SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Atmosphere

GeauxSioux

38 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

How about the band playing Stand Up and Cheer. Whats the point of the band if we are constantly playing music. We only hear the band before the game, and at halftime. During the game its drowned out with the music over the PA. I love the UND band and especially the song Stand Up and Cheer. I grew up listening to that at Memorial Stadium, Hyslop and Winter Sports Center, now you don't know they are there. 

I love the band too, heck I was in the band back in the day ... for football, hockey and basketball. Hockey seems to find a balance with the band, the other sports can too. In addition to football, what is the game day atmosphere like for basketball? It has been a long time since I have been up to GF for a game. Seems like they could turn those lights out too, and put a spotlight on the players during the intros; or do they currently do that?

18 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I love the band too, heck I was in the band back in the day ... for football, hockey and basketball. Hockey seems to find a balance with the band, the other sports can too. In addition to football, what is the game day atmosphere like for basketball? It has been a long time since I have been up to GF for a game. Seems like they could turn those lights out too, and put a spotlight on the players during the intros; or do they currently do that?

Maybe a song after the TD, and the band after the XP, could be a balance, and cut out the music in between plays, they start a song for about 20 secs then it stops, whats the point, except I do like Crazy Train for 3rd downs it gets the crowd into it.

• Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

That is, when the PA guys upstairs aren't completely drowning out the band with whatever song/promo is being played.  

Until the band and the Alerus sound guy get their acts together, all is futile.

• Upvote 4

I just don't know how the Alerus Center can consistently under perform in regards to gameday atmosphere.  There are plenty of examples that they could look at that other schools do that they can earn from an adopt.  Don't even have to go that far to see it.  Go 70 miles south and see how the Fargodome does their gameday production.  The production team at the Alerus has to be consistently researching and upgrading their in game production and looking to see what is working around the country at other Universities.  If that is not happening, that would be extremely disappointing.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

That is, when the PA guys upstairs aren't completely drowning out the band with whatever song/promo is being played.  

Until the band and the Alerus sound guy get their acts together, all is futile.

I do agree with this. The sound in the Alerus is horrible, especially with the PA, the guy they had last season was bad. Its amazing that UND will start their 16th season in the Alerus and yet can't figure out all the sound problems in the building. I can't wait until we are out of there and back to a remodeled Memorial Stadium (with heated seats and a retractable roof:D).

32 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I do agree with this. The sound in the Alerus is horrible, especially with the PA, the guy they had last season was bad. Its amazing that UND will start their 16th season in the Alerus and yet can't figure out all the sound problems in the building. I can't wait until we are out of there and back to a remodeled Memorial Stadium (with heated seats and a retractable roof:D).

Don't forget personnel TV screens at every seat as well as free bottle service!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I am not a sound engineer, but I assume the metal siding doesn't help the sound problem.   

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Maybe a song after the TD, and the band after the XP, could be a balance, and cut out the music in between plays, they start a song for about 20 secs then it stops, whats the point, except I do like Crazy Train for 3rd downs it gets the crowd into it.

They should throw in Lets Go by Trick Daddy every once and a while to keep it fresh.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

^This hahaha

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I like the Chelsea Dagger idea. Would be cool to make that a song across all sports and not just men's hockey. 

This may be the idea that catches the most momentum. Time to seriously consider it. Chelsea Dagger and pyrotechnics after every UND TD? Sounds good to me. Let's get some excitement in the Alerus, even if it has to be initiated with some music first. The Ralph has no problem including some audio to kickstart the place. I've notced many times that the atmosphere starts off well in the Alerus, only to simmer down by the 3rd quarter. Using music that already has a place within UND athletics could maintain some excitement throughout the game, among the other ideas. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This may be the idea that catches the most momentum. Time to seriously consider it. Chelsea Dagger and pyrotechnics after every UND TD? Sounds good to me. Let's get some excitement in the Alerus, even if it has to be initiated with some music first. The Ralph has no problem including some audio to kickstart the place. I've notced many times that the atmosphere starts off well in the Alerus, only to simmer down by the 3rd quarter. Using music that already has a place within UND athletics could maintain some excitement throughout the game, among the other ideas. 

you're right... maybe even something routine to start the 3rd quarter again?? like an energy reset button

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

They definitely need to do something on 3rd downs. I was at a Bison game last year, and I couldn't even tell what they were all saying, but they get the whole darn place into it. UND needs to just get a little more creative, and do something with the video boards and the music to get people into it.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

They definitely need to do something on 3rd downs. I was at a Bison game last year, and I couldn't even tell what they were all saying, but they get the whole darn place into it. UND needs to just get a little more creative, and do something with the video boards and the music to get people into it.

It used to be everyone up for a 3rd down and XXXX. That was back to the Memorial Stadium days.

The PA announcer does play a pretty big role in creating the atmosphere.  At any games.  Obviously scoring, making big plays, and winning plays the main roll.  But a PA announcer that helps fans engage in the game by encouraging fans to cheer, announcing scored and big plays enthusiastically, etc when done right, can be very effective.  Last years PA guys was pretty brutal.  Maybe the Alerus needs to hold open tryouts much like the Ralph did when they found Looker.

17 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The PA announcer does play a pretty big role in creating the atmosphere.  At any games.  Obviously scoring, making big plays, and winning plays the main roll.  But a PA announcer that helps fans engage in the game by encouraging fans to cheer, announcing scored and big plays enthusiastically, etc when done right, can be very effective.  Last years PA guys was pretty brutal.  Maybe the Alerus needs to hold open tryouts much like the Ralph did when they found Looker.

Who did the PA in the 80's-90's at Memorial?

25 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210101296

So I guess they did tryouts last year.  Wow.  That was the best they could get?  No offense, but they could do a lot better.

Yeah, they need to try again.

Main focus areas though, in my opinion, are pregame team introduction (lights, music, and suspense-building video), music lineup (needs to be well-timed too; keep crowd enthused during second half), and consistent cheers/songs (post-TD celebration song; same every time).

Agreed on all the recommendations. How about now that they have a mascot, have a hawk 'work' the crowd.  It would keep the kids interest, smiles on peoples faces and at times when the crowd should be noticed, he would be the instigator.  He could give Mark Kalk a run for his money :)   Hell, even though it's so "80s ",  bring back the wave. How about cowbells ( need more cowbells).  Towel waving?  Yes very old timer of me, but it might spark an idea for something else.    The alerus folk need help.  We should send them a intro video for Virginia tech!!!  You want goose bumps???   That will do it.   You will see 80 yr old women acting like 30 yr olds,  literally everyone is involved. Having experienced it live, I can tell  you that you hear the noise with your bones not your ears.  The absolute best thing was the chant back an forth with the opposite bleachers......crazy!!  "LETS GO........HOKIES..........LETS GO........HOKIES......LETS GO........ HOKIES!!!!!  Juiced for the rest of the game.  

• Upvote 2