SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Atmosphere

GeauxSioux

29 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

What UND sports fan doesn't love the sound of a goal horn?

At Gillette Stadium, New England uses the sound of a fog horn (which sounds an awful lot like a goal horn) to alert the crowd to 3rd and 4th downs.  It is a unique touch.

It's the same goal horn our hockey team and the Bruins use.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Cratter said:

My point is its good to compare apple to apples. 

You talk about Duke basketball is like talking about UND hockey. 

I don't think anyone would disagree with you on the point. 

I am comparing apples to apples.  I used Duke as an example, because they enthusiastically  also support their football team based on watching them on ESPN. Eventhough basketball is the main sport. We have hockey to compete with for entertainment dollars. Same can be said for any number of schools that field a football program that had and is projected to have a strong year in 2016 like UND. 

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Gotta love bubba!!   My top 2 recommendations are:

1). Make the west side all general seating 

2).  Absolutely need an explosive introduction when the players run out. 

His team team needs to take care of business plus those 2 recommendations should be a start 

I do think that the students will eventually come back to supporting this program better than they currently are.  I like your 1st idea, but I propose this slight tweek to it.  Keep the student section reserved for students until 30 minutes before kickoff.  After that, it becomes general admission.  No need to have people sit in the endzone when there are seats 20 roes up at the 50 yard line that are available!!  If the students won't sit there, give someone else that actually is there to support the program the ability to sit in better seats.

• Upvote 2

I would disagree with making the west side all general seating.   I've had seats on the west side for years and like knowing our seats will be there, even when tailgating runs a little long.   I think most fans with assigned seats on the west side would agree.  The real solution is to get more students and new fans into the seats that aren't routinely filled.  I think we'll see more and more of that this fall.

28 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

I would disagree with making the west side all general seating.   I've had seats on the west side for years and like knowing our seats will be there, even when tailgating runs a little long.   I think most fans with assigned seats on the west side would agree.  The real solution is to get more students and new fans into the seats that aren't routinely filled.  I think we'll see more and more of that this fall.

Bought season tickets this spring on the west side. Hope I'm not booted to somewhere I don't want to be.

36 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

Point is, the student section needs to be decreased until the students show a desire to be there in large numbers. In the meantime, rather than having people sit at the goal line on the east side and/or stand above the endzones, they should be populating the west side mid-field seats. This absolutely needs to be done; otherwise, both the noise and general aesthetics are very poor. No reason the 50 yard line seats on the west side should be empty; limit the student section in total seats and/or position (30 yard line rather than 50 yard line). 

On the other hand, UND and the Alerus Center do have to do more with the team introduction (lights off, better video and hype building audio) and in-game entertainment in order to make all fans, including students, flock to the games (and stay there throughout). Reference the REA and/or the Fargodome.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

If you had to guess, how many  reserved seats are on the west side.....minus the student section??   How about general for only the top half?     My thought is that, like old memorial with one dedicated general side, it's gives the groups of tailgaters that usually stay outside a reason to come in.  I've heard numerous times that they don't want to split from their group, which is usually big in numbers.   Drinking people bring a lot of atmosphere to a game. Plus the catwalk is getting full 

On March 3, 2016 at 9:02 AM, siouxfan512 said:

I love the band too, heck I was in the band back in the day ... for football, hockey and basketball. Hockey seems to find a balance with the band, the other sports can too. In addition to football, what is the game day atmosphere like for basketball? It has been a long time since I have been up to GF for a game. Seems like they could turn those lights out too, and put a spotlight on the players during the intros; or do they currently do that?

I think the lights had to do with the band. A couple of band member last year or the year before I believe had seizures when the lights went out. 

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:40 PM, darell1976 said:

I think it was 2013 when they dumped back in black and started a new intro with welcome to the jungle I thought that is a good choice of intro music (my favorite is Enter Sandman at Virginia Tech), along with that was a new intro showing clips of years past a good hype video. I think all of that was gone last year, the music, the video, it wasn't right. I loved the lights out, the hype video and GNR playing while UND runs through the helmet. But you would think after we have been in that building since 2001 they could find something everyone likes and stick with it like at the REA. 

I think they should run out to, "Now You've Got Something to Die For," by Lamb of God . . .

38 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

I think the lights had to do with the band. A couple of band member last year or the year before I believe had seizures when the lights went out. 

Very unfortunate; nevertheless, it needs to now be reassessed. The lights need to come off for the intro, and the athletic department needs to spare time on the golf course this summer and actually look into improving the atmoshphere via both video and audio. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I do think that the students will eventually come back to supporting this program better than they currently are.  I like your 1st idea, but I propose this slight tweek to it.  Keep the student section reserved for students until 30 minutes before kickoff.  After that, it becomes general admission.  

Can't anyone already sit in the student section...in a sense it's already general admission.

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

If you had to guess, how many  reserved seats are on the west side.....minus the student section??   How about general for only the top half?     My thought is that, like old memorial with one dedicated general side, it's gives the groups of tailgaters that usually stay outside a reason to come in.  I've heard numerous times that they don't want to split from their group, which is usually big in numbers.   Drinking people bring a lot of atmosphere to a game. Plus the catwalk is getting full 

There is plenty of seats for those group of tailgaters to sit together. They don't need to split up their group.

12 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Can't anyone already sit in the student section...in a sense it's already general admission.

Yes, closer to kickoff you see people move in to the student section.        The ushers only stop people with adult beverages in their hands, which are theoretically not allowed in the student section.  

4 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

Yes, closer to kickoff you see people move in to the student section.        The ushers only stop people with adult beverages in their hands, which are theoretically not allowed in the student section.  

In all my years on the west side both as a season ticket holder and student. I've never seen an usher check a single ticket....

The student section alcohol ban also keeps some students at the game out of the student section.

• Upvote 1