having an indoor stadium and new facilities.  SD is trumpeting all over the place and I hardly hear about what UND is.

Theme nights-kids free, senior discounts, troll the nursing homes and assisted living places, grade school readings, and get that young kid vibe going--it is a very big deal to get kids excited because it gets parents going. Grandparents are always looking for something to do with their gk's and having kids on the team willing to get out into the community is big. 

This sounds silly but make the recruiting exciting visible and highlights of the already signed players more visible.

Run campaigns on the new name of the mascot and get that going.  Even if you don't agree with the new name they should be running every campaign they can with that new name because guess what?  It's official.  Fan shots with the most creative display of the new mascot and name twitter campaigns, best baby photo with football fan gear contests...the cheesier the better.  Get em going.

Get green and gold days going.

Be bold and visible about what your goals are for the year and how to get there--for every touchdown donate the football team to a team cause and blast that out.  Be the most community oriented sport on campus.

PR: Date night that with "dinner and/or drinks at @@ whatever cheaper popular dinner place" might be with cross marketing from both to drive it

What is the booster club like?  I haven't looked into this at all.  Is there football specific booster?  How active is it?

Green and GOLD days?:huh: you meant white, right?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Momster said:

Get green and gold days going.

Award the local businesses with the most fan swag displayed by actually going to their business.  

Yeah, not sure about that one...

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You can't force people to show up. Winning is the number one priority, and most recognize that, but the job that the productions crew has should not be overlooked. It is very important to come up with in-game features that promote an "exciting atmosphere", including team introduction, TD celebrations, 3rd down defense music cues, timely music and good selections, etc.

I've been to enough division I college football games around the country to know UND and the Alerus Center can do a better job. Heck, just go to a NDSU football game or a UND hockey game at the Ralph and see what they do; it can be done and it just requires some commitment and effort.

Here's the thing though....the distorted noise that was supposed to be celebration music made people want to leave vs sit in the seats.  It was really really bad. Like painful very un-enjoyable I can't sit here any more bad.  I don't know if it was where the seats were or if it was that distorted and loud everywhere.

On Thursday, March 03, 2016 at 9:36 AM, geaux_sioux said:

They should throw in Lets Go by Trick Daddy every once and a while to keep it fresh.

...Or just about any relevant hip hop song. Young Jeezy, Lol Wayne and Jay Z and Eminem all have tracks that rock college and pro sports venues. It's been said before, the students need to show up first, that's the time to unwind act crazy and support the team. I watched a Duke basketball game the other night. Those students really enjoy themselves.  

On Friday, March 04, 2016 at 8:40 AM, Cratter said:

How's their atmosphere at football?

The football team has gone to playoffs and been supported by their fans in large numbers beating Indiana and playing against Tex A&M and losing to Johnny Manziel. But my point is, I would like so see UND students create a rowdy home field advantage for our team. 

2 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

The football team has gone to playoffs and been supported by their fans in large numbers beating Indiana and playing against Tex A&M and losing to Johnny Manziel. But my point is, I would like so see UND students create a rowdy home field advantage for our team

My point is its good to compare apple to apples. 

You talk about Duke basketball is like talking about UND hockey. 

I don't think anyone would disagree with you on the point. 

All these are good ideas and should be implemented to improve the atmosphere, but wins are what will keep people coming.

I overheard a 5th grade girl in Minot this weekend talking to her friend about how much she loves going to UND hockey games, but she's a bison fan because the UND football team sucks.  We may have lost a generation for a while, and it will take some time but Bubba is making progress...he now needs the PR machine to work as hard as he does.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

All these are good ideas and should be implemented to improve the atmosphere, but wins are what will keep people coming.

I overheard a 5th grade girl in Minot this weekend talking to her friend about how much she loves going to UND hockey games, but she's a bison fan because the UND football team sucks.  We may have lost a generation for a while, and it will take some time but Bubba is making progress...he now needs the PR machine to work as hard as he does.

The perception of NDSU vs. UND is a relevant one, although many UND fans don't want to admit to it. It will take some time, but Bubba has produced a winning program so it will continue to get better. 

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement on PR/marketing and productions; Bubba needs some help in order to get UND football where he and us want it.   You can't have a one man band with college athletics. The Alerus Center gameday  productions crew can't be complacent; this is the time to act (music, intro, cues, etc.) due to the team's budding success. 

• Upvote 1

The football players at the bb games has been a great start for student support.  It would be great if they could find a way to include more of the student body with what they are doing so the students feel part of it and have some kind of bond with the fb players.  I think something grass roots like that could carry over to fb games and other sports as well.   Maybe through Nodak Nation.

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Ummmm.......this is for a football game....not hockey!!

What UND sports fan doesn't love the sound of a goal horn?

At Gillette Stadium, New England uses the sound of a fog horn (which sounds an awful lot like a goal horn) to alert the crowd to 3rd and 4th downs.  It is a unique touch.

• Upvote 3